in the kitchen with: the curiosity shoppe

1_beauty_main.jpg
lauren smith and derek fagerstrom are the owners of the curiosity shoppe in san francisco- they’re also design*sponge’s super-fantastic diy wednesday editors. whether they’re working on something for readymade magazine (derek is their projects editor) or creating an incredible installation for their shop (click here to see lauren and their shop in the mission), lauren and derek are always doing something creative. today they’re sharing a quick and easy recipe for granola- one of my favorite morning snacks. perfect for breakfast, on top of yogurt or just a snack to keep in a bag derek and lauren’s granola recipe is a great weekly staple. you can view more pictures and the full recipe after the jump below, or you can download the recipe in pdf form right here. enjoy! –kristina

[photo of lauren and derek after the jump by jessamyn harris]

2_ingredients.jpg

Granola recipe:

3 cups rolled oats
1/4 raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup raw cashews
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
handful of brown sugar
1 tsp of vanilla extract

3_step1.jpg

4_step2.jpg

5_step3.jpg

Stir all ingredients together in a big bowl.
Spread out on a cookie sheet

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, stirring and turning every 10 minutes until toasted. (Color will be a reddish brown when done)

After baking, allow to cool in pan thoroughly. Loosen granola from pan with a spatula, breaking it into small chunks as you go.

Add:
1-2 handfuls dried cranberries
1-2 handfuls raisins

Enjoy with yogurt, milk or as is!

Why we like this dish:

A few years ago, we asked all of our friends to share a favorite recipe for a collaborative cookbook. Lauren contributed this little gem, which she got from her mom. (You can download the PDF here.) We love it so much that we make a fresh batch every week. It’s super simple and crazy delicious, and much more affordable than the fancy stuff at the health food store.

Bon Appetit!
Derek & Lauren

ld_pic.jpg

1. damien says:

Mmmm.. can’t wait to try this!

2. Sarah in Austin says:

This sounds delish, but any word on where I can get those adorable white flats with the strap? I love them!

3. gisselle says:

beautiful blog! :)

4. Tammy says:

Thanks for the recipe! I’ve been wanting to make granola for ages, and this recipe has all the constituent elements I like.

One question: when you list “oil” in the ingredients, what kind do you mean? I often default to canola. Will that work in this case?

5. lauren says:

Hi Tammy-
    Canola or vegetable oil both work great.

6. AmyE says:

i, too, would love to know about those shoes. cute, aren’t they. the granola looks yummy!

7. Becky says:

My mom has a great recipe that is quite similar, but she does it in the mircowave…it turns out so great and there is less worry of burning the granola…a constant problem for me. Can’t wait to try your version!

8. mod*mom says:

ooooooo i have to check out the curiosity shoppe!

9. mmmm….granola! thanks, guys!!!

10. Cassandra says:

This sounds great, and reminds me to start making granola again. The version I used to make had no added sugar, but instead called for fresh apple juice, which added to the crunchiness and gave hint of sweet apple flavour after baking.

11. sarah says:

yum! looks delicious! (question: will the link to the pdf be active sometime? i’d like to get it.)

12. grace says:

the PDF is working for me- is it not working for you guys?

13. Tommy says:

Making it right now. Instead of raisins, I’m using dried cherries. If this beats my usual Bear Naked granola, I’m sold on making my own.

14. Tammy says:

Thanks, Lauren. I know what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow!

15. Neil says:

The first PDF link is working, but the last paragraph’s link is not there.