etsy weddings: modern registry guide

part of me still can’t believe that i’m actually engaged! so when the etsy crew asked me to create a piece on modern registry sources and non-traditional (emphasis on handmade) registry ideas i jumped at the chance. i’ve written to so many brides over the years with ideas for gifts, registries and decorations i can’t tell you what a sheer thrill it is to finally write about the topic and be able to think of what i’d like for my own wedding. all i can say is that my stomach does about 15 flip flops and i break out in a huge beaming smile. everyone says that wedding planning is supposed to be stressful and awful but so far things have been fantastic and i hope this guide will help anyone else in the wedding planning boat think of some great options for modern registries and homegoods. click here to check it out. and click here to check out the full etsy handmade wedding series so far.

[image above: cake by lovin sullivan and birds by ann wood]

1. kgr says:

Wedding planning was such a joy for me. Your description of “15 flip flops” and “a huge beaming smile” is so perfect. Have a great time and congratulations!

2. mrs. french says:

Such a beautiful cake. I wish I could have another wedding…unfortunately I am quite attached to Mr. French.

3. I’m so excited for you — I loved wedding planning (there were stressful moments, but not too many) and mostly, I was just so happy (and it sounds like you are too)! I can’t wait to see how lovely you make yours. xo

4. Craig says:

At the end of the day, however, it is impractical to actually register for all of these places where you want two or three items…especially if your family is not very comfortable shopping online. So it all points back to BB&B where you can cash out and go buy what you want.

5. Congratulations Grace! I saw the article and front page on Etsy!

6. Sarah says:

What a fantastic guide! Though I hope I never have to get married again… ;)

7. lealou says:

Thanks for this Grace! I’m just shy of 6 weeks from my own wedding — I share your flip flop feelings — and cannot wait for the big day — best wishes to you and AC!

8. Tara says:

Love your Etsy weddings info — thank you!

While you’re on the registry subject, I just had to put in a word for my favorite option, the Alternative Gift Registry. (www.alternativegiftregistry.org) You can link to any item from any store (so it works for those “two or three things per store” that Craig mentioned), as well as request non-commercial items like day-of assistance or favorite family recipes. I can’t believe no one created something like it sooner! (Though maybe it took a nonprofit to step in, since most other registries are run by interested businesses in some way….)

9. Katie says:

I’m super pumped about all the wedding odds’Nends you’ve been posting. I’m getting married in July and while i love the planning i also need that extra boost of new stuff when things start to get stessful (and look the same!)

thanks!

10. Great article! You could open a special etsy profile and list all the things that you want to register for in your favorites. Mark knows to pick out any presents for me from my Etsy favorite items.

11. jill says:

hi grace!
    im one of the brides you’ve written too. im so happy for you that you’re engaged! my wedding is in two months and i havent even registered yet!!! this is just what i needed. xo

12. Great article on Etsy. Love all the items too.

13. ellen says:

wow, I wish this had been around when I was planning my wedding in September! I spent hours and hours on Etsy, (wait, I still do that!) What a great idea!

14. wish I could go back and do it again this way!!

15. Thanks, Grace, for your kind inclusion of us in your Etsy article. As you mentioned, we’re happy to accommodate any sort of gifting arrangement – be that a group purchase, a customized work of art, or even credit in our Etsy shop/studio for the bride and groom to use later. We happen to use ThisNext to create our wishlists (thisnext.com/by/dgartist/wishlist), but the next article in the Handmade Wedding series has many other great tips for creating custom online registries, especially from a wide range of shops and sellers. ..Ali Walsh, dolangeiman.etsy.com

16. Emily says:

How exciting! I know it is early for you but you have to check out bklynbride’s blog, it is perfect for you and then you can check out mine too, :)awindycitywedding.blogspot.com, good luck it is so much fun!

17. Dorana says:

design sponge – i just wanted to share with you the prelaunch of our new HANDMADE REGISTRY community! we would love your feedback and input!

siempre – dorana

18. I love seeing articles like this and the interest in alternative registries.

Where an engaged couple chooses to register is a statement to their friends and family about who they are and what they value. Young couples are growing increasingly dissatisfied with registering with the same stodgy retailers their parents used . Young couples are looking for a more rewarding experience, something different, a registry that reflects their personality.

You should check-out Knackregistry.com, which is a service that allows the modern couple to build a one of a kind registry, and let their friends and family know that they support artists, artisans and small businesses in their local community. Be great to see more people adding items from Etsy to their registries.