before and after: side table

d*s reader ashley sent in a great before and after project to share: she found this old side table and refinished it with butterfly details and a new stain color. so lovely!

1. C says:

I’d like to know how the top and drawer were done–paper and modpoge or something?

2. Ditto. I’d love to know how she did it. I recognize the butterfly paper from the Waste Not Paper line.

3. B says:

It looks a little too “cleaned up” for me. The ‘before’ has so much more texture and evokes that the piece has history.

4. Anna @ D16 says:

Is this really the same table? The proportions seem so different in the second photo, the legs even look like they got more tapered!

Lovely work, in any case. I love the mottled wooden knob against the bright paper.

5. Laura says:

That paper is available in sheets from Paper Source as well — logically, since Waste Not Paper is owned by the same people.

6. Kristen Wagner says:

How did she go about doing this? I am trying to refinish my desk and would love to know the stain she used.

7. aya says:

i prefer the before.

8. Ashley says:

After stripping the paint, off I sanded it down to get some scratches out. This caused a difference in color to the table top which after stained took on an interesting marbled appearance. Then I just used modpoge and paper using extra attention around the corners and in the end applied a finishing varnish. It was fun!

9. Kristen Wagner says:

What type of stain and varnish did you use?

10. Christina says:

WOW! This is so inspiring!!! :-) I am going to be refinishing an old desk. I need to get my creative juices flowing!