d*s scholarship winners!

thousands of you voted (thank you!) and the results are in: we have our 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners of the first-ever d*s scholarship. i just wanted to thank all of the talented students who took the time to enter the scholarship contest and share their work with us. it was an honor to talk with you all and see such promising work. and thank you to everyone who donated or bought scholarship goods from the d*s shop- your generosity helped me raise enough money to fund our 1st and 2nd place award. a special thanks to greg at 2modern for offering to sponsor our third place award- 2modern donated $500 to the scholarship fund and i greatly appreciate their help and support of student designers. so, without further ado, the winners are…

first place: EMILY DOVE GROSS

our gig poster queen took the lead on wednesday night and held it through this morning. her work shows a keen eye for line and composition and i look forward to seeing what emily does with her scholarship award and her work in the future. emily will receive the top prize, a $2,000 scholarship to use as she sees fit for advancing her career in design. congratulations, emily!

second place: NATALIE WRIGHT

natalie wright’s wallpaper designs really resonated with readers and won her the second place spot in our contest. natalie will be receiving a $1,000 scholarship award. i’m extremely excited to see what she does next and hope that i’ll be able to cover her debut wallpaper line in the coming years. congratulations, natalie!

third place: HEIDI CHO

the ladies swept the awards this year and i was thrilled to have heidi among our winners. her furniture, product and textile designs were a big hit with voters and i’m really looking forward to watching her career grow after she graduates. heidi will be receiving a $500 award donated by 2modern.com. we wish you the best of luck, heidi. congratulations!

[thank you to 2modern.com for their generous donation to the d*s scholarship]

1. Anonymous says:

yay! my favorite two are 1st and 2nd placers. looking forward to seeing more of everyone’s work in the future.

lourdes

2. two trees says:

congrats to all the winners!

3. ** Terramia ** says:

Congratulations to the winners, and all the contestants! What talent!! Very exciting…

4. sfgirlbybay says:

Congratulations to the winners! And thanks to Grace to such a cool idea!

Yeah for art!

5. julia says:

What a nice thing you did Grace! I know these winners (and the rest of the designers) will really benefit not only from the money but from being featured on your blog. Congrats to the winners!

6. Anonymous says:

How many people ended up voting?? Just curiuos. how big a response you got.

The winners are all very talented. As were all of your contestants.

Congrats to all!!!!

7. Caroline Armijo says:

Yeah! Congratulations to all of you guys. It is really nice that you offered more than one award. Fabulous work!

8. flufflife says:

all the finalists are wonderfully creative and talented…but congrats to the top 3!! I loved them all but had to vote for my fellow floridian!! congrats, emily!!!

best wishes!

-Marisa
    Atlantic Beach, FL

9. Tina says:

Hooray! Emily was my 1st choice!!!
    I have to say that everyone involved is very talented-
    and it was tough to choose. I’m CERTAIN that they will all be successful in their endeavors.
    All the best!

10. Kelly Lynn Jones says:

congrats!! yay!!!!

11. Frida says:

Congrats to the winners!

Can I buy Emily Dove Gross poster somewhere?

12. bowie style says:

yay ! i voted for natalie, im so glad she did well (and heidi was my second choice).

13. Linda Merrill says:

Excellent choices on the winners! All the entrants were fabulous but I too thought Emily’s stood out in a big way. Hope to see her work for sale soon! Congrats to all!

14. alyson. says:

waahoo emily!

15. Aileen_g says:

hi there~
    you have such a lovely blog here!!!

and oh..
    congratulations to the winners!

16. Tracy says:

YAY! Emily was my first choice!! Congrats to her and the other winners :)

17. gem_stellar says:

As a designer and a curator I’m sad that Rebecca Pollack didn’t get more attention, to me she emobodies much of the dialogue taking place in contemporary design studios rather than that which is replicated on the covers of glossy magazines… it’s a shame not to see this honored by design*sponge readers, the winners just seemed so obvious and dare I say a little uninspired.

18. Anonymous says:

So, coffee cups are inspired?

Dan

19. Susan says:

congrats to the winners – maybe you could post a “where are they now” bit in a year – i’m sure everyone would be interested to see what they all do next!

20. Susan says:

…this is too weird, I had to share: one of the contestant’s collages had a picture in it that I took when I was in Beijing a couple of years ago – that was quite a shock to stumble across – Richard’s montage:
    my photo

21. Anonymous says:

natalie wrights’ bird wallpaper is exquisite. the birds are reminding me of a colouring book i had as a little girl. i can even feel myself holding the crayons.
    lovely,