design idea book

i’m not usually a big fan of designer showhouses because i find they feel a little too styled or stuff for me (don’t get me started on the way they karate chop pillows). but i really enjoyed karen templer‘s new design ideas book (sunset books, 2007). the concept is to learn from design showhouses and apply their concepts to your real-life home. most of the book is a look at a wide selection of designer showhouses ranging from modern to traditional. they skew a bit more traditional than my personal style but i’ve been trying to be a bit more open minded lately and learn from classic design. karen wraps up the book by summarizing the tips that can be learned about color, flooring, paint, wall treatments, etc from these homes. some of the tips you might already be familiar with but i found it really helpful to have them all in one place. click here for more information and to pick up a copy online. [photo above by tria giovan]

[Photography by Jean Allsopp]

[Photography by Tria Giovan]

[Photography by Tria Giovan]

[Photography by Jean Allsopp]

1. designlove says:

design show houses are great. It’s nice to see designers work, it’s a form of art.

2. RowHouse says:

This is my kind of book… I’d really like to pick up a copy. Thank you for posting!

3. Lauren says:

Yeah! I hate karate chopped pillows

4. caroline says:

Karate chopped pillows – that made me laugh! I thought I was the only one who gets annoyed by that.

5. feli says:

ha ha! (i imagine this laugh sounding like nelson from the simpsons). one of the pillows in one of your pictures looks like it has had a karate chop attempted on it! perhaps by a very weak person…. only a slight crease remains ;)

6. Joanne says:

“Karate Chop” pillows – never heard that one before! what a great expression! But I do agree – why?
    I for one do enjoy browsing show house, can pick up some fab tips and its always good to see other people’s designs.