sneak peek: winifred grace

our first sneak peek today belongs to chicago- based jewelry designer winifred gundeck. winnie lives in a 1000 square foot 1 BR apartment in the boystown area of lakeview. she shares her space with her new fiance benjamin, a cat and a dog named guffman. as always you can click here to see full-sized and (many) extra photos of winnie’s home (including additional commentary from winnie). thanks to winnie and benjamin for sharing their apartment with us! there are several photos after the jump so you can click here for the full post or click “read more” below. enjoy!

[Our apartment is a mix of meaningful old and affordable new. It is filled with memories and reminders of my family which is very important to me since I live so far away from them. In fact as I sat down to write these descriptions I realized how empty my home would be without hand me downs and gifts! I’m not set on one style in particular but I do tend to adore Mid Century Modern mixed with just about anything. I LOVE to rearrange furniture and rehang art. It is a totally CHEAP way to give your apartment a whole new feel. Rehanging art usually takes me several hours, sometimes days, and if you look closely my walls are heavily peppered with tiny little nail holes! Also, I recently started using pillows to spice things up and now I can’t get enough of them – they’re like jewelry for your home! When it comes to arranging furniture, I’m not much on Feng Shui but I do believe that a room should welcome its’ visitors with open arms. So, welcome!]

[Left: The piece above the fireplace is a hand print on cotton linen produced in the 1970s by Riverside, Illinois based textile company Elenhank Designers Inc. and is called Beau Jardin. The painting in front of the fireplace is by an Atlanta artist and dear friend of my parents, Nancy Franke. Right: I found the Platner arm chair (above) at an antique store on Lincoln Avenue]

[The ceramic piece on the left hand wall is another item from my grandfather’s house. Teak lamp from the Broadway Antique Mall. Teak chair from my grandfather’s house. The table was another one of the first pieces of furniture I ever bought, and it now serves as a roomy bedside table for Benjamin. Platform bed from West Elm.]

[Left: I love the clean lines of the white “all occasion” table from Ikea which sits opposite the sofa in our living room. Below the table is an old trunk (one of the first pieces of furniture I ever bought) which I just recently painted white. It stores extra bed linens and pillows. The bamboo cushions (purchased at A New Leaf on Wells Street) serve as extra seating during dinner parties. Right: The carved side table to the right of the sofa is one that my grandfather brought back from his travels in India years ago. The top comes off and the table actually folds up like a screen so he just packed it up in his suitcase and brought it home on the plane over 50 years ago. The larger scale white lamp is actually white leather, and the bamboo shade is the original. The multi-colored crochet afghan on the arm of the sofa was made by my Auntie Grace (my namesake), and the sequined pillow is another find from Jayson Home & Garden’s sale world which happens year round in their basement. I think the pillow is wonderful, although my fiance claims the pillow “cuts him”. Who knew a pillow could be so violent?]

[Left: The lined linen curtains from Restoration Hardware help keep the cold air out of our bedroom in the winter. Our dog Guffman helps keep the bed warm too! Duvet from Anthropologie. Right: I did a small make over in the bathroom, replacing the old glass sliding shower door with a plush white shower curtain, removed the glued on mirror and 80s light fixture above the sink and replaced it with a “bamboo” framed mirror that I found on sale in the basement of Jayson Home & Garden. I also replaced the hardware with brass pulls from Anthropologie similar to those in the kitchen]

[I couldn’t afford to redo the kitchen when I moved in so I tried to offset the country style of the white cabinetry, appliances, and floor with a more sophisticated dark brown semi-gloss on the walls. The kitchen stools are from CB2 and the green ikat pillows are from West Elm. ]

1. jennifer says:

Great Space! It may sound unusual but i love the plant in the first pic. The leaves are striking. A philodendron of some kind??? Do you know the lovely greens real name? Thanks for sharing.

2. hannah says:

that sofa looks cozy. can anyone identify it?
    glad to see that I’m not the only one who tolerates a dog on the duvet!

3. JJ says:

i second the sofa request….anyone know who makes it…stylish and comfy looking!

4. Kitty says:

jennifer, it’s an Alocasia!

5. Winnie says:

The sofa is from Jayson Home & Garden. I might be wrong, but I’m pretty sure it’s the Gracie?

Thanks for the comments!

6. i love that bedspread & lamp beside it!

7. JJ says:

Thanks for sofa update Winnie. No luck w/Jayson Home & Garden, maybe I will find somewhere else!

8. nicole says:

So beautiful, light and airy! If only one day I can get my place to have that same feeling!

9. Melissa says:

Winnie…so great to see your beautiful home! Now I love your jewelry and your home style. Your home is simply as nice as you…hope I can shop in your studio again soon!

10. moodboard says:

I love the sequined pillow even though it is dangerous;)

11. grace says:

the photos should be public- just let me know if anyone can’t open the flickr set.

grace

12. leigh compton says:

We purchased the gracie sofa from Z Gallerie, although I don’t think it is available anymore. I would not recommend buying furniture from Z gallerie. The first sofa arrived after 20 weeks ( not the quoted (8-10) and the frame was broken. A second sofa arrived in 10 weeks but the cushions were understuffed. We filled the cushions with batting ourselves and have been pleased with the results. But, Z-Gallerie was a mess to deal with, zero customer service! I think Storehouse furniture manufactured the sofa and sold it through other retailers, they have since gone out of business.

13. KellyS says:

I love your solution to put some color by the fireplace. I have a very similar one, and really hate the peachy-colored ceramic tile surround, with the typical gold & oak trimmed door. Yours is a good solution vs. tearing out the whole mess. (Now, how to keep the kids from knocking it over…?)

14. melanie says:

love the stools in the kitchen, and of course all of the beautiful art!!! I used to live in Boystown before I moved to NYC. I miss it so much. It is such a great neighborhood, and my apartment was fabulous (and affordable!)…spaces like this remind me of how MUCH i miss Chicago!!!

15. jenny says:

love this – truly inspiring.
    wish I’d seen this before I went mad one night and took all the plaster off my fireplace surround… should have left it on and put artwork in the space!

gorgeous home

16. Hillary says:

is it me or are the photos still private? I cant see them in full when i click on them!!

17. d'Auria says:

Jennifer, the plant is indeed an Alocasia but more specifically I believe it to be an Alocasia Amazonica. It is so independent and full of drama!

18. Kari says:

That cat is so cute. Is her name Winnie too?

19. beth rn says:

you so stylin’!!!

20. Winnie- I *love* your place- the colors are fantastic and i love the eclectic feeling it has- it totally reminds me of your fun and whimsical spirit! Bravo!

21. Bouj says:

What a fabulous apartment! You have such an amazing flare. I especially love the small blue ceramic tile above the sofa… and of course the beautiful cat and pooch!

22. Lynn Scott says:

Your flat has nice clean lines no clutter soft lights that bring out the blue,I would say timeless simplicity.

23. Love your home, I just love that couch, it looks so comfortable there is nothing better than a that, you home is simple yet very personal too.

24. Bellafabric says:

I’ve been researching elenhank designs and your elenhank is mid-late 1960s. 1970s elenhank style is natural tones, finer lines, and a more sophistated subject. You’ve got a great piece there.