sneak peek: lizzie garrett

lizzie garrett has been such a wonderful contributor at d*s over the past year or so. she wrote both the chicago and los angeles city guides and is helping me with a fantastic new design guide (more of a mega-resource, really) coming up soon. so i thought it would be fun to take a look into lizzie’s home that she shares with her boyfriend matt mettler in chicago. thanks to lizzie and matt for sharing- more photos after the jump. enjoy!

[stay tuned for more great interiors on thursday. alyson fox is sharing some updates to her home as part of the before/after column!]

1. Judith says:

Love it! Could you let us know the source of the zigzag rug in the living room please? Thanks.

2. Tara Emelye says:

Lovely and warm. Modern touches without the harsh edges. What a treat to see. What are the paint colors? I love the green/gray in the kitchen, please reveal!

3. kelly says:

does anyone know where I can find the chair/stool in the first photo? absolutely love them!

4. Adina says:

Where oh where did those bar stools and the dog water/food holder come from!?!?!?

5. LizzieG says:

Thanks for the nice comments! The ZigZag Rug is from Madeline Weinrib, the paint is Benjamin Moore Aura, the eco-friendly line (AF-485), and the kitchen stools are from

6. LizzieG says:

The pet feeder is by Holden Designs and you can get them from Design Public.

7. Jennifer says:

LOVE the light fixture in the second to last photo! Where did you get that?

8. Jennifer says:

the long metal bookcases are killer… Did Lizzie make them herself, if not where or where did they come from???

9. I love the house — especially the metal bookcase, but mostly I love the dog!

10. lulu says:

I love the long, low, metal shelving; can you tell us where/who/what?

11. Matt Wild says:

Great space. I was curious about the steel bookshelf. Is that something you have made or is it a kit?

12. Stephanie says:

I *love* the paint colors. Who, where, how…….pretty please?

13. ath says:

does anyone know where the long bookshelves are from?

14. This house is so much fun! I love the barstools in the kitchen. I also love to see another person who keeps a bulletin board of favorite pictures.

15. LizzieG says:

The bookshelf is from Ikea, it is called LAXVIK and they sort of work like legos, you can custom build up or out however you want.

16. LizzieG says:

Oh, and the light fixture is Niche Modern

17. Anna @ D16 says:

Lovely colors! Bright & fresh, and I love the pup.

To those who are wondering, I believe the shelves are from the LAXVIK system from IKEA.

18. Suzanne says:

fantastic home lizzie! i love those barstools too.

19. Raya says:

What inspiring space. I love these sneak peeks – they are a good kick in the pants to get me back to working on my own spaces.

20. Michele says:

Oh your dog is so precious! Your home is beautiful but the little dog is my favorite part.

21. Dana says:

Love her inspiration board.

22. Eames wire chairs, vintage stool model ! love it.
    the rainbow book arrangement is nice too.

23. jes says:

cute! where did you find the sofa?

24. Margaret says:

I love the look of grouping books by color. But isn’t this an impractical way to organize books? (vs organizing by category?)

25. Tracey says:

I am also wondering where the sofa is from?

26. LizzieG says:

sofa is “LA sofa” by Mitchell Gold

27. Linda Carson says:

The colour-ordered books are a glorious meme that was probably sparked by the Chris Cobb installation/intervention, There is Nothing in this Whole Wide World,
    where he rearranged an entire used books store!

Impractical? Depends on the readers and the context. I remember my books, especially my art reference books, by colour and typography and “the right place”. As librarians know too well, people think they know where to reshelve books, but they’re often wrong. I’m looking forward to rainbow order in my new place. Rookies will still make serendipitous discoveries, have a better chance of reshelving correctly by colour, and if they don’t, the stray books will stand out to me like flashing neon. YMMV.

28. kickapoo says:

Yes, that steel bookcase is way cool.

29. kickapoo says:

That steel bookcase is way cool!

30. LucyB says:

love those barstools…where did you find them?

31. angie-pangie says:

where can i get the print over the kitchen cabinets?? that’s the best solution for over-cabinet decoration i’ve seen. (my kitch cabinets are almost identical to yours, but everything i put up there looks tacky and/or cluttered… need a similar print!!!)
    great place – thx!

32. kahmee says:

nice home. where did you get that clear globe light pendant?

33. Kate says:

what’s the color on the wall in the last shot? looks great!

34. Ana Maria says:

LOVE the color coordination on the book.

35. Mara SS says:

I’m going crazy trying to find LAXVIK on the Ikea site. I know it was there about a month ago. Any ideas anyone?