flip top birch coffee table

ac and i are on the search for a new coffee table. we’ve been pathetically trying to share a lone benjamin stool from ikea and it just won’t hold both of our legs along with dinner and drinks. so we’re on the hunt for something else. at the top of my list? a beautiful new design from austin designer jennifer james wright. jennifer sent over her latest design, the flip-top birch coffee table, this weekend and i’m totally smitten.

jennifer is only 23 but she already runs her own design business called gezellig print, specializing in screen-printed home decor. he new table tops are printed on both sides and can be lifted and flipped to show either side. the table’s images were inspired by austin’s east-side neighborhoods and are all hand-printed. you can check out more of jennifer’s work and pick up one of these lovely tables (in two color schemes) right here for $375. thanks to jennifer for sending over her work- it’s always so wonderful to see young women running their own businesses.

1. Julie says:

Very cool!

2. Laura says:

Wowee, fantastic table! If all else (including budget) fails I recommend 2 square Lack tables from Ikea. Big enough for dinner, drinks, 4 feet, cats, small house plant ;)

3. morgan says:

I have a coffee table very similar to this – birch, but the top is two boards, each with a design on both sides. It’s very cool and fun. I’m not sure if it’s an older run from the same designer, but mine ran about

4. Dana says:

This is a great table, but just so we’re clear, the design and reversability are a VERY direct take-off of a fun, inexpensive Umbra coffee table. It’s not an original conceit.

5. grace says:

just a note: this concept (screenprinting on tables or furniture) isn’t new to this table and isn’t original to the umbra table- it’s been in the industry for a while now.

6. Sandy says:

I thought the point is the creative ART incorporated in a functional piece of furniture. The table concept may be familiar, but the art is unique….and makes me smile.

7. lena says:

this isn’t the same designer as the umbra table that i have? it is almost identical in design and materials. i’m not passing any judgment, just confused because they seem to be the same product.

8. Anna @ D16 says:

I’m confused as well — when I saw this post yesterday, I thought it was a new design for the discontinued Umbra table (though with a much higher price tag). It is nearly identical in the choice of materials, the design and function of the table, and the style of the screenprinted artwork. Looking at the other Gezellig products, it appears that the “birch shelving boxes” she offers are actually screenprinted off-the-shelf PS Boda boxes from IKEA, so perhaps it is simply her practice to rework exisiting products into something new…?

9. As many commented, this design looks very close to our REMIX table, a design Umbra brought to market in 2005. The designer of this design is not associated with Umbra in any way. So some might call it a total knock-off of Umbra’s REMIX table.
    Umbra’s REMIX table was conceived for U+, which is Umbra’s studio collection, where we do experimental design, in small local production runs, often with a focus on recycled elements. The good news is that we at Umbra are working on a new generation of the REMIX table that will come out in January for the U+ collection. Check our website if you need more information, http://www.umbra.com.

10. By the way, the designer of Umbra’s REMIX table is a young female American designer, Sandra Ciganic-McKinney, an incredibly talented designer who has worked with Umbra for the last 3 years.

11. Jason Nip says:

The artwork might be original but the design is a knock-off. The “Remix” table was designed by Sandra Ciganic-McKinney. She’s young and talented Toronto based graphic designer. She’s also responsible for the industrial design of the table.

12. grace says:

just a note: i’ve informed the designer of this table about the comments here so she can participate in the conversation.

13. Jennifer says:

Hi everyone, Grace informed me of conversation occurring and I’m sorry the table has created such a stir.

Firstly, I’m sorry that some have found this too be too similar to Umbra’s table. It’s disheartening to hear it called a “knock-off” and of course that was never my intention.

The origin of it’s structure was formulated between my carpenter and I. We were trying to create something that would pack tightly, would not weigh much but still be sturdy (hence the Birch), and would be easy to assemble. I chose to make it double-sided because I wanted to offer more than one design. The reversible top seemed to make sense since we were already creating a puzzle-like structure and there was so much surface space. Yes, I had seen Umbra’s table (albeit.. long ago) but I was by no means trying to copy it. I pulled up a photo of it just now and I’m especially surprised that Anna finds the artwork’s style to be similar.

The reason why it’s $375 is because everything is hand-made and hand-printed.. lots of time and labor. And because of that, there are only 10 tables in existence.

As for the comment about the boxes, yes that is correct. They are PS Boda boxes. I printed those almost a year ago and it was my first experiment printing on wood. I received many compliments from friends and decided to make more so I sold them on Etsy and on an older Gezellig site. I never claimed to have made the boxes and always explained to customers where they came from if they asked. You’ll notice I no longer sell those. They are only included in the new site so showcase the design work (although I’m realizing I should make that clearer).

Again, I’m very sorry this has upset some. Please feel free to send me an email if you like.

14. Tim says:

The reversible printed tabletop concept isn’t new, but Umbra didn’t invent it from scratch, either. I saw it on an episode of Trading Spaces circa 2004.

Jennifer, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Your artwork is original, and the table design strikes me as your own take on a generic concept.

15. Irma says:

Very original table. Ready to the coffee

16. BenP says:

What a beautiful table. I’ll need to look into that for when I’m sippin on my intelligentsia coffee.