before and after: whitney’s couch

i’ve been sifting through all 500 entries for the d*s diy contest (yikes!) and along the way some of the incredible entries have seemed better suited for a great before and after than a diy project. this beautiful couch makeover from artist whitney gaylord is a perfect example- she made a slipcover for this previously sad-looking hand-me-down camelback sofa and now she’s got a thoroughly cute couch on her hands. thanks to whitney for sharing!

1. Jude says:

Wow looks like it was done by a pro!

2. Pixie says:

This just amazes me. Do you need advanced skills to do that?

3. Victoria says:

Beautiful! Love how the pattern on the base of the couch matches with the cushion.

4. jane says:

I have a similar couch—does she tell how she made the slipcover? It is beautifully done!

5. meagan says:

i have a chair done in this exact fabric – gorgeous!

6. Marta says:

I have a couch that really needs something like this. It looks great!

7. Meg says:

The sad looking cat helps make her before picture even better!

Where is the happy kitty in the after photo!

8. Helen Dardik says:

WOW! Incredible! I want to reupholster something immediately! We need a tutorial on this!

9. shannon says:

gorgeous! i can’t believe that’s a slipcover. impeccable!

10. Judith says:

Totally fabulous. Would love to know more.

11. lydia says:

wow,…i am literally droooooling over that couch! i want it!!!

12. Whitney says:

Thanks for the comments everyone! Slipcovers are super easy: try to use as few pieces as possible, drape the fabric over the sofa and draw the shapes of each piece (measuring often helps). Then cut them out and again drape them over the sofa inside-out. This time, pin all the pieces together, fitting it like you would to make a dress. For a sofa like this where the arms are wider than the back, I added a vertical zipper that goes down the middle of the back piece so it can be put on (and off for washing) easily.

13. read me... says:

This looks so much like my cat, Mab on the before sofa! Love the after job.

14. Sarah says:

WOW!!! That looks amazing! My husband and I are currently trying to do the same thing on a very similar shaped couch….does she say how she did it exactly? A pattern or tips??? That would be incredibly helpful for us!

15. mandy says:

i have a vintage sofa that i really want to reupholster – it’s very similar to this one – but am VERY scared to attempt it. if there were a tutorial on this i would LOVE YOU FOREVER!

16. Brenna says:

Great before and after! Do you know the source for the fabric? Thanks for sharing!

17. jennifer in sf says:

How is that a slipcover?? It looks so great.

18. Alison says:

Very nice. I’d like to know how much time / experience / money this took to do.

19. Courtnay says:

Looks fantastic! I think I have the same couch. Is there anyway she could post a pattern or directions? I would love to this to mine!

20. Emily says:

I would also LOVE to know how much time/money/etc this took!!!! Also, what fabric is this?!

21. Emily says:

I love your before and after photos! The furniture looks completely transfomed. Thanks for the eye candy! :)
    Emily @ Material Girls

22. Mary says:

The is hope for my dying college dorm furniture! What a great idea. Fabric choice is gorgeous.

23. Maureen says:

This is just gorgeous but well beyond my skills imho. I’m glad to see someone succeed in doing this tho.

24. Whitney says:

This project is really so easy- I have only self taught experience. It took several hours, but only 1 day. The fabric is from and was only $12 a yard, and I think I used about 7 yards. Its a great medium weight canvas- perfect for upholstery. good luck everyone!

25. wow, she did an INCREDIBLE job with this. really amazing.

26. farrah says:

agree that the process you used would be great to know in detail… i have a very similar couch in need of a slipcover but am not sure where to start…

27. Sarah Doyle says:

PLEASE share the directions with us! It would be such a great thing to be able to do. We all want a step by step tutorial!!!

28. Jessica says:

that is a fantastic after…

29. SLD says:

This is really impressive — I am awed at how the cushion pattern and the slipcover pattern align EXACTLY … wow!! I would also love a how-to.

30. Nice! It looks fantastic! :)

31. kimberly says:

I’ve done some rehab work on a couple of pieces of furniture. This is really beautiful. Nice work

32. Debbie Garvey says:

I have the same couch and can’t find a slipcover for it. Do you sell these? I want to put the couch in my daughters room that is pink with white polka dots.

33. April says:

Looks great! I love the new fabric. Is there a name for this kind of print? I’ve been looking for something similar and can’t seem to come up with the words to describe it.

34. Meghan says:

It looks like I have the exact same couch as you and it’s in desperate need of a slipcover! Any chance you have a pattern?

35. patricia says:

truly smashing…. question: is there welting on the slipcover? … am struggling with bolts of duck cloth and a dearth of talent…

thank you.