help: curtain dilemma!

carrie curtains

i’m a bonafide sex & the city fanatic. i find myself tuning in to hbo on demand just to catch glimpses of carrie’s apartment and the little details of its design. i’ve searched every inch of the hbo site but can’t figure out who makes these beautiful curtains she has above her desk (or who makes the fabric). does anyone have any ideas? or where i could find similar medallion style fabric with the same color palette? these are sort of pink and slate grey/mauve. i want them in my bedroom so, so badly but just can’t seem to find them. i emailed the set designers but no luck yet…any help would be greatly appreciated! xo, d*s

[UPDATE: a d*s reader found it! reka from finland says “it’s a Marimekko fabric, designed by Maija Isola in the 60’s called Tantsu!” and i think she’s right. hooray! now for the hunt…]

1. Anonymous says:

I LOVE Carrie’s apartment! I hope someone knows about these curtains because I want them now, too. That and Carrie’s job!

Meko

2. Anonymous says:

I wish this show was still on. I miss Charlotte and her preppyness. And Harry, what a sweetheart.

*Calla*

3. k. cooper says:

hi grace!

it looks to my eye like a marimekko pattern….maybe punapippuri (here it is in blue: http://store.txtlart.com/puaq.html)?

good luck!

4. design*sponge says:

thanks kelly! it does look really similar :)

d*s

5. jordan says:

That’s so funny. I always notice those curtains.

6. design*sponge says:

aren’t they the best? i’m always trying to find them. the marimekko is similar but needs to be a bit more “medallion” like and with a pink colorway. i really love the subtle pink. i’m sure ac will LOVE it too. ;)

d*s

7. lsaspacey says:

Try this Reprodepot link here http://www.reprodepot.com/barkcloth.html
    These are their barkcloth prints, they have one called Shelter in Neopolitan that sounds similar to what you described. However, on my monitor the colors look more like Mondo in Cherry, my favorite.

Good luck!

8. Another Shade of Grey says:

I’ve never seen Sex & the City and I can’t quite make out this picture, but Osborne & Little have a sort of medallion fabric here, in the blue. Don’t know if it comes in your color palette. Harlequin, out of the UK, also has a sort of medallion fabric in their Coast collection, but again, not sure if it comes in your colors.

9. Brooke says:

What a kiwinkidink. I was watching a rerun the other day and noticed those curtains! I swear I saw that Merimekko inspired fabric sold by the yard at Ikea a few seasons ago….

10. Jennicakes says:

Ikea used to sell similar fabric by the yard.

11. grumpygirl says:

those curtains always made me think of oreos.

i miss her apartment!

12. DesignerASC says:

Are we sure it’s Tansu? Because looking at that pattern they aren’t circles like in Carrie’s apartment. Their smashed circles. I think the pattern is move likely Kivet or Pienet Kivet but I can’t seem to find it in that color way. Anyone else have any luck hunting for it?

13. design*sponge says:

yup, it’s tantsu, i found this later:

also, her curtains are sort of folded the way they hang so they look like full circles.

14. DesignerASC says:

So in her apartment they hung them with the pattern horizontal? I can just barley see any green in there. I am going to have to watch an episode tonight and check to see for sure!

15. design*sponge says:

yup. if you watch an episode you’ll see. and marimekko confirmed to me that their set designer ordered that fabric, so i promise- that’s it ;)

d*s

16. poppy says:

wow! hooray!

17. Anonymous says:

I see that they sell the fabric on the website… but how would you make this into curtains? Anyone have any luck with this craft yet? :-)

18. design*sponge says:

i took it to a fabric store and they did it in a few weeks :)

d*s

19. Anonymous says:

I am looking for drapes for my place, and I always noticed those drapes on the show. What luck!!! WOW!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW! DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHERE I COULD GET THE FLOOR LAMP IN HER LIVING ROOM OR THE PARFUM POSTER IN HER ENTRANCE WAY? THANKS!!

20. Anonymous says:

I am looking for the bluish- purple rug in Carrie’s living room. Does anyone know where I could find it, or something similar?