rocking chair roundup

what better way to spend a lazy weekend than rocking away on your porch. ok, so maybe most of us don’t have porches to rock on, but we can at least rock in the comfort of our own apartments. here is a roundup of rocking chairs (and a few gliders) that range from modern to more traditional in a wide range of prices. enjoy! stay tuned for something to put your feet up on next. there are several photos after the fold so click here to view the full rocking chair roundup or just click “read more” below.

[image above, clockwise from top left: eames rocker $449, new gloucester rocker by thomas moser $2050, heritage rocking armchair $675, moderno rocker (ebay is the best bet for these), tom rock chair, stingray rocking chair $2250]

[image above, clockwise from top left: buttercup rocker $849, rex rocking chair $250, lillberg rocking chair $139, ku dir ka rocking chair $549, little rock rocking chair $918, goodnight glider $1100, aviar rocker $698]

[image above, clockwise from top left: verner panton relxer rocker (try ebay or 1stdibs for different colors and styles), david trubridge ruth rocker 1, folding rocker $24.49 (for that price you can reupholster it in something cuter), gunghult $129, keinu rocking chair, rapid rocker in black $1475, storytime rocker $830]

[image above, clockwise from top left: luca glider $970, rapid rocker $1475, fritz henningsen rocking chair at 1stdibs, porch rocker $149.99, ralph rapson rocker from knoll at 1stdibs, ps ellan chair at ikea (partial rocker) $39.99, voido rocking chair by ron arad $648, emmabo $19.99]

[image above, clockwise from top left: george jensen teak rocker at 1st dibs, sleepytime rocker $548, mod rocker $285, luxe rocker adult glider $969, continuous armchair rocker by thomas moser $1475, bayside swivel glider $998]

[image above: mamma rocking chair $6,000 (splurge)]

[image above: this is my own kofod larsen chair. you can find kofod larsen rockers on or ask your local antiques shop owner to keep an eye out for one. i bought mine at modhaus in boston]

[image above: camilla rocker $2250]

[image above, left to right: eddy rocker $1350, collins rocker $1295]

1. Maggie says:

Thanks for the rocker roundup, Grace. Having baby on the brain means that I’m also looking around for the perfect rocker. ;)

2. Anne A Wong says:

This is great! I have great memories of my grandma’s rocking chair, and would love a modern one…
    On question though: Which rocker is the one in the center of the second set of chairs? Cream with the metal arm rests… Love that one

3. Rebecca says:

Wow, I hadn’t realized the Eames rocker from DWR was that expensive, when it looks so cheap in person… I can’t understand why anyone would buy one, when the Modernica ones look so much sturdier and more authentic, and are $100 less. I love the orange fiberglass one I bought from Velocity Art and Design.

4. Arran says:

I am newly in love with this furniture line from Gervasoni and they have a wonderfully different rocker that’s solid and slightly masculine. Probably widly expensive, but I just love it.

5. Lissette says:

I love the Emmabo for reasons unintended by Ikea… I screwed up building it back when I first bought it almost three years ago so I’m afraid to sit on it! However, it sits over my modem/cable mess and shields it from the eye, acts as temporary storage for handbags and coats during parties and looks pretty sitting in the corner of my studio apartment! Not bad for $19.

6. Ellen says:

grace, your rocker is simply adorable! the perfect seating to make a corner feel warm and inviting.

7. jaime says:

I absolutely love rocking chairs and wish I had one in my home. I think I’d have to go with an old fashioned antique one with a lovely reupholstered cushion.

8. Great looking chairs. I especially love the green glider, because I have an absurd fear of rocking chairs.

9. Emily says:

In your second rocker collage you have 7 rockers and only 6 descriptions/prices. (I’m just wondering about the cream-colored one in the middle, mostly.) I’m sure it’s entirely out of my budget, but I’d love to know where I can get it if I magically come into some money!

10. morgan says:

Great list! There are some awesome rockers on there. There’s one chair missing it’s link and description – second image from the top, in the center, cream colored with the metal(?) arms? I love that one.

11. morgan says:

I also wanted to add about the modernica vs DWR Eames chairs. I know there’s a huge debate around authenticity and quality, but really, if you’ve ever sat in a modernica fiberglass chair, it just kills the DWR versions. We have two modernica chairs side by side with our vintage models at our dining room table and they’re just awesome together.

12. m says:

You forgot my favorite rocker: the Thonet!

13. Raya says:

I have the Eames rocker for our babie’s room and love it! I put a small sheepskin on the seat and it’s pretty comfy. I’m looking forward to rocking the little one to sleep in style : ) Fun roundup!

