clare grill

for the last year or so i’ve been looking to invest in artwork (mainly paintings), but haven’t quite found the perfect fit yet. there are many artists i love but i still seem to be on the search for the perfect combination of texture and color. but thanks to d*s reader emily i may have found my perfect match. brooklyn based artist clare grill creates these stunning paintings using gauche and oils; her use of color is really spot on for me. i love the vivid splashes of hot pink, yellow and purple. clare’s mission statement says that she “juxtapose[s] structural and gestural marks, bold and neutral color, and varying surfaces to contain and protect painted areas [she] thinks look real in their unmediated directnessuses. [her] current work uses forms found both intuitively through my painting process, and from ephemeral and permanent structures found in nature, specifically camping tents and geological cross-sections, that reference this act of protection and containment.” i love the geological references and her extensive series of tent paintings. clare is currently showing at real art ways in new haven hartford, ct but you can click here to see more of her work and contact her online. [thanks, emily!]

1. Another Shade of Grey says:

It totally looks like you. :)

2. Kelly Lynn Jones says:

love these!

3. design*sponge says:

aren’t they beautiful? i just emailed clare to ask about possibly purchasing one. fingers crossed they’re in my budget. two of them would seriously make my room come together perfectly. i’m so excited…

4. zee says:

Oh that last one – swoooooon! Very sweet that she’s based outta BK too.

5. Anonymous says:

Since her work was just in a show curated by Robert Storr, they are probably going to be really expensive. But good luck!

6. emily & atticus! says:

hip hip hip hooray for clare and her sensational work

7. Bethany says:

The last painting of the mountain is “Rundle Mountain” in Banff Alberta, Canada. Both my husband and I lived there (and met in there!) and LOVED that mountain. This particular view can be found at the top of Tunnel Mountain (a small hike). My husband first told me I was beautiful while we sat there looking at this view.
    I’d love to make this painting mine… how?

8. Jess says:

I love the mountain painting, too. And now I’m kicking myself because I was in New Haven this past weekend (from Chicago) for the first time, looking for things to do! I could have seen these in person!

9. Deepa says:

blown away by the first painting. wow.

10. Leanne says:

Her show is at Real Art Ways, but that is located in Hartford, CT, not New Haven. ArtSpace is the name of the studio in New Haven. Just in case anyone is venturing out to visit …

11. Gordon R. Johnston says:

Love the ‘Mt.Rundle runs into Morris Louis’ painting. That’s an Alberta Icon (the Mountain, that is).
    I’ll never be able to look at that mountain agian without thinking of your painting with a smile.

Thank you.

Tent paintings are beautiful.

12. kate diago says:

i’m going to see these! they’re grrrreAt!

13. Nancy says:

these paintings are gorgeous. knot in my throat.