diy wednesdays (part 1): felted nesting bowls

bowls1.jpg
before we get to our regular weekly post, we just wanted to share this awesome set of felted nesting bowls that lauren’s younger sister jessie made for us. the pattern for the medium-sized bowl came from a book called “oneskein” by leigh radford. jessie adapted the pattern to create the small and large versions, so the three bowls fit together perfectly. this is a great project for knitters of all level (especially those who are sick and tired of making scarves and hats!) putting what basically looks like a gigantic ski cap into a hot washing machine and pulling out a felted bowl is like magic! click here for more info and photos or just click “read more” below.

have fun!
derek and lauren

ps- we’ve got knitting on the brain! stay tuned for another project at 1pm!

bowls2.jpg

Felted Nesting Bowls

to make the small bowl, cast 36 stitches onto size 15 circular needles and knit even until it measures 3.5”. for the large bowl cast on 54 stitches and knit even until it measures 8″. all other steps, plus directions for felting, can be found in oneskein.

pre-felting.jpg

1. Gorgeous! Love the color combination.

2. meredith says:

it’s like shrinky-dinks! i love those things.

3. amanda says:

I just finished this pattern a couple weeks ago! Its a great and easy project… I find that ‘lopi’ wool leftovers works great (its a wool from iceland…)

4. maren says:

O.K. I am lame… I really like these but don’t want to diy – I just want to biy (buy it yourself). Any ideas?

5. jen says:

ok, i’m picking up my needles tonight. these are just too cute.

6. Molli says:

Consequently, the large size also makes a really cute hat! I added some embroidery to mine and it was a perfect fit! Click here and scroll down to see my version: http://minimolli.blogspot.com/2007/12/back-from-dead.html

7. little k says:

Maren (and others) looking to b.i.y., there are some lovely felted bowls on etsy. Just search “felted bowl.”

8. Suzanne says:

i’m curious… what do you store in those felt nesting bowls ? wouldn’t jewelry catch? what’s practical? :)

9. themediatrix says:

Yes, I want to buy too! Heading to the etsy site now…

10. Genevieve says:

any suggestions on what kind of yarn to use? (i’ve never felted before–will any wool do?) i’m on a serious knitting craze right now and desperate for a quick new project!

11. jj says:

It’s wabi sabi and I

12. Acacia says:

AHHHHH! A cliffhanger knitting pattern! The bowls are adorable but I’m going yo have t spend $20 + shipping to find out how to finish them!

13. ung says:

suzanne- wii remotes? i wish there was something else in the photo for scale.

14. Gina Marin says:

I LOVE these! I went to the link though, and couldn’t find the rest of the instructions. ? :^(

15. Tara says:

Genevieve — generally any wool will work for felting :) These ARE cute!

16. Melissa says:

Where is the rest of the instructions?!

17. Sabina says:

ooooh…i love these – i have never tried felting but these adorable bowls inspire me to give it a try.

18. Jen says:

LOVE these! I’m not much of a knitter but these are so cute, I wish that I was! I’m sending this on to my mom (she likes to felt) and maybe I’ll bribe her to make some for me. Thanks for the idea!!

19. Yara says:

I love the colours! x

20. The Lab says:

Genevieve – make sure the wool you buy is not labeled ‘superwash’ wool. It’s 100% wool but will not felt. My fave to felt with is Lamb’s Pride Wool Yarn.

21. Xueling says:

These are great and I’d love to make them. But I think that the DIY projects should include full instructions. Anyone can say, “Buy this book and do this project”. A little disappointing since I can’t easily get that book.

22. Tina Frey says:

wow Wow WOW! I think these are the cutest bowls! It is inspiring me to make them right now! Also giving me ideas to make other things too!

23. Brittany says:

I love felted bowls!
    I completely agree with The Lab; Lamb’s Pride (Bulky or Worsted) is the best for felting. It creates a great sheen because of the fiber content.
    For those of you looking to b.i.y., I have an Etsy store featuring jewelry and felted bowls. Only a couple are up right now, but I’m listing more every day!
    willowfibers.etsy.com

Here’s the link to the Lamb’s Pride online color card.

24. Tamdoll says:

These felted bowls are great. I can’t make enough of them – they are always in demand with friends and at a local shop. The best ones I’ve made use up leftover yarns that I combine and get creative with the colors.

25. Kelly says:

Mmmm… felty. I think I saw something like this at Rare Device, but never thought to make my own. I’m totally making me some bowls now.

26. Linda says:

I’ve made about 20 of these bowls from that book. I often put small balls of leftover yarn in them laying about my knitting corner of my living room. I use all Lamb’s Pride Bulky, and love all the colors available, plus I often add a top inch of the bowl in a muted varigated wool (double-strand if not bulky) for contrast. I’ve also put knitting notions in them so they are handy to find at home (vs. a closed bag).

27. Melissa A. says:

You know, there are these things called libraries… (says the girl who owns the book).

28. kim says:

hi maren, and all — a dear friend of mine, who has knitted since she was a small child, taught me how to knit and felt bowls. i’ve been making them ever since, and sell them in my Etsy shop. let me know if it’s what you had in mind; i also do commissions :) thanks.

29. Laurel says:

Just love the bowls!!!! I am a rug hooker and the ends of the wool that are trimmed, stay very nicely in my felted bowl. I purchased it at a rug retreat. The very next day I purchased the book at the book store. Thanx.

30. christine nicholson says:

I live in the UK and my daughter-in-law lives in OZ and has asked me to knit some of the felt bowls. what I want to know is what ply of wool do you use and UK size of needles. I’ll have a try at anything.

31. alexandra says:

could you crochet the bowls?

32. Wow, this paragraph is pleasant, my sister is analyzing
    these kinds of things, therefore I am going to let know her.