in the kitchen with: eleanor grosch

strawberry_pie_2.jpg
From a young age, Eleanor drew animals. She drew them at home, she drew them in school, she drew them on vacation, in the car, when she was sick, whenever she could. She rarely drew people; there was just something special about animals that held her interest and continues to do so. Putting her design skills into action, Eleanor founded PushMePullYou design studio (named after Dr.Doolittle’s two-headed llama) in 2003. But rather than animal prints, today Eleanor is serving up a delicious strawberry tofu pie. Incredibly easy to make and even easier to eat. Click here for the full recipe or click “read more” below. Enjoy! –Kristina

eleanor_kitchen.jpg

Strawberry Tofu Pie

• one package of silken tofu (16oz / 450g)
• 2/3 cup of Smucker’s Squeeze Reduced Sugar Strawberry Fruit Spread (150g)
• 2 cups frozen strawberries (510g)
• One 9″ pie base (chocolate works best!! – 23cm)*

Combine ingredients in the blender and pour into pie base. Freeze for 4 hours and place in fridge. enjoy!!

Why this is Eleanor’s favorite recipe:

Strawberry tofu pie is very easy to make and has a lovely tangy flavor. It’s perfect for dessert any time of year and it’s actually not that bad for you. There’s not much added sugar and very little fat. Try this pie! You’ll adore it; I promise!!

*Note from Kristina: If you don’t have a ready-made pie crust, you can make your own! I got this from a recipe by Nigella Lawson.

• 9 oz./250g graham crackers or digestives or chocolate cookies (take the filling off the Oreo!)
• 1 stick/110g unsalted butter, softened, cut into small pieces
• 2 ¼ tablespoons/40g brown sugar

Pulse the cookies in a food processor til fine. Add butter and brown sugar. Process again until mixture starts to clump together. Press mixture into the bottom of a 23cm or 24cm springform cake pan to form an even base (8.5″-9.5″ the diameter will determine the thickness of the base). Normally you would refrigerate this while you make the filling, but since this is a no cook pie, you don’t need to do that for this recipe.

Tip: Because brown sugar isn’t readily available here (in Italy), I use one tablespoon of molasses per cup of white granulated sugar for light brown sugar, and two tablespoons per cup for dark brown sugar. When I’m cooking something like this, or some chutneys, where composition doesn’t matter, I don’t waste my time mixing up the molasses in the sugar. I just tip in the sugar and pour in some molasses. Once it’s whizzed in the food processor, or melted on the stove in a pot, no one will know!

1. joy says:

yum! i love eleanor! ;)

2. Lana says:

Hooray for a vegan-friendly recipe! this looks delicious, I can’t wait to try it. :0)

3. liz says:

that looks delightful — can’t wait to try it for my next book club!

4. LO says:

Great post! Thanks!

5. kati says:

yay! eleanor is a great cook – i’ve been in her kitchen!

6. kristina says:

well if you use the nigella lawson recipe it won’t be vegan, but the pie is still great!!!!!

7. Lana says:

true, but that pie crust recipe is a super easy one to veganize :0)

8. JC says:

Forget the tofu… she looks tasty !!

9. Jamie oberry says:

I use to dance with eleanor at all of the 80’s night clubs in Tampa! She is too cute!

10. Becky says:

Yummy guilt free dessert.. love it!

11. Sydney says:

I must try this recipe!
    My boyfriend loves strawberries, but is a very fussy eater. Perhaps I can get him to try it and only tell him after that it’s made with tofu!

PS.
    ~Love you Eleanor!

12. JoVa says:

I wish I’d this recipe on my Thanksgiving dinner list — we’d two very important vegan friends over … got keep this one handy .. Thanks.

13. dom says:

anyone have a recipe or suggestion for a vegan piecrust?

14. Deborah says:

That is one gorgeous strawberry pie! The pink color is intense. A feast for the eyes…yummy!

15. imelda says:

That looks so good, I thought it was fake, like really made out of sponge or something. Silly Me.

16. shokoh says:

This is one yummy pie!
    I had never tasted some thing like it. I wish I knew how to make this
    pie a long time ago when i started to cook!!

17. Sara says:

Looks great. I too would like to know the best way to veganize the crust. Thanks!