sneak peek: amy sedaris

there is so much incredible content that was intended for the house & garden website that won’t be making it on the site. rather than continue to cry about it, i figured i should share some of it here. one of my co-workers sent over these shots of actress, author and hostess extraordinare amy sedaris‘ manhattan house. every inch is just as kooky as i’d expected, but with wonderful touches i didn’t see coming: charley harper prints, j pritchard tiles, and a great collection of boxes. i have a serious soft spot for amy (ac was an extra on her show, strangers with candy, back in the day) so it’s such a treat to catch a glimpse into her home. click here for more information on amy and here for house and garden, you can see amy’s house in print in the final december issue (on stands now).

1. Keyse says:

Meat and Cake, yum! I love Amy Sedaris :)

2. Patricia Muniz says:

Sou brasileira, visito o site designsponge todos os dias e adoro!
    Gostaria de mandar fotos de algumas esculturas que meu marido faz, em breve estarei enviando!
    Descupe, meu inglês não é dos melhores!
    Um abraço,

3. Lindsey says:

I LOVE AMY SEDARIS!! How fantastic that you are willing to share — thank you so much…

4. Katie says:

I can’t wait to check out the December issue of House & Garden. Thanks for the heads up!

5. katie says:

ac was in strangers with candy!!!!!!! that’s awesome!! hee! what episode? i bought the box set for my husband last christmas. have to check it out!

6. Anna @ D16 says:

My heart belongs to Amy Sedaris!

7. grace says:

heehee. yes he was. he had a bit part on the episode where she writes an advice column.

in the final scene at the skating rink he’s got a big metal contraption on his head. it’s hysterical. but if you blink you might miss him ;)

8. christie says:

LOVE HER! thanks for sharing, it’s so great to see the house of amazing people like this.

9. Transplanted says:

She has quite a lot of “stuff” is that a white Christian Louboutin Pigalle I see at the top of the very last photo? How divine!

10. Matt says:

I love both Amy and David Sedaris, but there’s just something about the way Amy decorates her home that makes me think she’s a crazy person.

11. Bridget says:

I just bought the issue last night – I wanted so much more of Amy’s house so thanks for posting.

12. whoa says:

I was thinking the same thing Matt. That house screams crazy and unstable….scary! It actually makes me physically sick to look at it. Not cool

13. Mindy says:

I wondered if she had to go out and find all those props you see in the picts in her entertaining book….I guess she already had them.

14. victoria says:

i so wanna be amy sedaris when i grow up….oh, shooooooot – i already am grow up! i forgot to be amy sedaris!!!

15. rebecca says:

ditto to victoria. i’m going to explode with joy.

16. fluffy says:

whoa is wrong! there’s a difference between being artistic, creative and interesting, and being crazy. she’s a genius and you don’t get it. sorry you’re feeling sick!

17. kati says:

I saw this today when I was at work and it took every ounce of strength to contain myself! I love Amy – she is one of the reasons I have become so interested in both cooking and entertaining. she’s an inspiration as a comedienne and as a hostess.

18. jess says:

haha i know exactly what part you’re talking about with the metal contraption! too funny

19. Tammy says:

Whoa, what a weird coincidence! I just got Amy Sedaris’s book I Like You, and it’s AWESOME. I’ve seen some photos of her home long ago, in an issue of Bust, but your photos are much more comprehensive. So thanks!

I love Sedaris’s humour and style. On the surface, it all seems crazy, but if you look closely, it definitely has its own brilliant internal logic.

20. eric says:

my girlfriend said I can marry Amy Sedaris, sweet! Just kidding, she said no, but I will consider.

21. Austin says:

It’s almost like something our of a Mark Ryden painting. Fantastic!

22. Matthew Rose says:

I was somewhat disappointed I couldn’t enlarge the photos here to get a really detailed look at some of those objets on the mantlepiece and the shelves.

