before/after + sneak peek: alyson fox

i can’t believe i had the self discipline to hold this post for an entire week and not use it right off the bat. i’m such an antsy blogger when it comes to anything vaguely sneak peek related. one of my favorite artists, alyson fox, was kind enough to share a seriously fantastic before + after project that has become more of a mini-sneak peek! alyson and her fiance derek were kind enough to share a sneak peek into their austin home last year and now they’re giving us a peek into their recently made-over kitchen. the project took six months and the final results are in-credible. using countertops and a sink from ikea, alyson and derek made over their existing kitchen to create a warm, modern space. for those of you curious about details, alyson and brian used a spray gun to paint the cabinets (which they matched to alyson’s beautiful orange/red desk. others were stained), used steel for their backsplash, microlam for the shelves, ikea for the table and classic thonet chairs and barstools from homegirls. alyson says they were going for, “a really open simple kitchen with a pop of color” and i think they achieved just that. thanks so much to alyson and derek for sharing their project and another glimpse into their lovely home. great work guys! (be sure to check out all of the photos below the fold, too)

[click here for full sized photos of alyson’s home]

[image above: the kitchen before]

[image above: halfway through the process]

[image above: front of the house before]

[image above: front of the house after]

1. alyson says:

Me again. Thank you again for the amazing compliments. Here are some more answers to questions.
    Emily- the couch is from Design Within Reach- it was actually in reach becaus it was on sale. They still carry it.

Susan- there is no door opposite of the fridge. The window by it was the exterior window of the bathroom at one point. It’s sort of a funny little space, but the friedge actually opens a far as you would need it to.

Lulu, we did not get the cabinets from IKEa, just the sink, counter tops and table. The cabinets we odered online. There are a few places that make wood cabinets in various dimensions.

Allie, not a rude question at all. We were able to do it for $10,000 ( applicances and all). If you have the manpower ( an amazing father-in-law and family like we had ) you can save a lot.
    Thanks again!

2. Jenna says:

What a fabulous kitchen! I love the little white hanging pots on the backsplash. Where did you get them?

3. Melanie says:

Alyson & Derek you guys did ALOT of work. Your kitchen is amazing. I love all the openness and how the color pops. The interior photos were a treat to see as well. What is the next project??Also, I adore all your pottery pieces and how it is all displayed.

4. lulu says:

Thanks for answering alyson. I love the grain of the wood used for the cabinets. Do you have any specific recommendations for a source? Again, much appreciated!

5. kristina says:

where are the shelves from? are they lack? the lack shelves from ikea here say they have a 10 pound max weight and i’m scared to use them

6. lisa s says:

i have serious kitchen envy. wow…..

beautiful alison! yay!

7. Jennifer Catto says:

LOVE IT. Can you please let me know where to find shelves like that? I renovated my kitchen six months ago, and thicker versions of those are EXACTLY what I want, but I haven’t been able to source them. Thank you!

8. alyson says:

Kristina and Jennifer,
    The shelves were custom made from Microlam, which is an engineered wood and then secured to the studs with heavy duty metal brackets that were then dry-walled over to give the effect that they are floating. You can find the wood at most lumber yards.

The Cabinets we got from a company called cabparts. They were prefabricated to our specific order and we got ours in an oak veneer that we then painted the redy-orange color for some and stained the others.

9. alyson says:

p.s. the little white ceramic pots hanging over the sink are from IKEA.

10. Jillian says:

Overall lovely job; I’ve already ordered the “Keep Calm..” print and can’t wait to frame it and find a perfect spot for it! Could you please share the exact paint color and brand you used for the light blue/gray color? I’ve been hunting for a color like that for my kitchen. Thanks in advance!!!

11. I love this kitchen and the red, the red! An inspiration!

12. donna says:

yes… A work of art! Did you have to prime the cabinets so the paint color would take well? Would you be so kind to share your start-to-stop process?! Thank-you!

13. Jennifer Catto says:

Thank you! That is a huge help. Your house is beautiful!

14. Sarah says:

I want to live there! What a beautiful inspiration for my own eventual kitchen remodel! And that porch, wow!

15. Courtney says:

Is there anything Alyson does that isn’t just perfect? You are so talented!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us. It turned out so beautiful.

16. thurndotte says:

You guys are awesome! I’m so proud of you! Love you and miss you.

17. Lillibet says:

Cat and Odessa, if you like Alyson’s barstools, try these from ebay:
    they’re not exactly the same, but close!

18. Carrie Kim says:

Alyson your home is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it. We’re bogged down in the middle of major renovations in our home.
    Your finished pictures are inspiring:) I love your paint colors. Do you mind sharing those too?

19. alyson says:

Thanks again!
    Jillian and Carrie please e-mail me at I have to search our shed to look for the pain colors.
    Donna, yes the cabinets were primed. We used a spray gun that we put our primer in first and then we did our color. I say we, but Derek did it. He painted 3 coats of the color which you have to let dry between coats (and you have to watch for drips.) We used an oil based paint becasue it’s supposed to hold up better with day to day use. You can rent a spray gun from a few places if you do not want to buy one. Clean up is no fun!
    Courtney- you are too kind.

20. Kris says:

I love the barstools. Where did you find them?

21. Shauntelle says:

I love the kitchen. The colors are gorgeous and I love the shelves. I could never keep things so neatly to display like that though!

Great job! Very inspiring.

22. jemmy says:

I love it! Can someone please tell me where the wonderful mortar & pestle set is from?

23. Carrie says:

What an amazing house. May I ask what color red you used? Its perfect. And I too have been looking for that mortar and pestle set.

24. jenny says:

i’m totally inspired. we have kitchen-talk all the time about 0ur 1960’s rancher. this has inspired me to knock out a half wall and create a little bar area overlooking the livingroom.

thanks for sharing so many great photos of the before and after, you guys did a beautiful job!!!!!

25. Paula says:

Totally agree with Sabrina, great sign on the wall!! Everyone should have one of those….

26. cococozy says:

I love this small space. What a great remodel. You can go to my blog at and see some other small space remodels

27. Compare says:

Wow! Funny how this kitchen now seems much larger and more spacious.