before and after: barb’s hutch makeover

today’s final before & after makeover comes courtesy of knack studios‘ barb blair. she found this fantastic wooden hutch and added a fresh coat of orange paint and new hardware to give the piece a new life. i love the bold color and those little star details in the door- the orange paint really makes them more noticeable. thanks so much to barb for sharing- you can find out more about her work with knack studios right here. [the painting inside barb’s hutch was done artist kyle buttram]

1. Fiona says:

I am late, too, but I don’t understand the furor. The before looked like laminate, not like beautiful wood, even in a photo. I think the orange is fun, and sheesh, people, it can be repainted again!

2. Kristan says:

I’m late too, but omg I love that orange!! The wood was beautiful, but very… plain? Nothing wrong with it, at all, but I think the orange is fantastic too.

3. Jodi says:

I know I’m late in replying but..I was just looking on craigslist and this before hutch is for sale in the Dallas, Tx area for $250.

4. Susan D. says:

I like this a lot better in orange. It had possibilities before but didn’t
    stand out. An excellent paint job brings it into the room and into the imagination.

5. Ashley says:

I have to say veneer or no, the first piece is better because of the visual interest brought by variegations in grain, stripes, and the stars. With the gloss orange, these qualities were lost. That is what I think many of us are lamenting and I wholeheartedly agree…and normally I prefer bright colors and modern design over wood or natural looks.

6. .v. says:

the dialogue here is a great example of how most people do not read through the comments before posting their two cents… get over it people – this piece was not real wood, and even if it had been, (as a few people also suggested) to each his/her own! i LOVE the orange!

7. issy says:

really nice job. furniture is not sacred – it looks much more vibrant with color. i love the glass and knobs too. great work.

8. Lynn Scott says:

I like it they have brought it back to life,and noticed after it has been painted that is what thinking outside the box means,to see things and coulor diffrently,it has caught attention!

9. kiki says:

how do you remove or paint over laminate/veneer?

10. Jason says:

This is a piece of Broyhill(Premier) Saga line from the 1960s. I have it and the matching dining table and chairs – fabulous!

No comment on the paint:)

11. Caroline says:

Love the bright Orange!!! I think the wood looks cheap & dated, the paint gives it a fresh new look!! Great Job @BarbBlair :-) #loveDIY