in the kitchen with: matte stephens

img_1647.jpg
it’s no secret that matte stephens is one of my favorite artists. whether i’m drooling over one of his beautiful prints, the beautiful home he shares with his wife vivienne or appreciating his love of the designers who came before us, i’m constantly impressed with matte. and today? today i’m impressed with matte’s ooey gooey chocolate cakes. not only because they’re delicious and incredibly easy to make, but because matte added lovely little illustrations to his images. could this guy be any cooler? thanks to matte for sharing this delicious recipe. click here for the full instructions and more images or click “read more” below.

mattedesk.jpg

Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cakes

6 oz bittersweet Ghiradelli chocolate
4 oz unsalted butter
2 tablespoons cake flour
1/3 cup cocoa (unsweetened)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar

img_1635.jpg

img_1639.jpg

Matte says: We don’t make these often because I seem to gain weight just by looking at them. Vivienne is a personal trainer and I’m shaped like Mr. Potato Head so I only get to have them but around once a year but they are wonderful.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and sugar 4 (4 oz) ramekins. Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler. (or do what I do since I don’t have one: put ingredients in smaller saucepan, fill a larger saucepan partway with water and float the smaller saucepan inside the larger one). Sift cake flour, cocoa and salt in a small prep bowl. Whisk eggs and sugar in a larger prep bowl. Add melted chocolate and butter mixture to egg and sugar mixture a little at a time. Fold in dry ingredients with a whisk. Fill ramekins and place in large glass pan and pour hot water from double boiler around them. Bake about 35-40 minutes until slightly cracked on top and soft on the inside. Serve with Häagen-Dazs Vanilla Bean ice cream and fresh or frozen raspberries.

1. sandra says:

looks so delicious, i love the lady in the bowl. happy weekend!

2. Leah says:

Sounds sooo tasty!

3. Diana says:

Looks yummy! I can’t wait to try – such an interesting mix of food and art.

4. Marnie says:

oh, noo. I just had surgery otherwise I’d already be making a list for the market. This may be a great time for my boyfriend to learn the joys of baking. Thanks Matte!

5. jackie says:

Yum….you had me at “ooey”!! Matte I’m coming over right now so you and Viv can cook for me! hee hee

6. shelli says:

ohhh yum! (that’s for the cake & matte…who is just brilliant!)

7. jennifer in sf says:

I made very similar little gooey cakes for a friend’s birthday and they were so amazingly good.
    Of course, they weren’t as cute, since I didn’t have a bunch of tiny people to help!

8. peggy says:

This is perfect for V-day! I’ve made a similar version for the past few Valentine’s days. I’ll try this one this time. I really do need to find an excuse to make it more often! Thanks Matte!

9. alis says:

they seem as sweet as your illustrations! they’re going to be my next indulgence!

10. oh woww…. dat’s yummylicious

11. Van~* says:

Love it, tried it in the Uk Absolutely delicious
    chocoholics, come here then

12. mod*mom says:

yay matte stephens!!!!

i’ll make a vegan fair trade version with fair trade chocolate , cocoa + sugar, vegan margarine, + vinegar instead of eggs :)

13. pRiyA says:

the ooey gooey choc cakes is very similar to nigella lawson’s choc hoto pots. but i’m trying this too… it’s GOT to be delicious!

14. cashmere says:

I made this over the weekend and it was delish!!!! Such a wonderful treat!

15. Kim says:

Does anyone know how important it is to have cake flour vs. regular? I don’t want to buy all that for only 1 tbs (I’m cutting the recipe in half). Help.