diy project: retro cannisters

canisters_after1.jpgderek and lauren‘s diy wednesday post is coming up at 2 today but i had to share this fantastic project sent in by d*s reader heather smith-prisco. inspired by a gorgeous set of vintage canisters she saw on modish, heather decided to make her own diy version. taking design cues from the canisters she saw online, she masked, sprayed (and sprayed some more) and then hand painted a “new” vintage set of baking supply storage. for a photo walk through with instructions, click here. thanks, heather!

[for more diy project posts, click here or click the new “diy” button in the d*s menu to your left]

canisters_before.jpg

canisters_after2.jpg

1. Wow Heather, they look GREAT!!!

2. meg says:

i have those same vintage canisters but i would never ever spray paint them… i love mine!

3. gasp! These are gorgeous and I was just wishing I had some bright retro canisters to fill a spot in my kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration!

4. I have a thing for old-time canisters and these are fantastic! Great inspiration indeed!

5. LaurenAlane says:

These canisters are gorgeous! Could Heather share what type of paint and primer to buy? I couldn’t tell from Flickr. I really would like to do this project on some beat up apple canisters that I own but I’m not sure what primer and what type of spraypaint to buy. Thanks!

6. kati says:

lovely! these make me consider swapping out my vintage owl canisters for a new look!

7. panyizsuzsi says:

WOW! These are great. I have been looking for a nice spice rack for a while. It is so good to see sg. similar!

8. Claire says:

Those are so beautiful! I’ll have to bookmark these for my apartment next semester. Love the colors, too.

9. Jen says:

This reminds me… Grace, I would LOVE to find a canister round-up… hint, hint… :)

10. Laura says:

Great DIY project! I am HUGE fan of vintage canisters. I have a an art deco set from an antique store that I use all the time.

11. hsp says:

meg – I wouldn’t usually consider messing with vintage either, but this particular style is ubiquitous among antique shops so I wasn’t all that attached to keeping them original.

Lauren – The primer and black paint are enamel sprays from Testors – a hobby paint company. I purchased the paint, along with masking tape and a brush from http://www.hobbylinc.com/

Because Testors didn’t have the exact shade of blue I wanted, I chose AttaBoy blue from the Disney collection (weird I know) and had it custom mixed in a high-gloss enamel from Benjamin Moore (it was then thinned and sprayed using a Preval Spray Gun Kit (at home depot).

Black touch ups to the label area and the white letter were done by hand with Rustoleum white and black enamels (again, at HD).

To keep the finish as smooth as possible, a very fine grit wet sanding paper was used between all coats of paint and too rough up the surface of the metal. You’ll also need pant thinner for cleaning as all the paints are oil based.

It took about a week to complete. Make sure you have some kind of mask to help protect your lungs and keep pets away from the area at all times.

12. Lulu says:

I second the hint for a canister round up!

13. seafoam and cannisters are two of my favorites.
    very 1950s.
    i have an old sunbeam handmixer that matches perfectly.

14. artgoodies says:

I love these! they are just great!

15. wow – these are terrific! I’m really diggin’ the color choices too. nice work.

16. kristin says:

wow! i think that this would look great done to my mom’s stuff. she’d never let me do it, though (grrr)

17. blair says:

I have these canisters . . . what a great idea! They look lovely. I’m going to do yellow and black someday soon.

18. Jo says:

Hi! I have these canisters and LOVE them just as they are. Yours are very cute as well.

19. Hilary S says:

Those are so pretty – also one of my favorite color families. I had some old cannisters (copper), but my problem was that the sizes were smaller than today’s and so they couldn’t hold the item named on them. :( These look about the right size, though.

20. Tony says:

WOW – what a great idea – I have had some old canister laying around that are not in very good shap — or at least not something I would put out However reading this — I can breathe new life into them. Fantastic idea!

Thanks!

21. Fiona says:

Hi,

The link to the instructions doesn’t seem to be working anymore; it says the flickr page is private.

Fiona

1. grace says:

fiona

i’ll check this out- sorry.

grace

22. Snottyboy says:

Love this idea! I generally don’t mess w. vintage items either but these are so easy to replace. I may try to paint mine black to match the rest of my kitchen. Thanks for the great idea.

23. Tracy says:

Just got a set on e-bay and copied this idea. They look amazing! Thanks for the post!!

24. Echo says:

I love DIY myself. It makes waste profitable. Love your share …