sale finds

yesterday i had a meeting near rockefeller center and the lure of an anthropologie sale around the corner was too much to resist. i confined myself to the home section and spent a good 45 minutes trying not to buy all of the cookbooks and colorful hooks they had. i found this colorful tray and thought, well, i’ve got to do something with it- it’s too pretty to pass up. so i plopped it in my bag (along with heidi‘s beautiful new cookbook!) and came home. when i got home my plan was to hang this on the wall and then i thought- wait, i could use this for the dish rack! i hate the ugly white plastic drying tray that came with our rack and thought, heck, this will be much prettier to look at. so i swapped one for the other and now i’m happy to have a bright pop of color in the corner. you can find similar trays at anthropologie online– i bought this version at the rock center shop.

1. jawcey says:

Pretty! Good thinking – it looks great :)

2. joy says:

grace, it looks so great..always love seeing the little touches and ideas you have..

3. Crostini says:

Thank you for a fabulous idea! Dish-drainer trays are such a pet peeve of mine. I’m inspired to find a tray to brighten my new kitchen (prob. won’t use my vintage Trotter ones though!…)

4. zee says:

Love the turquoise and apple green colour combination. I’ve just finished decorating our guest bedroom* in those colours and I could nearly do the whole house in the same scheme.

*By “decorating our guest bedroom” I mean hurriedly cleaning our ugly spare room and trying to tie it together using furnishings from other rooms..

5. Anonymous says:

that’s a great idea, i now have the perfect excuse to buy the melamine tray i’ve been wanting!

6. Robin says:

Oh wow – this is such a great idea. I am stealing it.

7. Sarah says:

This is so cute. I think you are slowly convincing me that not everything that is “special” needs to be used for something special. In fact, now you don’t have to rush so quickly to get your dishes dried and put away…they’ll look cute just sitting there, basking in the sun!

8. Jennifer says:

That is such a great idea. I’m always seeing trays I want but can never figure out what I’d use them for. Now I know!

9. love forever says:

whoops! i think we forgot to mark those down over at fifth ave! i had no idea they were on sale. ;)
    i might have to grab one too; those are the colors of my kitchen.

10. sosser says:

great solution! i want to try it, too. i would love to know how it holds up to all the wet…

11. kari beth says:

That looks wonderful! What a great idea!

12. peanut and planet says:

Sadly, those ugly white trays have something that your lovely tray doesn’t have – one side that doesn’t have a lip on it so it drains into the sink as well as a tilt to them for the same reason.

I guess you could mod the tray to tilt as well as remove one side so water doesn’t accumulate.

Otherwise, I love seeing something nice under the drainer. Someone should make cool dish drainer trays ….

13. frances says:

really smart idea!

14. design*sponge says:

after a day of doing 4 loads of dishes (i had some baking to do) the tray held up wonderfully.

obviously i need to tip the tray after i put away the dishes but it’s not hard. i pre-dry my dishes by running a dishtowel over them so there wasn’t a lot of water. but stil, no damage to the tray and very easy to tip. success!

15. sosser says:

thanks for the useage update. i’m going to try it with a marimekko tray i spotted recently. this is sure to make one chore more pleasant!

16. Amber says:

What a great idea!!

17. peanut and planet says:

Oooh, I’m glad it works because it looks so cool. I’m thinking of trying it out myself now – the only problem is that I don’t dry before putting dishes in the rack because I’m congenitally lazy.

I think I’ll superglue a plastic chopstick to one end to get the tilt and then see if I can dremel some drainage holes in the lower end of the tray.

18. Heidi says:

I was just in Anthropologie yesterday and had to stop myself from buying everything in the home clearance section. I can keep myself from regular priced things, but discounts! At Anthropologie! I’m in trouble.