sweet juniper

i am a hopeless sweet juniper addict. i’ve been following the lives of dutch, wood and juniper for over a year now and was thrilled when i caught a little glimpse into their home a few months ago. the threesome packed up and moved from san francisco to detroit and in the process mentioned that they lived in an apartment designed by mies van der rohe and shared a quick photo of their bedroom with a vintage case study bed. my design radar went off so i’ve been watching closely to see how things progressed with their new home. finally i got up the guts to ask if they’d be interested in sharing their home with us here and to my sheer delight- they were! so i’m thrilled to introduce you to the home of sweet juniper…just click here for more (full-sized) photos. [thanks dutch, wood and juniper!] here is an intro from dutch:

“We moved from San Francisco to Detroit about six months ago; we had been living in a 500-square-foot one-bedroom, and we moved into a 1500-square-foot 1960 townhouse designed by Mies van der Rohe where our mortgage is half what rent had been in San Francisco. The importance of Michigan often gets overlooked as midcentury modern becomes more and more trendy. Herman Miller, Steelcase, Haworth are still make modern furnishings here in Michigan. Grand Rapids and Holland were once filled with now-defunct furniture companies that made iconic designs by Paul McCobb and others. There is still an abundance of amazing furniture (at very reasonable prices) in the thrift stores and antique malls.

Detroit is where modernism was born. You can see the spot where Henry Ford built his first automobile. It’s now an old movie palace that has been turned into a parking lot. Just a few miles from downtown Detroit lies Cranbrook Academy of Art, where a man named Charles Eames used to get dressed up in a tuxedo to attend faculty cocktail parts with Elial Saarinen (who designed the entire school), smoking with Elial’s son Eero and Harry Bertoia, Gyo Obata, and flirting with Florence Knoll, eventually catching the eyes of a young teacher named Ray Kaiser. For sixty years the products those two designed together have been assembled by Dutch craftsmen across the state.

Eero designed many of his iconic buildings from Detroit, including GM’s breathtaking Technical Center in Warren. The world’s largest concentration of buildings designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe lies just steps from the heart of downtown Detroit, set in a beautifully-landscaped park that has become one of the most successful urban redevelopment projects in the country, despite its location in a city that has itself outlived its usefulness in the eyes of much of the world. Moving here, I really wanted to buy as many vintage furnishings that I could that were made (or designed) here in Michigan. The most important and interesting features of the Mies townhouses are the full walls of glass in every room. We are not designers or artists. I am just a stay at home dad.”

1. Hey neighbor, that is actually my front door in the photo. I moved in almost 4 years ago and still love the place and location.

2. Lizzy T says:

I just got sent over this blog. Love it! Big supporter of the Mies. Grew up there too. Glad that you are getting the word out on the great communities within the city. Thankyou.
    Lizzy T

3. Alan says:

Your apartment was designed by Gunnar Birkerts influenced by Mies van der Rohe.

4. jdg says:

sorry alan, that’s not true. birkerts designed 1300 lafayette. mies van der rohe designed the buildings across lafayette street.

5. Tricia says:

I believe this home was featured in dwell a while back? I remember reading about the area and the space! lovely.

1. grace says:

tricia

i think their neighbor’s house was in dwell, but i’ll check. the building they live in (a mies van der rohe complex) is amazing.

grace :)

6. Jen Baker says:

Is that a German Shorthaired Pointer I spy? I grew up with three of them. They’re the best! They certainly make it challenging to keep a home clean and hair-free, but they sure add to the love and happiness of any family.

7. Petaluna says:

I’ve lived in Detroit and now Ferndale, and I know this building, I was in one of the units when a friend’s friend had passed and willed him the apartment. What an amazing space, and I love what you’ve done with yours. From what I can recall, these are very coveted condos and rarely come up for sale. Is it still a co-op?

8. Rick says:

Amazing! It is like living inside an elementary school, except more expensive.

9. Sarah says:

I think I have a copy of Dwell that featured this building. Lovely.

10. Debra says:

I love the furnishing and really all of the decor everything is so fresh and what I like it doesn’t have too much stuff I like it.

11. Dating Sites says:

Very nice website design you have. Did you do it yourself?

12. Will says: