before and after: virginia’s telephone bench

a few months back i saw this fantastic mid-century telephone bench at a vintage store on atlantic avenue in brooklyn. the pricetag was pretty high and the condition of the bench was pretty dire so i decided to pass; but now that i’ve seen blogger and crafter virginia‘s telephone bench makeover i’m kicking myself for not seeing past the stains, scratches and old-age. virginia stripped and sanded her thrift store find and added two spray-painted layers of lovely lime green paint. she reupholstered the seat in a sukie tea towel and voila, instant upgrade. you can read more about virginia’s telephone bench project right here. thanks to virginia for sharing.

1. ThePeachTree says:

It’s always so amazing to me when people find such potential out of what looks like something worn and worried! Beautiful work!

2. Judith says:

I think that’s fabulous! I’m inspired.

3. Alicia says:

I love it!

4. annejelynn says:

I love this piece! it’s perfect for the 9 yr old to stash his stuff, for when he returns later, able to cop a squat and throw on his shoes, grab his stuff and run for the door! awesome piece – – I’ll now be on the hunt for one myself!

5. shing says:

i loooove the colours, and especially how it works so well with that wall. That’s an amazing transformation.

6. themediatrix says:

Just adorable!!

7. crule says:

I think it’s wonderful. Especially love the tea-towel seat cover with the paint; great combination.

8. katie says:

wonderful, i need this piece of forniture!

9. JuliaL says:

I’m going to look for a telephone bench today!

10. Kara says:

That is FABULOUS!! My mom has a telephone bench that she’s saving for me. Can’t wait until I’m settled down so I can take it

11. selena says:

wow. WOW! a ton of these go for sale on my local CL and i never bother to see their potential. this is awesome inspiration.

12. d'Auria says:

i use that lime green spray paint for EVERYTHING.

it’s like a dose of steroids for a tired… anything, really.

13. julz says:

how fun! that would most definitely bring a smile to my face to see daily!

14. Niki says:

In my grandmother’s house there is a great telephine bench I grew up seeing everytime I would visit. As a chils I always loved to sit on it and pretend as if I was having the most glamorous and grownup telephone conversations! What a trip down memory lane! Now I have to find one for my own home!

15. kristin says:

brilliant idea! i am looking at the telephone benches in a whole new light now! i’d better start looking now – before they’re all taken!

16. erinberry says:

Inspiring! I see quite a few of these at estate sales but people (including me) seem to pass them by. Will rethink it next time!

17. oh, I am sooooooooooooooooo bumed. I saw a piece like this at a thrift store and didn’t get it. Now, I must go check and see if no one’s snatched it. I love this piece.

Too cute!

18. Susan says:

Great job, Virginia! I just love it!

19. Virginia says:

Thanks so much everyone! I’ll tell you we had that thing kicking around for 2 years at the cottage before it finally drove me crazy and I had to do something to make less atrocious! And seeing all the laquered/painted pieces on Design*Sponge was absolutely inspiring, I had to do my own take on it…..

20. molly says:

Love it! The color is perfect!

21. Suzanne says:

i always thought of telephone benches as a bit old-timey.. certainly not anymore!!
    it is so cute, like a little nook! :)

22. Brianna, 14 says:

OMG.To Gorgeous. Me & my mom lovvveeess this telephone bench ! I’ve already got an antique dresser & writing desk, all i need is this!!!! Im DYING for this.Ha ha my mom is now lurking through thrift stores lately.Now i absolute adore antique things x3