lisa solomon

it’s a week of lisas as sneak peek continues with artist lisa solomon. lisa’s home was every bit as beautiful as i thought it would be- what follows is a description of her space in her own words. [click here for full sized photos of lisa’s home]

“First I feel like I should clarify that I have a split design sensibility [I’m a libra after-all]. Part of me would LOVE to live in a very clean modern perfectly stylized house. But in reality – we have pets [2 dogs and 2 cats] and we collect lots and lots of stuff…. And I also love peeling paint and things with history and character… So our house design sense has more of a lived in, vintage inspired, long hard collected look….. I dream of someone asking me to help them put a space together from scratch…. It’d be so fun to try out different sensibilities

I thought I should start with the living room. Two walls are chocolate brown…. On the right – funky found metal cart – clockwise the art around the cart: the baby is kimberly austin, then alex ambrose, genevieve walsh. Red painting : aurora robson, and some cool lou reed flexidisc that someone gave us. On the left– an old TV cabinet that we put our new TV in… Our treasured TV lamp kitties, old empty bowling pin booze bottle, vintage gun [not loaded] and a whole sheet of wacky packs [does anyone remember those?] framed.

Continuing in our living room: on right – found salvage mantle… And things that match in color/age/style….On left – great mission style chair from my father in-law, gorgeous pillow [with an L for me!] by lisa congdon, big painting by my friend and mentor katherine sherwood, small piece by chris johanson, repro vintage fan courtesy of restoration hardware, flea market find pedestal lamp, 2 small footstools [I have a thing for all items mini] and yes… The orange fringe pillow is an ikea special of course!

This is our dining room – I love our fake grass placemats [another gift]. I pretty much leave them out all the time to giggle. My husband collects and plays mostly vinyl and our record player is in the dining room [in an old pie case – the green piece on the edge of the photo above. There’s the current rotation [he stores over 2000 records upstairs]. Painting is an old one by me… Drawing of our dog is my husbands. There’s also my basket full of softies…From wendy crabb, hammer and daisy, and jess hutch, as well as my nara ashtry by cereal art – a recent and well loved gift! I also like to set up little still lives [or vignettes as lisa c so aptly put it] this sits in a nook in a hallway. So you are probably starting to notice – I like to match things by color. There are 2 adorable bird cups there by rori zendack- everything else is found, given, and/or painted to match.

And lastly our bedroom. yes – we watch that TV – and yes – it’s black and white – and yes – we listen to records in here too! can you tell I have a thing for old luggage? On the left of the wardrobe is a framed art quilt by amy karol, the cute green felt purse is by gwen/bugheart – she also supplied the fabulous green luggage. I don’t know why, but I just love the old window pane. Even that it’s broken…. Above the red chair is the newest edition to my art collection a piece by alyson fox, next to the bed the shoes are by kimberly austin again, and above the bed is the vintage czech bead headress I wore for my wedding…..In putting these pictures together I really realized how lucky I am to be surrounded by art and things that I love – made by people I love and admire. They all make me feel like I’m home. And that is a very lucky feeling. Hope you enjoyed the peek! Lisa”

1. bluebird says:

i’ve really enjoyed following this series. i feel like these are the homes you never get to see in magazines, but they are what i aspire to. so inspiring and comforting. thanks.

2. poppy says:

i agree with bluebird, it seems the spaces you see in magazines are too staged and unobtainable in most cases. love lisa’s space, it’s just as i would’ve imagined too, beautiful, lived-in, art-filled and full of collectibles!

3. Michele says:

Adorable room! Would you mind doing me a favor and adding some suggestions to the decorating I am currently working on (my bedroom)? I’ve recently added two blog posts regarding the decor… and would appreciate your help! Thanks!

4. Abigail says:

I so love seeing inside Lisa’s home…it is beautifully warm and ecclectic. Just as a *home* should be I think….

as with her art, I think Lisa has a really fantastic eye for putting things together – and I love seeing how this talent also translates into her living space too….f-a-b :)

5. Laura says:

Lisa’s home is really warm and welcoming. I’m a fellow libra with split personality design tastes, so this is really inspiring to me.

6. Emily says:

Gorgeous and lived-in and homey and comfy. I love this series too. The bedroom is my favorite.

7. alyssa says:

I wish I could morph into one of Lisa’s kitty cats and live among all those beeeautiful things. The dining room and bedroom would be my favorite places for lounging and sleeping.

8. Anonymous says:

i love how warm and ecletic her home is. can you proved the color for the chocolate brown in the living room. thanks!

9. Anonymous says:

This home looks comfortable and beautiful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

10. Joanne says:

Beee-yoootiful! Modern, vintage, simple, warm, and cosy! Fantastic space, well filled with lovely art and accessories, a great range of styles that seem to work very well. Thanks for sharing!

11. Anonymous says:

I love the new-old TV idea. Great case, but if you put a black mask around the screen it would be awesome.

12. cruststation says:

Love the unique character of the decor, very beautiful. Adore the pictures on the wall and the gorgeous furniture in the dining area (I’m drooling over the grass placemats)!

13. blair says:

there’s so many great ideas in Lisa’s place! just beautiful, as I knew it would be. I love that she is surrounded by lovely art made by friends.

14. gracia says:

Thanks for the tour… love it all!

15. UNIFORM Studio says:

This seems so lisa -it’s modern in a quirky way. I really love it, and I’m really enjoying this series.

16. Jess says:

I’d love to know where the grass placemats came from. I’m green with envy :)

17. abby says:

how did i miss this?
    what fun and thanks for sharing, lisa!

18. Verbow says:

Would love to know where you found the fabulous spread for the bed – So cozy!