14. the orange luca rocker! i love tangerine.

15. zee says:

I have the lime green Vitra rocker shown above. I far prefer the range of colours the Vitra rockers come in – they work better with my home’s colour palette. I also have four vintage cream Eames dining chairs in the same room and likewise, they’re awesome together. Rebecca – I personally can’t understand why someone gets so worked up over the choices’s other people make for their own homes :)

16. zee says:

PS: Oh! My favourite rocking chair is the Race Rocker by Ernest Race, although I don’t think they’re available in the US..

17. meghan says:

I have the IKEA Lillberg rocker, and unfortunately it doesn’t really rock like you’d hope. It just kind of moves forward and back a few centimeters, but no real comforting rocking action to be spoken of. Still, it’s nice looking! But if you want a real rocker, skip this one.

18. Scott says:

The Thos. Moser New Gloucester Rocker shown above is a solid cherry seat, crest, arms and rails, with ask spindles and legs…the correct prices is $1,775. The price listed is for their version which substitutes dark walnut for the cherry, and it is really striking that way. If you visit their website and scroll through the photos you can see it in walnut:

19. Scott says:

Sorry, the legs spindles and legs are ash, not ask :-)

20. tunde says:

very similar to the aviar [2nd collage, cream w/metal armrests], but has more color/upholstery options:

21. iluvcolor says:

Anne, Emily,
    That is the Aviar rocker
    product id 120-2933 from Chiasso. The link is there in the 2d set .

22. iluvcolor says:

Has anyone sat in this type of rocker that sets on the ground-either the Aviar from Chiasso, or the Matt from EQ3? Do they work(rock)? Comfortable? They look comfy. I suppose they wouldn’t be on this list if not.

23. Sandy & Anne says:

Here is a great awarding winning rocker… Sting Ray available from Hightower. Worth checking out!

24. abby says:

I just had my pink modernica rocker delivered today!
    (bought it at thanks for the recommendation Morgan! now that it’s in my little girls room I see what she means. It’s really cool. Much nicer than the Herman MIller ones. thanks!

25. Jackie says:

The rocker looks incredibly comfortable. I love the picture of the little boy in the chair :) I bought a child’s Knoll chair for my little girl’s playroom from and its absolutely the cutest and most contemporary thing in our house–and its for my 11 year old! I saw the rocker at officedesigns too, so I might consider getting one for myself…

26. Rene' says:

I purchased a fairly original and intact 1957 rancher style house in 2007. My parents just gave me all of the furniture I grew up with. One being a Kofod curved back chair, without rockers. They also gave me all the 50’s modern era mahogany furniture that they purchased from Sligh Furniture, Milling Road, and Baker furniture co. There is also a couple of Kindel furniture pieces. All is solid mahogany, cherry, or oak. All has the 50’s modern age design.
    All of the Sligh pieces were part of a “Scandinavian look” that they introduced in the mid 50’s, and was featured in a trade magazine called; the Stylist. What I like so much about the furniture is that it has Cain as accents on the coffee table, end tables, and bookcases. The rest of the furniture is beautifully grained. There are two chairs that my folks purchased from a furniture showroom called; DreamHouse Furniture. The Kofod chair was one of them. The other chair has a curved back, and modern lines, with a red webbing seat.
    I am very fortunate that my parents kept everything, and stored it in a safe environment for over 30+ years…thus I was able to furnish my 1957 home in a vintage original 50’s era, at no cost to me.
    They even saved their old dishes, cookware, ash trays, clocks, wall art, lamps, rugs, clothes,hats, shoes, books, radios,cameras, one black and white TV, an old 50’s lawn mower, patio furniture, 50 year old lawn gnomes, cement bird bath, a really neat Eames atomic coat rack, and my 1960 Red 26″ Schwinn girls bike with all the accessories. ( it cleaned up really well, even the horn and lights work) I thought it had been long gone.

Dad is hanging onto his 1932 Chevy convertible Hot Rod he built in the 60’s, and his pristine 1965 Harley Davidson, which all of us 4 kids are fighting over who’ll get to have them.

My younger sister has grabbed onto all the old MOD stuff from the 60’s and early seventies…( which I don’t care for that much)

Mom and Dad were savers, and didn’t believe in getting rid of things. I can’t thank them enough!

27. Wilbur says:

Thank you for the roundup. It is always nice to see that others have such fond memories of these chairs.

28. Maybe it was not around when the article was written….but this is really affordable and at Urban Outfitters of all places.

29. Views says:

Wow, this piece of writing is nice, my younger sister
    is analyzing such things, therefore I am going to convey her.