sip sip, tweet tweet

dsc04279.JPG
i’m packing for chicago this morning and drinking my tea from a brand new cup. i tend to buy cups one at a time and end up with an assortment of random patterns and sizes. i found this new cup at tarzian west in brooklyn when i ran over to find some pot hooks. the plate versions of this style caught my eye and i thought, “charley harper has his work on tableware?”. so i popped inside to check it out and it looks like it’s just a charley harper-esque pattern official charley harper edition by a company called tag. it was only $7 with the saucer so i scooped it up as research. when i got home i looked online and couldn’t find any harper work printed on tableware so i’m assuming this is not the real thing. it looks like you can find some harper prints on mugs right here though. so until i can find the real thing i’ll be sipping from my little bird cup this morning, trying not to get too nervous about the meetup tomorrow

[ps: the utensil pot behind the cup is by karin eriksson. you can view her “in the kitchen with” recipe right here]

dsc04282.JPG

1. becca jo says:

You have to go to the TAG outlet when you’re in Chicago then! It’s not to be missed! I don’t know the hours that the outlet is open, but here’s the location-
    1730 W Wrightwood Ave
    Chicago, IL 60614
    (773) 871-1300

2. Tag is a large wholesale company. A lot of the stuff you see in housewares stores typically is from them. Their office is actually in Chicago. I love the bird cup, but as an artist it makes me made they are being Charley Harper – esque without paying tribute to him. I used to be a designer at Design Ideas which is basically Tag’s biggest competitor.

3. cevec says:

How sweet! I saw lots of Harper goodies at the Cincinnati Art Museum; they had an exhibit of Charley & Edie’s work earlier this year. There were quite a few home goods in addition to the many prints, although I don’t remember seeing this particular mug, which is lovely.

Here are more examples:

4. grace says:

just an update guys, this IS a harper print. i just heard from tag and they have a deal with the harper estate. so no rip-offs here, it’s the real deal.

grace

5. Kristi says:

I thinks it’s beautiful little tea cup.
    I love the new layout and design of the website by the way.

6. christine says:

You can find these adorable cups online at http://www.wrapables.com. search under harper’s harvet! I bought 2 sets to give as gifts!

7. anne says:

I saw this line at Powells in Portland when I was there a few weeks ago. I think they may have also sold it at the Whole Foods in Portland.

8. Christina says:

Great cups! And also a great idea for a Christmas present…

9. Karina says:

Just saw some of these plates and napkins too. Now I wish I had bought them!

10. Carrie says:

On a related Harper note, I bought some Harper Cross Stitch recently. Here’s one: http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.pl?item=4355

11. anne says:

If you’re in Vancouver or Victoria (Canada), Tag dishes can be found at Paboom stores.

12. Linda says:

I see that the website for TAG (www.tagdinnerwareus.com) has now added some Harper’s Harvest items to their site for purchase. I ordered the appetizer plates- so cute!