lisa de john*

today’s installation of sneak peek belongs to the beautiful home of artist lisa de john. lisa’s sense of color and pattern shine through from her work to her home and it was a thrill to see such a whimsical mural on her living room wall. here is a description in lisa’s own words:

“Here are shots of our living room and the dining room. The living room was really dead feeling when we first moved in and we slowly added color and teak furniture to brighten and warm it up. I live with my fiancee Scott Patt, who is also an artist and the Creative Director of footwear for Converse. He had the idea to do the vinyl squirrel by the fireplace. Most of his art work is large
scale and he thought one of his colorful creations would be really fun there. I love it! We found the Jens Quistgaard nesting tables, coffee table and credenza at Reside Modern in Cambridge. They have amazing new pieces every time we visit, it is by far my favorite place to shop for furniture. The sofa is from DWR and I made the curtains from a wool felt IKEA fabric, they make the most beautiful pattern of light when the sun shines through them. I also made the throw pillows for the sofa. The moose head was a gift but it came from Urban Outfitters. All of the art work in our home is made by us or our wonderful friends. From Reside we’ve also been collecting random dining chairs for our make shift dining/school table. We got the cherry Dot pendant light from Lampa and we love its warm glow at dinner time. The flower painting in the dining room will be available in a card set through teNeues very soon so I will keep you posted! The portrait of Scott is a photograph I took and then our friend Mark Smith created the art work. If you know anything about the clock, that would be wonderful. I think it might be a Nelson, but we aren’t sure, both the clock and the butterfly chairs were original from Scott’s grandparents. Oh! And the painting on the mantle is by AmyRuppel.

*[for full sized pics of lisa’s house click here]

1. Anonymous says:

So pretty. Love the little deer!

Trish :)

2. d says:

Interesting. That squirrel mural scares me. *shudders*

3. anna k. says:

Love the little squirrel in the bottom picture.

Anna

4. Anonymous says:

That dining room looks so peaceful :)

5. star says:

all those paintings on the wall are de-lish

*star*

6. Anonymous says:

Keep em Comin” :-)

Mariette

7. Another Shade of Grey says:

Are your dining room chairs mix and match? If so, love that idea. You have just maybe, possibly, finally solved my dilemma for choosing dining room chairs. Thanks!

8. meg says:

i like the giant squirrel. it brings a sense of humor to the space. :)

9. casapinka says:

I loved the wall squirrel and the house is so much fun. Superduper post – can’t wait to read more of Sneak Peek.

10. Scotchic says:

Looking at these images gave me an idea – have you ever considered doing a feature on peoples’ bulletin boards in their offices/studios? Or perhaps you have done that and I missed it. I think that you can learn alot about a persons creative inspirations by their bulletin boards. What do you think?

11. Holly D. says:

I love this! The squirrel is so cool :-)

Holly

12. Anonymous says:

I think mixing dining chairs with different styles is a great idea too but has to be done right. You’re using very classy, classic mid century chairs so in a way, they are in the same style even though they are different chairs.

13. Elin says:

Good, i love this, it so not swedish in a reafing non-anxous way of decorating your home! I’d wish that more people would live like this! elin

14. Anonymous says:

That giant squirrel is funny, it looks like it’s just about to eat that lamp in front of it… =D

I like these pictures, this home has a lot of personality in it. Great!

-Suvi-

15. Michael says:

Thanks for your nice post!

16. nancy says:

Hi Lisa,
    I worked the Converse fashion show in November, in Boston. A sm world..I have just launched my web sight of art and commerce give it a look, thanks.
    nancy hart

17. William Wolchock says:

Nice Pace! We have a jens Quitgaard Nesting Table Set At Home, Does yours have any Manufacture’s Mark?

great tables huh?