[Note: Today we'll be posting the top 20 Finalists in the 2008 D*S DIY Contest. Four finalists will be posted an hour from 9 am to 1pm. Once you've seen the top 20 click here to cast your vote. Details on today's voting process are right here]
9. Angie’s George Nelson-Inspired Jewelry Cabinet
- Description: Working in the fashion industry, Angie has built up a large collection of accessories and jewelry. Inspired by George Nelson’s mid-century chest, but unable to afford the $1400 price tag, Angie created her own version using Ikea drawers and an Ikea table base (which she stained and then lined with vintage wrapping paper and cream colored felt).
10. Kirsten’s Suitcase Dog Bed
- Description: Kirsten created this unique dog bed for her dachshund using fabric and a vintage suitcase.
11. Susannah’s Shelves
- Description: Tired of ‘crappy pressed-wood IKEA bookshelves’ and in love with Atlas shelving, Susannah decided to create her own affordable, DIY version. She cut and stained wood, and then built the U-shaped shelves with her trusty power-drill. She then used an IKEA freestanding standard/bracket system, which was spray painted white to ‘be less hideous’. Total project cost: $200.
12. Melissa’s DIY Crib
- Description: Melissa is 7 and a half months pregnant with her first baby (a girl). She lives in a small one bedroom apartment with her husband so they didn’t want to buy an oversized crib that would take up all their space. So they created this entirely DIY version (including the matrress and bumper pads) using wood and details like hand painted white floral patterns.
*note: safety guidelines suggest placing crib slats closer together. if you’d like to replicate this crib before we’ve posted instructions please note the nsc’s safety tips and alter the structure accordingly. we will be noting this change when full instructions are posted.