k studio

i’m a little sluggish this morning (i had dinner at top chef alum harold dieterle‘s old restaurant, the harrison) so i thought i’d start with a sneak peek into the home of k studio designer, shelly klein. i heard from several readers that she had a beautiful home and well, they were right. here are photos of shelly’s home and a description in her own words below. click here for additional, full sized (with extra commentary) photos of shelly’s home.

The photo above is my sewing studio: I made a quilty slipcover for an Eames Sofa Compact. My girl “Lillian” is hanging out in her favorite spot. K studio bird pillow with a pillow I made from Girard fabric. Cool lamp from CB2.

This is the kitchen: I put a comfy chair where a little breakfast table should be. I like to drink my coffee here every morning.

The bedroom: This is my beloved cat “Ben” in his favorite spot. My collection of very small art pieces hangs above the nightstand. K studio “everyday people” pillow in white is behind Ben.

The living room: The Eames Surfboard table was my very first major furniture purchase, I still love it and never get sick of it. The lovely painting is by a local artist Beth Fowler, I bought it recently and am in love with it. My sofa is just an old sofa that I fashioned a quilty slipcover for (I’m really into quilted things!). Mobile by Jan at Moonlilly. And of course a potted geranium, my favorite flower.

This is from my dining room: On the buffet- 2 prints by local artist Aron Lowe, bird sculpture by Stephanie Adams of Madison, WI, floral line drawing by me, and pitchers by Amy Adams at Perch.

1. michelle says:

Oh how beautiful, the paint color in the dining room is killer! Her white furniture looks so crisp and not shabby at all. Thanks for the great sneak peeks into these homes :)

2. mav says:

love all the whites! great sneak peeks this week g. thanks.

3. Anonymous says:

This is AMAZING. I want to live here RIGHT NOW.

Amanda

4. Anonymous says:

It is a lovely place. Can anyone tell where the nice white chairs in the living room came from?

5. Anonymous says:

Thanks, Grace. I love all the sneak peeks, and this one is bright and cheery and perfectly edited. (And Ben and Lillian are so lovely!) Wonder if you have any idea about the nightstand? It’s very interesting and looks super useful if you have lots of books etc…

6. Diana says:

Shelly’s home is gorgeous… I’d really like to know her secret for keeping white furniture white, and hair-free, with two pets! (Does she vacuum every day, cuz I feel like I have to, with 3 cats!)

7. Lesterhead says:

LOVE that chair in the kitchen for morning coffee, and the blackboard behind it.

8. Shelly @ kstudio says:

Thanks for the nice compliments everyone!

White chairs in the living room are from INHOUSE.

Nightstand is from a company called Woody which I don’t think is around anymore.

Animal hair- Yes, it’s a problem. Almost everything is slipcovered and therefore washable but I do vacuum alot : ).

9. Maki says:

I ADORE this peek! I wish I could have a home so lovely. The windows are amazing.

Question: where is the white wine bottle holder from? I’ve been looking for something similar.

10. kyk says:

oooooooo,aaaaaaaaa, i love this space! crisp, clean, and inspiring…although i’m afraid i’d destroy all of the lovely white fabrics in no time.
    thanks grace, this has been a great series and i’d really enjoy continiuing to see it tossed in here and there with your other findings!

11. Anonymous says:

I would love to know about the black board too. Was this made or purchased?

12. lisa says:

so clean and lovely! thanks for sharing with us. i wish i could just whip up a slipcover like that!

13. Anonymous says:

what a beutiful home. i love the wood on white kitchen cabinet doors. you seem to have found the perfect color of grey paint in your kitchen. would you mind sharing the piant color?

thanks!

14. natalie says:

love! really inspiring me to decorate in whites

15. shelly @ k studio says:

Wine rack is Pure Design from several years ago. I’m not sure if it’s still available.

Blackboard- I made it. I painted over an old painting from college with blackboard paint.

Kitchen paint color: It’s a Ralph Lauren color- I’m thinking- I can’t remember the name. I’ll post it if it comes to me.

16. platinum blonde says:

what an amazing space! i don’t know how i would keep it clean with my crazy beagle…but i want every single thing: i’m sooo in love with the quilted slip cover on the couch, the art, the accents, the chair in the kitchen… the envy is too much, i can’t stand it!

17. Loretta says:

Wow, beautiful. Lillian is a rat terrier, correct? I have a rat terrier as well :) Both Lillian and Ben are cute as can be. I’m impressed with all the whites, wow, I don’t think white would survive my 4 boys though LOL Slip covering is a huge help!

18. sfgirlbybay says:

i l-o-v-e this home. it makes me want to throw out all my bright pillows and accessories and try to capture this simple and elegant zen-like place. so nice!

19. notsocrafty.com says:

Wow, the house is so bright and airy. I love it.

20. alice says:

my favorite room is your living room. i love your quilted sofa. your place is very bright and inviting. =)

21. Anonymous says:

Grace–

Your readers have exceptional eyes for detail! I had to look at this pictures many times to go back and find all the things pointed out in the comments!!!

Of course my favorites of all are the animals and the freedom they have in the house!

And I’ve realized and decided that once I get rid of the clutter and have more fitted slipcovers, my home may look as nice and personal as these beautiful homes you are featuring.

Your #1 Fan

22. Porcelain says:

i love this home! it’s just gorgeous!!!!

23. Anonymous says:

just wondering what city do you live in, because I need to move there now, to beat a serious case of the winter duldrums.
    Thanks!
    Jen

24. Christina says:

A while ago, I spent an early morning sipping on some coffee and reading this post. Now that I look at it again I realize what an inspiration it has been because I have really been craving white walls and delicate pieces! I’m moving into a new apartment this weekend and I’m excited to decorate! Thank you so much for these amazing photos.

25. Melanie says:

Just lovely! These are the colors I love living with in a home. Where on earth did you get that blue lamp? I am lokking for a blue lamp. No luck yet.

26. Curt says:

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful bride who shares such a wonderful home with me. I still have to pinch myself sometimes.

27. Eva says:

oooh what a lovely place!