David Stark’s Brooklyn Home

1107.jpg
i’m honored to share a special sneak peek today into the home of brooklyn based event planner and designer david stark. a graduate of both risd and sva, david has worked with big-time clients like beyoncé (i’m dying to know what that was like), jon stewart, target and condé nast but also offers expert planning and design for smaller, more intimate occasions like dinner parties and weddings. i’m familiar with david’s work with bridal bouquets and tabletop (he has a book on both subjects) but i wasn’t familiar with his home in my own borough. just a hop skip and jump away from our neighborhood, david lives in brooklyn and describes his home as “a constantly changing gallery of art pieces”. his way with color is amazing (his bedroom is my dream room) and i hope you’ll enjoy the full sneak peek (and david’s comments) below. as always you can click here for larger photos of david’s home. enjoy! [thanks so much to david for sharing his home with us]

285.jpg
My house is a constantly changing gallery of art pieces — from pieces that my studio has created for events to art pieces that I have purchased. I adore residing within an ever-changing collage, and I am lucky enough to use my studio downstairs as a constant source of new ideas and materials to keep the place always feeling new.

366.jpg
Right now I am interested in subverting classic furniture shapes with surprising fabrics. The traditional wing chair feels zippy and young upholstered in a plush Kermit the Frog-like velvet

david-stark-bedroom-copy.JPG
It’s funny. I wear very little color. I feel most comfortable in dark neutrals. But in my home, I MUST have vivid blazing color everywhere. The color of my icy pink bedroom is mesmerizing. It looks different depending on what time of day it is. In the morning when I lie in bed with my eyes first open, it is a dusky lavender while at night, it is definitely a the softest kiss of pink. Color should have mystery. I stare at the pink, and I can’t figure out how it is made — what colors it is composed of. I love that.

436.jpg

521.jpg

614.jpg

713.jpg

85.JPG

1. Jen says:

The chocolate-lime combination is absolutely divine. And I love the framed manties.

2. christiana says:

I love the bedroom! Is there any way to get the details on his pink paint?

3. laura says:

I am so jealous of that bright green wing chair, it’s criminal. And is that an Alexander Girard design on the pillow? Cutest thing ever.

4. liz says:

I’m a big fan of David’s — he’s just a really lovely guy to work with, and obviously ridiculously talented. That bedroom paint color IS gorgeous – I’d love to know what it is!

5. joy says:

love David’s work! i went to the Target Pop-up Store party in the Hamptons a few years ago that David designed and it was gorgeous…so great to see these photos of his home! -joy

6. shira says:

delicious– can i know where his amazing striped rugs are from and who is the artist behind the “blurry”/”pixelated” dollar bill??

7. Andy says:

I made dinner for Beyonce once and it was sweet. Right after “No, no, no”. She was even foxier before she became a Superstar.

shira, Looks like a Tom Friedman print.

Nice wall of glass in that apartment.

8. Nina says:

I enjoy all these sneak peaks so very much, thanks for posting so many this week!

9. Gretchen says:

I simply must know the brand and color used in the bedroom! I once slept in a room this color and its true, the color changes and warms and cools during the day. Please find out what color that is so I can use it in my own space.

10. anahata says:

I too have been seeing so many wonderful simple striped rugs and don’t know where to find them! Also some of the fabrics in his pillows (like the yellow and brown stripe that anthropology used last year on a side chair) came from. Dying for those resources if anyone knows. Great post!

11. bluestar says:

Anyone know where one could get their hands on a fabulous white tree like the one pictured in the 6th photo (behind the grey sectional couch)?

12. i love david stark. he is an amazing event designer. i love the patio.

13. Chris says:

Does anyone know about the white tree in the living room? Thanks, as always, to Grace.

14. grace says:

i just heard from david’s office, the pink paint is:

Janovic Plaza’s “Prettiest Pale,” number 8148

i’m tempted to do a room in this color. oh wait, ac would kill me. argh…

grace

15. dcdub says:

Any update on where to find the striped rugs?

16. grace says:

i have an email out to david’s publicist to ask about the rugs, will update as soon as i hear :)

grace

17. Turquoise says:

This is totally awesome!
    Thanks for sharing Grace!

18. Janet says:

That is a great color on that chair — even if it is Kermit the Frog green.

19. michele says:

I would love to know where the couch is from. I’ve been shopping for one and his is perfect.

20. Laura Nugent says:

who made the “underpants” drawing?

21. Oorbee says:

I LOVE colorful homes, they make me soooooo very happy.

22. grace says:

Ok, the source for the striped rugs!

“Double Knot is the name of the store. David says, “It is one of the best kept rug secrets in New York!”

Grace

23. grace says:

And the art print is by Tom Friedman

Grace

24. Kyle says:

I picked out that white tree too! It almost blends in with everything else that’s going on in the room, but it’s such an awesome piece of sculpture.

I too, would like to know where it’s from although it’s not likely that I could afford it. Haha.

25. Erika says:

Oh! Wow. His home looks like one contiguous art installation. fantastic. The COLORS! Browns, limes, the surprising restfulness in the bedroom pink . . . umm . . . officially jealous!

26. Wow, wow, wow! I am ready to move in.

27. shira says:

the undies print is a hugo guinness. the john derian company carries his work. i’m so so obsessed!

28. Heidi says:

Does anyone know where/ what is the white tree in the living room? I want one!!!

:O) Thank you

29. tundrah says:

this is my all-time favorite sneak peek–heavenly!!!! i love the contrast of the bold limes and browns verses the pink and white bedroom. i had a lavender living room in my last house and it was unbelievably soothing…

i also was coveting those striped rugs, thanks for the source Grace!

30. Aly says:

Does anyone know where I can find that grey couch. It is so perfect and lovely!

31. tara says:

does anyone know the fabric on his kofod larsen chair? i’m looking to reupholster mine.

32. grace says:

more answers:

1. The white tree is something that David and his studio made for a project that he reclaimed as home décor instead of getting rid of it. The leaves are all cut from white paper and I painted the tree trunk and branches white. They hot glued the leaves onto the branches.

2. The sofa: David bought it years ago from a store called TROY that was next to MOSS in Soho for many years. Back then, it was one of the city’s pivotal design sources. David says the sofa is one of the best purchases he has ever made and is filled with down. “It is super comfy and like brand new. I love it”

33. luciana says:

la decoracion es hermosisima!!!

34. aunt mim says:

Oh my Gawd! I love it all! Thanks for sharing.

35. katelyn says:

An event planner? What a cool job!! His house is so funky! I want that green chair (:

36. ElainaMarie says:

His work deff. makes me swoon!
    So I’m thinking, find a fake ficus tree and a couple cans of spray paint. Then, I know I saw a brown striped rug at Target. Last, find a lamp to match the one that looks like a weaved porcelain basket. Thanks for the great ideas!

37. Tara says:

Great apartment! I love the covers on the bertoia chairs. I’ve been looking for covers for mine forever – does anyone know where to get them or are they custom made?

38. Ha… I love that icey pink too Grace! Maybe ac would not mind sooo much, it’s understated right?

39. Stacy says:

David Stark is a gifted designer, thank you for sharing this sneek peak. Could you please tell me where the white deer came from?
    Many thanks.

40. FubulousChic says:

Hi,
    What ever happened to David’s web site? was it removed? Thanks.

41. I really see your love for vivid colors come out in these rooms. Is that one picture of a dollar bill knitted or is it just obscured behind glass?

42. Sarah says: