diy wednesdays: laptop cozy

Recently we’ve been on the hunt for a laptop sleeve. Nothing fancy, just a simple way to protect our MacBook on its journeys around town. The quickest, easiest, and cheapest solution we could come up with was to make a no-sew Maloo-esque “wrap” out of colored felt and Velcro dots. Now our little laptop is snug as a bug in a rug! Click here for the full instructions and more photos or just click “read more” below.

Have Fun!
Derek & Lauren

Laptop Cozy

Here’s what you’ll need:
-3/4 yard each of two colors of felt (we used grey and orange)
-3/4 yard double sided fusible interfacing, such as Stitch-Witchery
-1 package round sticky Velcro dots

1. Place laptop in center of one piece of felt. Cut out corners to create a cross shape, with the laptop in the center. Trim down the flaps so they overlap by 1-2″ when folded over.

2. Place cut piece on top of other felt piece and use it as a template to cut out the same shape.

3. Cut out Stitch-Witchery in same shape.

4. Create a sandwich with the two colors of felt, with the Stitch-Witchery in the middle. Press with a hot iron until fused.

5. Even up the edges all the way around by cutting off any excess with scissors.

6. Place laptop in center of cross and fold over flaps. Adhere sticky dots where edges overlap.

7. There are lots of different ways to customize the cozy by cutting fun shapes out of the outer piece of felt. We decided to keep it super simple and just cut a scallop shape along the edge of the outer fold.

1. grace says:

just a reminder guys- no personal comments or attacks toward other posters. my email to john above is bouncing back so i just wanted to give a little warning. even if comments are meant jokingly or sarcastically i want everyone to feel comfortable talking here- not like they’re going to get made fun of for their opionion.

2. This is a nice and very creative project :)

3. Ellen says:

Brian’s got a valid point. My son crafted a bag out of industrial wool felt for a camera he built and lint is a big problem. If anyone knows of a stabilizer that could be applied to solve this problem, please advise.

4. Diane says:

This looks very handy! I have a big backpack-style laptop bag, but I’d like to be able to carry my laptop around in a regular messenger bag for daily use.

As for the lint issue, maybe lining it with a thin layer of smooth cotton would prevent lint buildup on the inside? It would require some hemming and make the project a bit more involved, but it would make a protective layer between the felt and the fan.

5. BrynMyrtle says:

I’m enormously uncrafty: forgive me if the following are impossible…. For the felt-engenders-lint problem, I was wondering whether using a neoprene layer would help, while also providing waterproofing and more cushion. If neoprene is hard to find (or just hard to attach), what about fake suede?

6. Kelly says:

Okay, as soon as I find a place to get felt by the yard I’m making one of these for myself. Yum.

7. J.D. says:

Being a 15+ year IT guy and seeing alot of people over heat their Laptops by using them on surfaces that do not allow proper air flow, I felt compelled to warn that running your very expensive Mac Notebook on a thick felt surface may cause damage to your computer. Please see the link to Apple support site I have included about proper working surface.
    “et up your portable on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your portable on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. ”

Happy Computing.

8. Tizzalicious says:

That’s fantastic! I’m gonna try that!

9. Millie says:

I’m making it for my sister’s birthday!

10. Ainsley says:

I just finished making mine and I looove it! I didn’t need anything terribly durable, as I usually stick my laptop in my bag anyways, but I wanted something to protect it from spiral wires, keys, etc. so I just bought your run-of-the-mill felt (yellow & charcoal, matches my yellow & black laptop wonderfully!) at $4.99/yd (3/4 of a yd came to $3.74). Then I used Steam-A-Seam 2 double stick fusible web to adhere the felt. It came in a package of five 9″x12″ sheets and it worked perfectly–one for each flap and one for the bottom! The package cost $3.99. And then my velco dots cost $1.49. Sooo, in case anyone was wondering about a price range, this project cost me a total of $13.67.

11. Jeane says:

Great Idea! I was wondering if you could use a fusible web that you buy by the length (like cloth) and fuse the fabrics together first before cutting. I also gave thought to the lint problem but thought I would try the lightest weight cotton I could find against the pc. This is a blast and I think it would be great for a teen group.

