diy wednesdays: refrigerator facelift

fridge
Refrigerator Facelift by The Curiosity Shoppe

Our kitchen has problems. Our old, beat up refrigerator rattles and hums, but the landlord refuses to replace it until it officially kicks the dust. We’ve seriously considered putting it out of its misery, but have since decided that a cheap and easy face lift might be a better option. With Fall finally here, we were inspired to whip up a little collection of felt fridge magnets that we could arrange in a pretty pattern along the side of our fridge.

-Happy Fall!
Derek & Lauren

Here’s what you’ll need (it ain’t much):
2 pieces of 9″ x 12″ felt (we used one gold and one orange)
4 pieces of 5″ x 8″ adhesive magnet sheeting, available at your local craft store
Small piece of paper or cardboard for creating a template
Scissors

1. Create a template by drawing and cutting out a leaf shape onto your paper or cardboard. You can trace around the template before you cut it, or simply hold it up to the felt and cut carefully around it with scissors. Repeat until you have enough leaves to cover the side of your refrigerator. Our junior-sized fridge required 20 pieces. 2. Remove the backings from your magnet paper and place as many leaves onto each sheet as possible. (We fit 5 per sheet) 3. Cut around the leaves with scissors. 4. Attach to fridge as decoration or put those magnets to use holding up your to-do list with style.

1. julie says:

Really cute/simple idea. Hopefully this can help spruce up my 1970’s greenish/yellow beast of a fridge… that my landlord also refuses to replace!

2. Miss Mary says:

Wow, now your fridge looks very much like an old set of mixing bowls that belonged to my Mom…I think the autumn leaf pattern by Hall or Pyrex, can’t remember which.

3. When I dumped my old fridge for a new one I also cut in half my electricity bill.
    Now, the new one is chipping off and after a hand of anti-rust I’ll paint a few designs on it to liven it up.

4. melanie says:

great idea! cute too! kind of reminds me of an orla kiely print :)

5. jane says:

I think that would look lovely on my brand new white fridge too…

6. janet says:

so cute! we have a old kitchen too, what a simple way to make it more lovely. thanks for the diy idea.

7. Adrienne says:

such a cute idea! very creative. thanks for sharing!

8. Elora says:

Nice to know someone else has a dodgy fridge – ours was just replaced by the landlord after a year of using bike straps to keep it closed – cute idea to jazz up the new one though. Any ideas on how to improve the aweful lino on the floor.

9. lealou says:

so cute! what a great idea!

10. Jess says:

I think felt is such an awesome way to craft. I’ve been using it a lot lately with some new work I’ve been doing. This best to find felting supplies is A.C. Moore. Everyone should try it!!

11. punky says:

im so doing this….after i move in to the new place.

12. gingirljen says:

Why oh why haven’t I thought of this before? Such a clever idea an so much easier to move around than stickers!

13. becky says:

any chance d*s will put a “DIY Wednesdays” tab up top near sneak peeks, mini trends, et. al.? I’d love to be able to scroll through all of your creative ideas at once in a nice flow! I am totally stealing this idea for the crappy fridge in the loft I’m staging – genius!

Becky

14. Jenny says:

Your landlord provides a fridge? Blimey! In Australia, the only thing that comes with the house is a crappy rental oven. That doesn’t work properly. And kills any ambition to bake cakes. I swear I didn’t cook a cake for three years at my last rental (now I’m my own slum landlord!)

15. Fantstic idea! I’d chime in that seeking out 100% wool felt for this project (instead of using the thin, flimsy acrylic stuff you find in craft stores) would take this project to the next level. Here in Portland, Ore. Bolt on Alberta carries some, and I’ve also had good luck with this online supplier: http://www.thefeltpeople.com (Of course if you want to go 100% DIY, you could felt your own from recylced sweaters…)

16. WOW this is such a great idea- the perfect rainy day project without getting too messy! Thank you for sharing, our apartment fridge is less than perfect.

17. This is absolutely beautiful! Now I’m thinking I could do something to my ugly plain white kitchen cabinet fronts. Like make these leaf shapes but use them as flower petals instead and just arrange them in a circle as a daisy!
    Corinna

18. jessica says:

that looks great. what a fabulous idea.

19. erica says:

I just did this with blue and green! it looks great!! Rather than magnet sheets I bought a 10ftx1inch roll of magnet that were stronger and thicker than the sheet and cut off a 2inch long piece for each leaf. Also i used craft foam instead of felt. love it.

20. sawokecik says:

it is really a lovely idea ..

21. Moe says:

I love it. I wish our fridge didn’t have so much stuff on it. You’ve inspired me to at least clean off some of the stuff on my fridge!

22. eileensideways says:

great idea for adding color to an apartment fridge!