diy project: dining table

i’ve always loved the idea of having a recycled door as a dining table and thanks to d*s reader and designer julia crawford, i’ve got a manageable diy project now to make that happen (when we live in a house big enough for a long table). julia created this wonderful dining table by using a found door, some glass and lovely gift wrap she placed in each molding square of the door (the inspiration for the table came from julia’s love of paper and repurposing old items) the possibilities for this project are really endless. i’d love to paint a found door white and then use a bright yellow and white gift wrap to fit it. or maybe go the other direction and indulge my nautical fantasies by using old water channel maps. click here to download a pdf julia’s diy project directions. enjoy! [thanks, julia!]

[have a diy project you’d like to share on d*s? just shoot me a line right here with your photos]

1. Hi everyone,
    I didn’t know the link wasn’t working. I’ll email Grace the file tomorrow! I have to find it…

2. Selina says:

I would like to get a copy of the PDF~ I hope you find it Julia!

3. Heather says:

Any updates on finding the link? Thanks so much!

1. grace says:

i’m afraid we haven’t heard back from the author of the project :(

4. Grace,
    I finally located the instructions.
    I just sent you an email with a PDF of the isntructions if you would like to post. Sorry it took SO long. Happy Holidays everyone!

1. grace says:

hi guys!

the pdf is back up and working- thanks julia!

grace :)

5. Anen & Anne,
    So glad to see you did this project! It looks GREAT! Be careful with using spacers to rest the glass on versus resting the glass directly on table/door. In order to rest the glass entirely and directly on the table, you may have to remove all the door handle hardware. Also, the exposed overhang of the glass over the edge of the table is fragile versus cutting the glass to the exact dimensions of the table. Even tempered glass is fragile. Of course, I may be overly concerned with safety here since I have a toddler running around in the house! Enjoy your beautiful dining room! Julia

6. Sara Manly says:

I am in love with this idea and am currently looking for salvage places in the Boston area. My question is where are the chairs from? I saw other posts asking the same question but I never saw an answer. I looked on the Ikea website and see similar type of black chairs but not these ones. Please let me know if you can and also are they comfortable? Im hoping to have seating for eight so I think I need smaller chairs like in the main photo instead of chairs like in Anne’s picture on feb 11, love those chairs but I think they will take up too much room for me…anyway fantastic diy post, thank you!

7. @ Sara Manly Re: Chairs. They are from Pottery Barn in 2006 and I think have been discontinued. They are great chairs for everyday use and abuse and have held up very well. But after a three hour long meal with friends, we all agree the chairs start feeling very stiff. The seat is flat and strait has no contour (for your butt-cheeks). Have you looked at: the Felix Chair from Crate&Barrel, the Slim Chair from cb2, and the Jake Chair from Room&Board? Good luck with the search and the DIY project!

8. Debbie says:

I would love the instructions to this as well! Where can I find them?

9. Bryanna says:

Julia, We are doing this to our old french doors, so we have all the window panes. Do you recommend taking off the edging of each window pane to allow the glass to lay flat? Also, what do you think about the durable plastics for a top instead of tempered glass. I have an 18-month old and soon to have another, so I wonder about the safety of having the glass and durability. Any scratches?

10. Dawn Patterson says:

I want to do this project but the size of the door has been questioned. Stating that the width was too narrow and I should add moldings to extend it. The door is oak.

11. Ann-Marie says:

I just lucked into a beautiful old door at an auction for $2.00! This is exactly what I have been wanting to do with it. Only, I will make it coffee table height for my family room.

12. Kira Bodes says:

I’m so in love with this idea too! so much that I bought a door already for just 10 bucks!! however it has glass panes… I don’t forsee a problem there but wondered what your input was… I was going to do the table saw legs since i loved those but with this door, definitely won’t work. 8- ) you said you got your table legs from ikea?! This table idea was so innovative and now instead of waiting years to afford a dinning table i’m half way there!! 8 -)

13. Laura says:

I just did this, and my table looks absolutely gorgeous. ( A friend gave me a door out of his grandma’s house, sanded it and varnished it for me and we attached table legs and brackets from Lowe’s. However, now it’s time for glass and I am having a heck of a time. The door we used was 34 X 80 inches, and the pre-cut pieces seem too small and when I called to get a custom piece cut today, he told me that size is too big for them. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

14. laura,

have you tried doing two pieces of glass? or even three or four smaller pieces of glass that you butt up to each other to make a big piece? you can make the multiple pieces of glass part of the design.

15. Laura says:

I had settled on getting two pieces of glass from the local hardware store, figuring it’d be easier to change my seasonal designs that I’m putting in the wood and moving the glass for cleaning. However, I am a little concerned about the glass not being tempered with hot dishes, silverware and all that other stuff being on the glass. I have zero knowledge about buying glass. The local hardware gave me a quote of about $25/piece for 2 34X40 pieces, but then a local glass shop gave me a quote for $230. So confused.

16. Laura, You definitely want the glass ta minimum of 3/8″ thick glass, tempered with eased edges. Hope it all works out.

17. Mary says:

Julia, I am in love with this project and would like to try it.vthe PDF is not working. I have an old door I grabbed off the side of the road a year ago and have’t figured out what to do with it till now. Any chance I could get a PDF of the instructions? Please, I love it!

18. Wendy says:

I was in a pub in Michigan that had these tables, some with glass, and some with some sort of resin that they put on the table. They made the tables themselves, and the resin was clear, spread on, and it filled the indented panels, cracks, divots, and whatever else was uneven…and left a totally level even flat hard clear serface for eating on. Anyone have any idea what this resin type stuff would be? I have kids, and really do not want a glass table top.