scout + my little plaid chair

hi, i’m not sure if we’ve met before- my name is grace, and i am a chair-a-holic. for some reason (i’m convinced it’s biological) i find myself physically and emotionally drawn to chairs. i’m not sure what it is, but when i find the perfect one, i find it nearly impossible to resist, even though i need another chair like britney needs another driving ticket. but of course, this weekend i was incapable of resisting the beautiful paul mccobb chair in the photo above. so, say hello to my new plaid chair. here’s how it happened..

this weekend the lovely stephanie of agnes and hoss (who graciously hosted me in her beautiful home for two days) took me to several of her favorite shops. almost all of them were beautiful but my absolute favorite was a vintage store in andersonville called scout. the second i saw the beautiful credenza in the main window i knew i was doomed. i tried to think of all the reasons i shouldn’t be buying furniture but they drifted out of my head as i imagined redesigning my entire house to match the look of the chair (something more ‘scandinavian farmhouse’ and less ‘girly brooklyn’). scout was absolutely chock-full of beautiful vintage furniture that can been cleaned up, re-upholstered or re-painted. basically, scout’s entire mission is the recipe for my perfect store. mix in one part vintage, one part having a good-eye and one part knowing what could be added to improve upon the original and presto- my favorite type of store. if you can get the prices to a reasonable place, too then well, we’re in business. compared to nyc prices, scout was reasonably priced for me, but i’m sure some locals might disagree. so i’ll just reitterate that, compared to the stores i visit in nyc, scout was pretty reasonably priced.

i could go on and on but i’ve got to find some work so i can afford my little mccobb chair. so i’ll let the pictures do the talking. if you’re in the chicago area and haven’t visited scout yet, i highly suggest you check it out. just tell the friendly owner, larry, that grace and stephanie said hi.

1. Robin says:

I adore Scout. I stumbled upon it 3 years ago after moving to Chicago with nothing and the Scout aesthetic really shaped the way I put together my place. I did get a few pieces there, while also using it as a kind of jumping off point when thrifting for used furniture. I feel so happy when I go in there, and I always leave so inspired.

2. Keyse says:

Beautiful store. My friend just moved from Chicago…maybe she will be interested in a trip back…

3. Diane says:

I wish I lived in Chicago, any chance they will have an online store anytime soon or is shipping these items an astronomical amount?

Great photos!!!

4. Stacy says:

Sweet…I love stores like this. They’re the best finds ever. Looks like I moved away from Chicago too soon! I’ll check it out when we are visiting the fam. I love finding these little “gems” of stores where you can wear comfy clothes and hunt for treasures all day – finding unique items and then creative ways to use them! So inspiring. If you are ever in Indianapolis – check out Midland Arts & Antique Market. All-day fun – 125+ vendors.

5. zee says:

Cute cute chair! Where are you putting it? I think it would compliment your awesome Kofod-Larsen rocking chair just perfectly.

6. lillly piri says:

i love those silver fruits & the wooden ‘scout’..beautiful!

7. susan says:

so very cool! i can understand your chair addiction. scout will be on my list to check out… looks like the perfect shop.

8. I’m convinced it is genetic. Growing up my father would come home every couple years with a fabulous chair he had bought on a whim. I used to spin around endlessly on our leather Eames chair, having no idea what style I was surrounded by. . . “Lucky” for me, my apartment came fully furnished. Granted I would change most of the furniture, but it is saving me a few sheckles in the meantime…

9. Christine says:

Great chair! Scout certainly looks like the kind of place I could get myself in a lot of trouble too. My weakness however is dishware, does anyone have an army that needs feeding?!

10. I love the name of the store – Short, memorable and meaningful!

11. lena says:

i L-O-V-E the chair.

12. Bridget says:

Great chair and the credenza in the window is to DIE for!

13. nina says:

I have the same thing with chairs! I have about 24 dining room chairs and 6 lounge chairs in a kind of small apartment…

14. A fantastic chair. Just looking at it makes me feel warmer!

15. Uncle Beefy says:

Grace! That was so nice of you to get that chair for ME! Should I send you my address so that it can be shipped off immediately or shall I just swing by and pick it up?

16. Gwen says:

I’m so glad to live a short walk away from Scout. It really does inspire me to end. Even just ogling the window display can inspire. I ADORE the chair you picked out. Tooo cute.

17. Holly says:

I can’t believe it!! I was at a barn sale a few months ago and in the barn underneath pile of rubble I found 2 of those chairs being treated like garbage. It was love at first site for me. As I walked over to the seller I imagined where they would go in my home.
    Sadly, the owners had just found out, the day before, that they were by a famous designer and they decided to keep them.
    I was devastated to say the least. I bet they are still sitting under all the trash out in that moldy and wet old barn.
    All I can do is dream about them now. I’m so happy for you.
    Oh, could you tell us what they are worth, I’m curious, now.

18. Betsy says:

Grace, I scooped up that credenza on Sunday! What a find! We’re picking it up today. Had a great time at the Biz night, too. Thanks for all that you do.

19. katie says:

I’m loving all the pieces Scout currently has covered with that amazingly soft plaid fabric. I saw an adorable little stool there a few weeks ago in a blue plaid and I just kept on fondling it! They have the most gorgeous stuff!

20. Mona says:

I have the chair in the first picture. It came with a desk from an estate sale. I love the plaid seat.

21. gilda says:

i wish scout were nearer to me in nyc. i just moved here a couple of months ago and have been having trouble finding affordable, nice looking furniture. boo!

22. Greer says:

This store looks wonderful – will have to visit when I’m in for Christmas. I’m loving things in every photo. Great name, too. Sigh. This makes me really miss Chicago.

23. citywendy says:

I just moved to NYC from Chicago where I’d lived down the street from Scout since they opened. There was nothing better than walking by Scout and seeing a new display in the window, spotting a cool lamp in a corner, or getting inspired by a vintage footstool. Aw, now I feel a little homesick…

24. Shelly says:

Across the street and just a few yards north of Scout is a vintage/antique furniture store just full of great finds. I even got to climb through a truck full of furniture parked out back to search for a matching 50’s chair. Prices were super LOW and they gave me one free since it needed some wood repair.

25. Christine says:

I visited scout after reading about it on your website! I ended up buying my dining room table there. I saw the table the same time as three other people who were ready to buy it and I literally yelled out that I would take it!

The owner, Larry, was so sweet and he was so proud that he had been featured on your website, he even pulled it up to show my mom in the store!

Anyway, quick question, i am looking for a Kofod Larsen rocking chair, the same one that you have. I have scoured ebay and craigslist and have had no luck. Any suggestions. Also, what is a fair price range to pay for one of those beauties?