before and after: caroline’s chair

1165.jpg
inspired by your before and after projects on d*s, caroline decided to buy some “junky” furniture and fabric to create her own before and after transformation. she started with a $5 goodwill chair and jessica jones’ new “leaflet” fabric and- to quote caroline- “several hours later…voila!”. i’d love to see something like this in a child’s room- it’s such a cheerful pattern. thanks to caroline for sharing!

[have a before and after project you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me a line right here with your pictures]

2_17.jpg

1. VisuaLingual says:

I love the way the pattern, and the way it’s used, highlights the lines of the chair. Well done!

2. chic says:

Very nice fabric!

3. Carrie S. says:

WOW. I’m usually pretty good about seeing “potential” of a piece, but I never would have guessed that this 80’s/90’s monstrosity could look like THIS. Excellent work, Caroline!

4. Judith says:

I am inspired!

5. Janet Moran says:

I just ordered some of this fabric to make toddler jumpers, It’s a perfect pattern for a little boy or girl.

6. giselle says:

Wow, that’s really well done. It would be great to have her do a post on steps to do something like that (I always have trouble with the welting)!

7. Wow! I love these chairs today. I’m so impressed that she did this herself. Any tips on learning how to reupholster?

8. Cedar says:

Gorgeous fabric!

9. Lisa says:

My goodness! I think we’re somewhat hard-wired to look beyond 80’s & 90’s eras when looking for furniture, but this is a perfect exception to that rule! I, for one, will keep this in mind as I look much closer at *all* styles of furniture. Like others, I would also love to know how one can learn the basics of re-upholstery.

10. angelune says:

wow, that before chair is sure ugly

11. marilyn p. says:

Wow,what a professional result! My only concern about reupholstering a thrifted chair is if the foam underneath is clean. Did they replace the foam as well? It looks fantastic!

12. lucky says:

did she say “several hours later…?!” if i had a lifetime i couldn’t do this. love your diy fridays!

13. hilary says:

several hours later??

wow! how did she do this quickly?

14. j. caroline says:

Thanks for the props!

I did write up a general overview of what I did here. I hesistate to call it a tutorial, but it does show pics and I describe my general approach.

15. j. caroline says:

Several hours later meant 24 hours over 4 days. And no, the foam was not replaced. And it probably wasn’t clean. But out of sight, out of mind!

16. Meredith says:

Rad shape!

It’s like night and day, with the fabric refresh…nightmare teenaged ’80’s basement fabric meets its match!

17. Lesly says:

I just can’t stop thinking of bedbugs and all those minuscule creatures hiding in tiny crevices, infested furniture, everywhere!!!!!

sorry!… but I do love the final product + beautiful fabric.

18. lealou says:

so beautiful! I LOVE this line of fabrics!

19. read me... says:

It looks perfect! What a fabulous job. I love it. K

20. Margaret says:

I’m not so sure I like it, actually. Even after the re-upholstery…. maybe it’s the legs, and it’s lacking a pillow. Ugh, sorry, I don’t like it. :(

21. Brandy says:

Fantastic work!! You’re attention to how to cut the pieces to match up the patterns is GREAT. That extra effort goes a long way! Kudos.

22. Mandie says:

The “before” looks like one of Bill Cosby’s old sweaters! Fabulous job!

23. I love this one! A rather ugly chair to become so fresh and unique and interesting looking!