’tis the season for lists! (already… can you believe it?) we’ve got about a dozen going so far: holiday gifts for friends, holiday gifts for each other, ingredients for thanksgiving feasts, etc. we get a kick out of having “a place for everything, and everything in its place” so we like to use different notebooks for different lists. and since we often need to look at various lists at the same time (you know, cross-referencing and such), we created this matching trio of notebooks using the same scallop print in three different colors for the covers, and scrap paper for the pages. then we made a simple little pocket out of cardstock to store them in so they don’t get lost amid the holiday shuffle. just click here for the full instructions and more photos (or click “read more” below)!
derek and lauren
What you’ll need:
Paper! (Three 5.25″ x 6.25″ pieces printed on heavyweight paper for the covers, eighteen 5″ x 6″ pieces of scrap paper for the inside pages, and a 7.75″ x 6.5″ piece of cardstock for the pocket)
1″ hole punch (optional)
1. Find a favorite image or pattern for the covers and print out three versions at 5.25″ x 6.25″ onto heavyweight paper or cardstock. Cut out using your x-acto blade and straight edge.
2. Cut out sheets of 5″ x 6″ paper for the inside pages (we used 6 sheets per book, that when folded in half give us 12 handy little pages).
3. Use a bone folder to score your cover stock down the center for easy folding.
4. Take a stack of 6 inside pages and center them on top of a cover piece. carefully holding the stack in place, flip it over and bind all the pages together with 2 staples right on the fold. Repeat for remaining two books.
5. Fold each booklet in half and place under a heavy book for a while to flatten them out.
6. To make the envelope for your little books, cut out a rectangle out of solid colored cardstock that measures 7.75″ x 6.5″.
7. To create the bottom flap and make a seam in the center back of the pocket, you need to cut 2 notches from the bottom of the cardstock. The first is 1″ up from the bottom and 2.75″ from the left side of the paper, the second is 1″ up from the bottom and 1.75″ from the right side.
8. Place your booklets on the rectangle directly above the tab (and flush with the top of the cardstock). Fold the bottom tab up and stick a strip of double sided tape to the top edge. Fold over the left hand side, place a piece of tape on its edge, and finally fold over the right side flap.
9. Use your 1″ hole punch (or scissors) to make a half circle at the top of the pocket for easy access to your ever-growing lists.