eames chair project

yesterday’s art project seemed like such a fun idea that i was thrilled to add a project from reader, chris kerrigan. we spoke after my eames chair post and he mentioned that he and his wife had taken on a project of refinishing and repainting a series of eames armchairs. they decided to create unique patterns for each piece and i thought they might be of interest. what follows is the project in chris’ words- we’ll have more images and chair designs here at d*s as they finish them. [thanks, chris!]

“This chair is one result of our design collaboration called c&c projects. We’re big on new crafts, DIY design, and PROCESS (our work tends to be labor intensive). In just about anything we do, we try to find a way to reference a combination Cynthia’s design heritage (Indonesian) and my own (american). A while ago we found a pile of dilapidated Eames chairs that were saved from a auditorium fire and knew we had to do something more than just recondition them. In this case we decided to re-work a traditional indonesian Batik pattern and apply it to the chair.

• we started by pulling off the fabric and foam and got it down to the to the glue
  • we used acetone, a rag, and LOTS of elbow grease to get the glue off and
    get it down to the bare fiberglass
  • most upholstered eames shells have metal threaded hardware embedded in the fiberglass. this is where the legs screw into the chair. the problem is that it leaves holes in the seat
  • we chose to take out the metal pieces and replace them with shock mounts (used on the non-upholstered chairs). *readers can contact me about this process and where to get mounts*
  • we used an oil based metallic copper enamel to paint the pattern
  • last step is to spray the chair with several coats of high gloss
    indoor/ outdoor clear enamel. (don’t use varnish because it yellows
    over time)

I’d say 3-4 days will work with dry time. If anyone wants more info, they can get a hold us through our website: candcprojects.com

1. Another Shade of Grey says:

Wow. Great idea. Very kewl. Now I just need a chair!!!!!!!!

2. Anonymous says:

Gorgeous! Great idea for a rehab project.

Carlie

3. Anonymous says:

I love that pattern on the white. Metallics look so modern on Eames designs.

M.

4. Andi says:

Amazing and lovely!! Wish I had some old furniture about now…

5. populuxebooks says:

Very nice, reminds me of the chair Ray Eames painted back in the day. You can see a photo in the book Eames Pioneers of Midcentury Modernism.

6. none says:

popluxebooks– I hate it when people put links just to promote themseleves or their product. I knew before I clicked over that that’s what this was. That chair bears no resemblance other than the fact that it was painted. I sure won’t be buying any of your books ever.

7. JBraaten says:

Who are these smart people?!!!!

8. Jennifer says:

I like the chair. I like the design, the fact that it’s metallic. I don’t care if someone’s selling something. The point of blog (including mine!) is to let everyone share the fun.

Now, my idea is to decoupage the Eames chair with pix from your favorite graphic novel. Cover it with clear enamel!

9. Anonymous says:

I am interested in purchasing this chair for my nursery room. I really love the line of this piece. Does anyone know if this chair is comfortable for feeding a baby ?

10. Anonymous says:

anonymous – it really depends on your size. i am medium height to tall and thin and i find this chair to be too small for me.

11. ** Terramia ** says:

What a fab idea! Inspiring… and looks like loads of fun!

12. Chris says:

Populuxebooks’ books connection was very relevant. We were referencing the Saul Steinberg chair too. One thing I didn’t mention was that this chair was given as a wedding/ baby shower gift to my brother in law and his wife. There are other chairs in the works. This is just the first in the series. We’re actually working on others with the batik pattern and some that are upholstered. I like the decoupage idea!

13. Chris says:

Oh, and thanks for the great comments!

14. Lay says:

your blog is very interesting… i am currently doing pattern design now, and i’m definitely inspired by what was put up. keep it up!!!

15. Anonymous says:

Eames chairs are very comfortable and a great addition to a nursery but there is no head support if you want to sleep.