chair love

it’s diy wednesday so i’m kicking things off with a fun reader project. sometimes it’s amazing what a little fabric can do- designer shannon lowry recovered a vintage chair in a bold black and white fabric from ikea and boom! it instantly looks fresh and fun. with cushions like these that have a simple shape it’s easy to sew a cover over the weekend and have a new chair on monday.

shannon also launched a new set sustainable, plantable (there are seeds in the cards!) of cards right here at etsy. thanks, shannon!

[stay tuned for a new diy project from our craft editors, lauren and derek of the curiosity shoppe, later this afternoon]

1. zee says:

A tiny matching kitten! Awww!

2. Pingback: chair love
  3. the kitten is just so cute it’s hard to look at the chair!

4. kathie says:

shannon’s cards are the coolest!

5. lottie says:

great fabric – and kitten!

6. Sarah says:

Just want to give a shout-out to Austinite Shannon (and Kathie who posted above). I love Shannon’s “cakes,” and she was really great in assisting me with a purchase. And I lust for Kathie’s kid clothes. Oh, yeah, and the chair is awesome. Thanks for posting this, Grace!

7. LaurenAlane says:

Any ideas for a how-to on recovering these exact cushions? I’m curious how they actually did the cutting and sewing of the new beautiful fabric. Looks great!

8. As much as I would love to take credit for sewing these cushions, I can’t. I took them to a local woman in Austin – Genie of Slipworks and had her do them. Because it is a thrift vintage chair it ended up being reasonable. I paid $45.00 for the chair and $80.00 for the covers. I wish I had the time to do everything. For now, I will have to stick with letterpress!

9. Bhavna says:

The chair,…and the kitten are just perfect! :-)

10. Lori says:

great timing — i’m just getting ready to cover the same style of chair. i seem to be seeing them — recovered — everywhere today! great inspiration.

11. Lisa says:

If any readers can post basic instructions for making covers for a chair like this, I’d be eternally grateful. My cat has adopted my version of the above chair as her new scratching post and I now need to recover the cushions, but don’t know how!

If not, does someone know of anyone in the Portland, OR area that can make them for me on the inexpensive side?

12. Lisa C. says:

I just bought a nice chair like this on craigslist and would also appreciate links/directions on how to recover cushions.