sleeper sofa roundup

1161.jpg
i finally reloaded the HG sofa guide i created onto d*s so today’s final post is all about sofas. the regular guide is live and included a wide range of sofa styles but people have been asking for a more targeted futon and sleeper sofa roundup so i thought i’d end today with just that. the guide is mainly sleeper sofas and a few daybeds because, well, i hate futons. sure, you can find a futon for $300 but for not much more you can get a regular sleeper sofa at ikea that is, i can say from experience, at least twice as comfortable. when i moved in with ac he had a futon that we practically lived on and i think our backs are both worse for the wear. we upgraded to an ikea couch and while we didn’t love it, it was an improvement over the futon. we’ve since moved on to a room and board couch but if you’re looking for something that serves as both a couch and bed i highly suggest a sleeper sofa or daybed. so, here’s the full guide for all your sleeping/sitting needs. the guide continues well after the jump so click here for the full post or click “read more” below. see you tomorrow!

[image above: twilight sleep sofa $1650]

2124.jpg
[image above, clockwise from top left: case study day bed $1698, twilight sofa with black frame $1800, ps murbo sofa $429, sliding sofa $3500, alex III sleeper sofa, classic roll arm sleeper from mgbw, murbo sofa bed in orange $329]

455.jpg
[image above: basic futon from west elm $149+]

536.jpg
[image above, clockwise from top left: lounge sofa bed $1598, veranda daybed $499, karlstad with storage $949, city sofa bed $1698, gabriel sleeper from mgbw, see-saw sofa $899, manstad sofa $699]

720.jpg
[image above: three seat sofa $6470 by le corbusier]

626.jpg
[image above, clockwise from top left: cameron sleeper sofa $3000+, three seat sofa (see photo above for detailed photo), ektorp sofa bed $1449, troy sleeper $1399, seabury sleeper $1895+, grand-scale shelter sleeper sofa $3090, fred sofa from mgbw]

918.jpg
[image above: havana sleeper sofa $3500]

1016.jpg
[image above: circle cut-out day bed $399+]

1162.jpg
[image above: overlapping squares daybed $399+]

1220.jpg
[image above: futon lounger $149+]

1. ashley says:

i have a similar issue with a narrow entryway and have been paralyzed with fear about getting a new sofa–can you tell me how you guys measures and figured out what would/wouldnt fit?
    thanks!

2. Jenn says:

This one from PB Teen looks so much more like a couch then other futons

just thought i would share

3. grace says:

ashley

we had to measure the heck out of it and then just try. we thought the petrie would fit in but the hallway wasn’t wide enough to allow us to tip it enough to get the bottom in. so we had to return it.

make sure that you can remove the legs of the couch and take it in on it’s side so that its standing tall on one arm. then you’ll left one bottom in and try to tip it back at an angle to fit it in.

you’ll probably need a low back couch, too. we went with the andre and highly suggest it. it was a breeze to get in.

grace

4. Lissette says:

Oh my gosh, that Manstad sofa is so cute! I’ve never seen it before!

I currently use the Beddinge as a sofa and a bed and it works wonders but there’s something special about the Manstad’s piping…

5. Lissette says:

Oops, I guess I’m talking about the City Sofa Bed from Apt NY ;)

6. Anne Bryant says:

What a great collection! We were on the hunt for a sleeper sofa for our guest/TV room last summer and it was so hard to find something nice, comfortable and not too expensive. The AU furniture line is nice too, I really like the Natalie (but is is pricey). We ended up with this one because the price was right and it’s quite comfortable.

7. Alicia says:

Can you do an accent/arm chair roundup? I have a couch and a loveseat in my livingroom and I think I have room for a chair that’s not too pouffy, but comfortable at the same time. That’d be awesome. =)

8. I slept on my couch last night, which is NOT a sleeper sofa but it was incrediblyyy comfortable. And red and pretty. I want the Troy Sleeper to match it!

9. kati says:

that case study bed makes sleeper sofas look good.

10. grace says:

we have a case study daybed in our house and i’ll have to say it’s pretty nice. though it’s not as comfy as most foldout sofas with mattresses. it’s pretty, well, firm. normally i like to put one of those egg crates on top and then a mattress cover to make it a bit smooshier, for lack of a better word.

grace ;)

11. bre says:

THANK YOU !
    I am so pleased you did this even though you hate futons – I knew if anyone could roundup beautiful double duty seating it would be you :D

12. Greta says:

In the third picture with several sofas, there are seven sofas, but only six credits. Where is the sofa in the bottom left corner from? Thanks!

13. Brooke says:

Can anybody speak to the quality of furniture on apt-ny.com? I saw a few pieces on there that I really liked including the lounge sofa bed above but always like to hear from people who have actually purchased from a store.

14. Emily says:

Thank you so much Grace! You posted it so quickly too. I’m totally getting the West Elm daybed. :) You are the best!

15. Grace,
    I’ve seen a lot of daybeds. (Go ahead and imagine an old man snapping his suspenders, rocking on his heels, and looking up into the sky…). The most comfortable and flexible design I’ve EVER encountered is the “Peter Hvidt sofa/daybed”. Not only is it beautiful, but the walnut/caned arms swing down to function as end tables, and can also take the back cushions (exactly) to turn it into the daybed. Brilliant and wonderfully engineered.
    Ronn Ives/FUTURES Antiques

16. Katja says:

Great sofabeds, but I must recommend also Innovation’s Istyle-sofabeds, so simple but stylish at the same time. Just bought one and loving it. :) http://www.innovationliving.com

17. superrrguy says:

I have a sofa bed from apt.

I love it. It’s definately one of the cooler sofa beds i’ve seen out there and it very comfortable and I love the way the fabric feels.

18. Hannah says:

I must’ve searched for 2 years before I finally gave up on finding a good looking, inexpensive, mid century-inspired convertible sofa. And here goes Urban Outfitters, rolling out the perfect anti-futon: Either/Or Convertible Sofa – Orange ($480)
    dern.

19. JLR says:

I was looking for a sofa like the Either/Or from Urban Outfitters. For a guest bedroom. Something to sleep 2 but not too low to the ground. I ended up getting the Studio Day Sofa from World Market. It doesn’t sleep two but it’s comfortable enough.

20. Anne says:

The third photo – what/where is the white loveseat from? It’s not the murfa sofabed in orange as the label notes. Thanks

21. Eliza says:

I love the Either/Or convertible sofa also–I wanted it in gray. EXCEPT that every single online user review of it–or any UO furniture–is terrible! Apparently UO makes some pretty crappy furniture! I guess that’s what you can expect for $500. Too bad, because it’s so great-looking (on the site) and functional.

22. Regina King says:

Wow… great selection of sleepers. I just bought my Queen sleeper from Club Furniture. It looks just like the PB Pearce, however, I paid about a third of the PB price. They’ve got a ton of sleepers on their site. Good luck! http://www.clubfurniture.com/allsleepers.html

23. just got that futon lounger on craigslist for $50 :) its is gorgeous and goes with everything.

24. LBC says:

Great selection! Don’t miss these options at BoConcept as well. They even have a sleeper ottoman.

25. amalia says:

great selection of sleepers

26. Aaron says:

Thanks! This may have just saved me a sleeper sofa shopping nightmare!