textiles in design

claire coles 3

this is a movement i’ve been seeing for months now (and saw the first inklings of years ago), but just now gathered enough samples to fully illustrate (i think it’s important to give examples of a trend rather than just announce one willy-nilly). textiles have always been popular in the design world but never have they been more integrated into the product design world than in the last few months (or even the last year). starting with hella jongerius’s embroidered tablecloth design of 2000, designers have started to investigate methods of integrating textiles and, most recently stitching, into ceramics, furniture, lighting and tableware. perhaps not the most functional method of detailing, this stitch+furniture marriage has been a stunning one to observe as designers across the globe test out their own unique versions. what i love most is the “hand-made” feel it gives to objects. so here is a collection of objects designed with stitching and textiles in mind, enjoy![stitchwork products above by designer claire coles]

[textile-detail chair from free people (via oh joy!), textile wrapped wire lamps by jed crystal, bracelet by hella jongerius, chair by tord boontje and woven chair back by chrissy angliker]

spring spruce up

[ikea stool by d*s spring spruce up winner]

reddish 6

[table, chair and breadboard all embroidered with thread by design studio reddish. via kristina at three layer cake]

cai lighting

[crochet covered lighting by cai lighting at icff]

16_r1_c1

[embroidered tablecloth/plate by hella jongerius, woven mat by charlotte lancelot, textile covered throw/stool by tazana design at icff, bovist embroidered floor cushion by hella jongerius for vitra]

1. joy says:

grace, this is absolutely my favorite trend lately. i hope it doesn’t go into overkill like the graphic lace stuff which used to be a favorite of mine back in the day. love all your samples here…it really shows the range of ideas that have been explored!

2. Anonymous says:

I suggest also Panier Percé by Industreal http://www.flickr.com/photos/industreal/119260428/ Lorenzo

3. Kimberly Lewis says:

I have been an avid reader of your blog for quite some time now. I am a jr industrial design major at Pratt Institute. I have been really busy the past few weeks and haven’t had time to read my blogs so am catching up tonight and saw this and could not believe my eyes. I found this particulary interesting because I am basing my first furniture studio project entirely on mini trend that you speak of! The funny part is that I had to compile a design statement 3 weeks ago and ended up using most of the same photos and ideas that you talk about here to present to my class. Great minds think alike! I am still in the process of designing my piece but I can tell you that it definetly incorporates the use of textiles and weaving. I will definetly be submitting a photo to you after I finished and will be checking back often to see and read more about this upcoming trend in the industry!

4. design*sponge says:

thanks kim, please do! i’d love to see it :)

d*s

5. Anonymous says:

All these pieces are so nice! I absolutely love how these artists/designers use textiles to create something modern and really good looking. I think it is very hard to use fabric or knit-ware etc. to make something that even people who hate anything crafty can enjoy and admire. I have been a fan of Hella Jongerius for a while, but will also check out the work of the other designers you have posted.

6. viola says:

All the mini trends are saying to me we are back in the 1970s.

7. lorna syson says:

I love textiles in design!
    I am a new graduate textile designer trying to get my work out there and into shops and trends like these are just perfect! they help people understand the conecpt that textiles can be art as well as functional pieces.
    I think we really need a promotion of all things beautifully made and a revival of old and new to keep textiles alive

8. edward says:

What a great article. I found this lovely trend video from heimtextil. Such a stylish presentation, nice to see some imagination in the presentation of the trends… and i’m glad sobriety’s on trend :)