[Note: Today we'll be posting the top 20 Finalists in the 2008 D*S DIY Contest. Four finalists will be posted an hour from 9 am to 1pm. Once you've seen the top 20 click here to cast your vote. Details on today's voting process are right here]
1. Lauren and Joel’s Subscription Table
- Description: Lauren and Joel have a daily subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle and the old newspapers were starting to pile up. Instead of tossing them out they turned them into a side table using newspaper, tape, twine and a clear glass plate.
2. Matthew’s Homemade Coat Hooks
- Description: Matthew made his minimalist handmade hooks using a single H-shaped piece of hand cut steel. Bent around and squeezed by a desktop vice to form the hook shape, each steel hook provides 4 spaces for hanging coats, scarfs or whatever else takes your fancy.
3. Maya’s Kids Table and Chairs
- Description: Maya’s DIY child’s table and chair set is made from a contractor-grade cardboard tube. Using materials like cardboard, foam, fabric and a pizza pan, Maya created this set than can be broken down and partially recycled/reused (the cardboard and pizza pan) when outgrown.
4. Natasha’s Baby Doll Coat Rack
- Description: Natasha’s quirky coat rack made out of doll baby parts was inspired by an episode of “Dexter“. Using a $2 thrift store doll, Natasha took apart the pieces and mounted them onto a piece of wood that she sanded and painted.