[Note: Today we’ll be posting the top 20 Finalists in the 2008 D*S DIY Contest. Four finalists will be posted an hour from 9 am to 1pm. Once you’ve seen the top 20 click here to cast your vote. Details on today’s voting process are right here. Entries 1-4 are right here, or on page two of the blog]
17. Jane’s Lace Bowl
- Description: Jane repurposed an old doily into this beautiful lacey bowl. She “mended” the old doily using masking tape and paper (sewn on with my sewing machine) and added some embroidery, buttons and other bits and pieces to create the finished bowl.
18. Suzanne’s Wall Mural
- Description: Suzanne created this DIY mural on her bedroom wall. The sloped shape of the walls on either side of the bedroom window ‘seemed to lend themselves to a forest mural’ so Suzanne painted the forest and then created separate paintings of forest creatures to be hung amongst the branches (including an owl with glow-in-the-dark eyes!)
19. Abigail’s Cork Trivets and Coasters
- Description: Abigail designed a trivet and coaster set made from reclaimed wine corks. She cut the corks into thick slices/discs and then stitched them together with two quick stitches. Each cork yielded about 8-10 slices depending on length and it took about 80 slices to make the trivet and two coasters. She arranged them so that they ‘formed a nice geometric pattern that played w/negative space’.
20. Kelly’s Craft Belt
- Description: A senior fibers major at the Savannah College of Art and Design, Kelly created this home crafting utility belt using vintage men’s suit pockets and vintage sheets for the sash and bindings. She wanted to create a product for environmentally conscious crafters and says ‘long live DIY!’ [photos by Brad Wenner]