12. orange says:

Inspired by your post I made one for my boyfriend’s birthday – for his eeePC. I modified the shape a bit so that the edges are protected, too. And I sewed on a selfmade application to make it a little more personal :-)
    Here are some pics if someone is interested:

13. Hooray For DIY says:

The grey looks great with the orange doesn’t it!! And the sweet edging. It has a fun retro feel to it. I had a similar idea for a mothers day present as i don’t have much sewing experience. It is great for someone constantly in a hurry. I put a bit of elastic over mine just to make sure the felt doesn’t come open if it gets caught moving around. I wouldn’t sit the laptop on the felt when in use, but i’m certainly no expert.
    I hadn’t even heard of Maloo before seeing this post. I would like to ask everyone, what hasn’t been done before? In so many of these DIY posts there are people claiming that they are ‘copies’ of someone elses designs. It is great to point out that someone else has a ‘similar’ design and put a link in but the anger is unneccessary, so many of these people probably had no idea that the other versions existed and certainly didn’t mean to ‘copy’ them.
    I keep coming up with what i think are original ideas and later on almost always I find that something similar or identical has been done before or since by someone who couldn’t possibly know me and i certainly hadn’t heard of them. Could someone tell me where do I find out if someone has already come up with an idea before you can sell it?
    There are just too many wonderfully creative people in this world, and i definately don’t think it’s a bad thing! Keep up the DIY! I love seeing the amazing things that people make and i always read people’s comments to see what new applications people have thought of!
    To Orange,
    I loved your new take on the shape, it looks like it would protect the corners better.
    Nice work girls!

14. aloria says:

This is adorable! I am buying an EeePC and all the cute laptop sleeves seem way too big for it. This looks like the perfect solution– and cheap, too. :D

15. Mar says:

i will do it! maybe i could use neoprene or something similar to prevent dust. And a few slim poquets filled with card board on the sides will help the ventilation.

16. Amber says:

I love this idea! I have a small Apple computer like the one in the pictures to… so I think it will work great!

17. Erica Romeo says:

This id fantastic, I can’t wait to try it! Has anyone figured out a way to attach any sort of handle or carrying strap to this? Cause that would make it perfect . . .

18. Elaine B. says:

Neat idea!! Thanks for sharing it!

19. Tony says:

I just made a slip cover based on these directions. I didn’t want the felt on inside or outside. I bought cotton fabric and covered it on both sides. The fusion webbing works for that too. It now looks a lot more finished and has a nice texture. It also allowed me to utilize designs instead of a plain felt look. Thanks for posting this! Fantastic idea!

20. Ayu Sayuriy says:

wow…a smart idea..thanks for sharing..good luck…!!!

21. judy b says:

I made one with those thick placemats. Mine is striped on outside and coordinating floral on inside. the placemats are thick and quilt like. Very cushiony!

22. Kevin says:

I am working on this and i am more than halfway done, can’t wait till im finnished

23. philljando says:

Loved this idea. Economical and inventive for craft and fabric lovers.

24. alok says:

i like the idea very much
    it is an idea of a creative mind

25. Tony says:

Thats so sweet. I think I will attempt to make one for my wife as an extra gift. Its so much funkier than the ones you get in the shops. Can you do one for the iPhone?

26. Eka says:

thats so pretty…can I use this ide? i make some stuff from felt dan I sell…

27. Mathilda says:

Oh wow, this is supercute!

28. Hilary says:

I am making mine and decided to go with a blanket stitch around the edges. It makes it look super crafty and also seals in the exposed edges a bit!

29. gee says:

I made one for my macbook and its awesome :)

30. Oh wow, this is supercute!

31. NATALIA says:

Hi!! I like so much your blog.
    My english its no so good, but I´m trying ;D
    Kisses from Spain.

32. Anne says:

This is really a brilliant idea, i just made one for my vaio… i got carried away with decorating the front.
    It’s really great because my laptop bag’s zipper would just keep hitting and scratching the corners. Thanx!

33. Those are so cool. I think I will try and make one for my daugther before she heads off for art school next month. It would be lovely to give her something homemade and bespoke.

34. Romina says:

As BEAUTIFUL as this sleeve is, and i was very keen to make one myself, the comment “small particles of dust, lint, dirt, will cling to the felt and possibly get inside the laptop fan unit. – This is why computer bags are made of leather, vinyl, etc.”
    is all true.

We’ll just have to choose if we want a protector that actually kind of damages our beloved machines.

35. Wow, what a great product, I love them. All I need now is a Mac Book…he he

36. MariePi says:

I really love it! It’s just great =)

37. I have been looking for a tutorial about a sleeve for my IPAD and I just found it here. I can make a smaller version of the sleeve for my other gadgets too. Thanks so much for the idea. This site is a gem!

Annabella Merlin

38. laptop hp says:

It is very very beautiful !!!
    This is great! I really love it

39. Alexis says:

I made this today! And all of my friends are jealous, because it’s super-cute, and not ridiculously expensive like all of their cases! Mine isn’t as polished looking as yours is, I’m just getting into DIY stuff. But it was a really fun project to start my school year off right. Thanks for the wonderful idea.
    (I did mine in charcoal and deep teal, so pretty!)

40. Licinia Assis Martins says:

Olá gostei muito deste seu trabalho. Achei o máximo. Será que posso tirar o molde e fazer?
    Muito obrigado.

41. hannah says:

so simple and easy! i love it:)