diy project: custom corkboards

we still have a new diy wednesday post coming tomorrow but i couldn’t resist adding this fantastic diy project submitted by d*s reader jennifer wolfe. inspired by julian mayor’s baroque-style corkboards at icff, jennifer decided to create her own version for her office. the results are fantastic and jennifer kindly offered to share her step-by-step instructions as well as a pattern you can print out and use! you can download the instructions right here and the pattern right here. enjoy! [thanks, jennifer!]

1. Raya says:

I love this! We covered one wall in our office with cork, but we have a bunch leftover that I’ve been wanting to do something with. This is much more fun than just framing it like I would normally do. Thanks!

2. Heather says:

Love this!! Great job on the directions. And that green wall ain’t too shabby either.

3. oh! this is perfect :) i just bought a metal tray from target that is going to be turned into a magnet board, and if i make 2 mini versions of these cork boards they will look so great together! thanks!

4. Danielle says:

I’m loving this. I just moved recently. In my old home office, we did a 3 ft tall stripe across one wall with metal. I’m looking for something softer this time around. thanks for sharing!

5. Jessica says:

This is such a great idea. Thank you for sharing the photos and inspiration!

6. marilyn says:

Although this looks lovely, I don’t think it is nice to copy another designer’s original idea and make a pattern out of it and distribute it to the public willy nilly.

7. grace says:

just to clarify, jennifer did not copy julian mayor’s pattern. she was inspired by the baroque-style of his work and created her own unique pattern by hand.

8. Anabel says:

I love it! Time ago I made a thing similar for a craft mag online(in spanish):

9. julie says:

Does anyone know which is the best place to get CHEAP corkboards?

10. Sabine says:

Great idea. Corkboards are usually a bit boring… Thanks for the tute !

11. Annette says:

I just made my own custom corkboard days ago:

Making the mundane beautiful, I love this.

12. marilyn says:

I understand that it is not an exact copy, but if someone off the street would look at it and think it was the same designer I would consider it a copy and not inspiration. I would see it being inspiration if they took the idea of “corkboard in a shape” and made a unique shape out of it- like a submarine or something.

13. Heather says:

How about we call it a knock-off and move on.

14. Lilly says:

Where can you purchase corkboard by specific dimensions?

15. Anna says:

Oh no! I can’t download either the pattern or directions! I get something that says ‘attention webmaster of this site’. I would love to make this – just yesterday I thought, ‘you know, I should really put up a corkboard’ – perfect!

16. This is great. I’ve always wanted to do something like this and didn’t quite know how to go about it. I love the shape too…. but in all of my crafty shopping travels I’ve never encounted a sheet of cork. Where does one purchase such a thing?

17. Eleah says:

that’s cool. pretty shape. I made a mini cork board with foam core and ribbon. it’s for a work blog…..check it out if you want.

18. Renee says:

I am looking for a corkboard that is a specific dimension 36×42 and I am having a hard time finding that size. Can you help me?

19. charly says:

it’s much cheaper to recreate the design using cork contact paper and foamboard or cardboard. these materials can also be cut with an x-acto or scissors instead of power tools.

20. Mina says:

what are the dimensions of the pattern? i.e. what size corkboard do I need to get?

21. VorVoximmob says:

Man .. Beautiful .. Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionallyI’m satisfied to find so many helpful info right here in the publish, we want work out extra techniques on this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .

22. Ana says:

Oh, this is so fun!

I feel so inspired now.

I’m going to do this on my next corkboard, but I think I’ll change the shape a bit, make it slightly more complex.

23. Kim says:

This is so adorable. Does anyone have the directions. Seems the website that is linked is no longer active. I can pretty figure out about cutting the shape, but what’s backing it? Seems roll cork is too thin on its own.