One has to credit Ms. Sedaris for her kooky kitchy consistency in the collection. It’s more like an installation, but what sticks in the mind is the question: “how did that thing get in here?” My guess: It came in on its own! Slug Death? Whoa!

23. Amy says:

I’m not surprised by the Charley Harper prints. Aren’t she and Todd Oldham good friends? I love Amy Sedaris! The stories about her in David’s books are hilarious.

24. anne says:

It’s beautiful and brilliant! It’s amazing how much her acting and writing sensibility is consistently expressed in her space.

(If you want to see a crazy celebrity crib, scroll back to the earlier D*S post on Gwyneth’s Hamptons pad and see if Mommie Dearest comes to mind.)

25. kristin says:

by chance does anyone know where her coffee table is from?

26. grace says:

the full sized shots are in the magazine . i don’t have permission to run those ;)

27. cat says:

genius. I’m so glad you shared these—I’m a long time subscriber-sniff.

28. Elle says:

Love the painting of her bunny. Do any of the photos in the mag show her pet houserabbit?

29. Loopy says:

God I love Amy.
    & you can really see Todd Oldham’s influence!! (‘pecially on the sofa/bookshelf) They make such magic, they should do everything together!

30. Jennifer says:

“To be nobody-but-yourself–in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else–means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.–e. e. cummings”

But I have to wonder… who the hell dusts the place!?

31. Lydia says:

My God! She has a Lowly Worm?!?!?!?!?! so not fair.

32. mod*mom says:

i want to see her kitchen + bathroom!

sad about house & garden, but less paper is better for the environment + design*sponge is better for everyone, so maybe their advertisers should just pay you + you can hire some of your magazine pals :)

33. Jennifer says:

Love, love, love Amy Sedaris! Thank you for sharing this wonderful peek at her home!

34. knitxcore says:

omg. i effin love her.

35. Samira says:

Wow what a major treat…I love Amy Sedaris!
    Love the painting of the bunny above the fireplace!
    Thanks a bunch for sharing Grace!

36. Alice says:

I have a very similar kind of decorating sense AND I did a portrait of my rabbit! I have a grenade and urine sample cups on my toilet! I keep my makeup in graduated cylinders and beakers! My Christmas tree is a medical theatre theme! Hurrah for kitsch, boo to people who don’t understand. We aren’t crazy, we just like interesting things!

37. Emily says:

Does she have a Richard Scarry bug on her shelf? If so, that’s awesome on top of awesome.

38. Susan says:

I first discovered Amy on Martha Stewart’s show. Amy appeared to be the first person who towers over Martha, “It’s MY recipe, so do it my way.” She was so precocious, petite, and powerful, I called my NYC daughter and told her I had just seen Amy Sedaris and suggested she look her up. “Mom, if there were anybody I would consider my “idol” it is Amy Sedaris.” (She then Netflixed me to
    Strangers with Candy) THEN I bought “I Like You.” It resides on my coffee table. Last time I visited NYC, I went to the corner where Amy lives and tried to find the bakery where she sells cupcakes makes at 3:00 am.
    Love her. Didn’t find the cupcakes.

39. anna says:

so many things…

40. carole wiles says:

Had a problem with the “skin pink” stated color of i think, the sewing machine…..who’s skin would that be….but Loved the fireplace. I hate mine. any tips tips on painting the bricks like that. looks like a matte paint, but also looks sort of chalky. maybe not real bricks either as it is a fake fireplace?

41. c16621 says:

..being different and unique is great, but displaying a mountain of hodge-podge, with no cohesion and unity demeans the whole point. How can any of those wonderful items shine, when they are all vying for attention? Also, function should come into the picture somewhere. Where does a guest place their drink if the coffee table is cluttered? How do you read a book if you can’t get to it? This is accessorizing gone crazy….

42. Cliff says:

I had the pleasure of visiting here on my 30th.

43. melanie says:

love the rabbit painting!

44. Gabriela says:

I love Amy and will definitely get her book!

~ Gabriela ~

45. Tasteful, understated, just as I expected. Thanks for sharing.