diy wednesdays: inside out security envelopes

getting a bill in the mail isn’t any fun, but you know what they say about lemons and lemonade, right? being small business owners, we get tons of bills, and over the years we’ve been collecting the ones with interesting security patterns printed on the insides. we’ve used them in various craft projects here and there, but one of our favorites requires practically no materials or skill and is a great way to whip up some unique and wonderful stationery.

have fun!
derek & lauren

Inside Out Security Envelopes

Here’s what you’ll need:
-envelopes with printed interior security patterns
-letter opener or blade
-glue stick (tombow glue sticks are our favorite!)

1. Carefully de-construct your envelopes using your fingers, a letter opener or a blade, making sure not to rip the paper.

2. Unfold the envelope completely, and flip over so printed side is facing down. re-fold the envelope inside-out along the score lines and apply glue along any seams that overlap. to seal the envelopes, we put a little glue along the top edge and tucked it under the main envelope flap for a clean finish. done!

1. Tributary says:

Such a simple idea, but so great! I’ve used the inside prints for other craft projects, but this will be another fun thing to do!

2. Cate says:

I find this idea rather exciting!

3. Avenue says:

Brilliant! I can’t believe I just threw away 3 junk credit card offers yesterday.

4. Super idea.

I use these papers as backing papers for greeting cards and also to fold origami shirts for men’s greeting cards.

maggie

5. Meredith says:

I often re-use utility bill envelopes to send the odd rent/studio rent check in, but this idea will upgrade my unused bill envelope collection to friend letter status! Thanks for the great idea

6. Too funny… I meant to show you my collection of bill envelopes I have hiding in a box under the bed when you were here last week. I have done the very same thing and used many of them for mailing out the ATC’s.
    FLIP IT AND REVERSE IT!

7. Jessica says:

I Love this idea – what a great way to recycle too!

8. Carly says:

damn. this is freaking brilliant. I’m so going to have to try this.

9. trish says:

Please don’t drop them in the mail in the USA with the return address in the lower window. The postal sorting equipment will use the lower address as the delivery address and your letter will be returned.

10. This is a wonderful idea. When I soak stamps off of paper (usually the corner torn off of an envelope), I keep the little bits because the patterns are so beautiful. I’m still not sure what I will do with them, but I can’t bear to throw them away.

11. Ditzy Me says:

Love it! Have been doing this since I saw this post, and though my teenage daughter thinks I’m easily amused (and that’s not necessarily in a good way), I shall carry on. I think it’s a brilliant idea.

12. andy says:

way cool, i always liked those designs

13. Mel M. M. M. says:

Sheer Brilliance. Thanks so much for sharing it! :0)

14. Eve says:

This is a really brilliant idea, thanks for posting!

15. Chris says:

I use steam. It’s much easier and neater. It doesn’t make the pattern bleed, or separate the windowpane glue.

16. Adi says:

Love love love this idea! What were some of the other projects you did with the envelopes??

17. Amy says:

What a neat idea!! : )

18. Christina says:

I just started a summer job as a receptionist and was looking at all those envelopes in the trash thinking, “Where did I see something about finding the insides of these wonderful envelopes?” Thank goodness I remembered. I hope I don’t get fired for stowing away these beauties :)

19. How simple! I would never have thought of it. Only…I don’t even get many security envelopes, either these days!

20. Sara says:

my bills are boring. the envelopes don’t have patterns on the inside. :(

21. Kris Hackbart says:

I had to laugh, my Grandpa did this years ago, he didn’t like to throw things away. We’d get letters from Grandma in these inside-out envelopes all the time!