office makeover

d*s reader cassie sent over some fantastic photos of what must be the world’s coolest advertising agency. apparently the white walls and awful built-ins with imitation formica were killing the creative spirit so the agency decided that a make-over was in order. cassie’s bosses gave each employee a $300 allowance (some used additional funds of their own) plus a new desk and new chair to redo their cubicles. cassie said that at first they thought it might end up looking like a carnival, but they all were pleasantly surprised. “now we each truly have our own space. and it is “almost” as pleasant as coming home. certainly defines our creativity, which in fact is our job.”. i love this idea and the results are pretty impressive. you can click here for larger versions of these photos or scroll down to see some of the results. [thanks, cassie!]

1. heidi says:

what an amazing idea!!!!!! LOVE the results!

2. Another Shade of Grey says:

That is an awesome idea.

3. Anne A Wong says:

this is great! i especially like the green one… i hope more companies start following this model.

4. Anonymous says:

What a great boss-how fun!

I like the cubical with the orange wall the best.
    It’s bright and cheery, simple, and it’s personalized just enough with the framed photograph and the A’s on the wall. A really nice workspace.

I’m not so crazy about the chandelier or the curtains, too mini livingroom for me.

5. joy says:

that’s such a great way to encourage employees to enjoy their workspace (and their jobs) even more. A+ to the boss of that company!

6. Raven says:

I would be a much happier cube monkey if I could have it decorated!

7. kidshaus says:

That is one of the best ideas. I’ve worked in a creative field for 18+ years and have been through those moments when the team frustratingly asks “how can we make our environment more inspiring?” — no one ever thought of offering a budget to personalize individual spaces. love it!!

8. Anonymous says:

i hate to be negative, but this whole set-up is rather ugly. nothing seems to match and truth be told, it seems like they’re simply just trying too hard. those purple drapes are…yikes…

9. Jaime says:

wow what a great idea but what happens if you leave? haha and the new person gets stuck in your design??? does the new person get another $300 to redecorate?

10. Diana Coronado says:

Nice !! soo nice !!

11. Cassie says:

The purple drapes aren’t really, well… purple. They are actually a nice deep magenta color.

Jaime — each new employee does in fact get a $300 allowance to decorate, or they can keep the space as the previous person left it. Their choice. But fortunately, that has not been an issue, yet.

12. Raven says:

I told my boss about this. Sadly, he’s not going to take me up on the idea.

13. Anonymous says:

Though I work in an incredible office with airy, very neutral cubicals (that do not make me feel like I’m in a cube), I wish the company I worked for would give us a little cash to buy nice things for our desk that aren’t from the WB mason catalog. I would LOVE to have some beautiful container store magazine holders like I do at home, and some sort of shelf. Just those alone, would make my desk look so much better and end the messes that accumulate.

14. sandman_gr says:

These looks amazing! Apart from the first one with the zebra stuff and black chandeliers (a bit last year this one?) I would love to work in each of the offices pictured.

15. Laidback Chick says:

great idea to boost creativit in a creative enviornement. Kudos to that agency!!!