before + after

d*s reader sylvie passed along a very inspirational little home makeover i thought you guys would like. sylvie made over her living room by giving her furniture and walls a little facelift. she even provided little notes in her flickr set on each picture to tell you paint colors and stores where she found products. click here for the full photo set. great work, sylvie!

1. Rose says:

Congratulation on making domino magazine! :)

2. design*sponge says:

oh! was sylie in domino??

congrats sylvie!

3. maggie says:

I think Rose was just being either fecetious or complementary – hard to tell tone in comments. I think what she meant was that what Sylvie did looks like it could be in Domino magazine.
    I think she did a great job. I especially love the new paint on the coffee table and the fresh floral fabrics. I feel like I want to come over for tea!

4. style court says:

Beautiful! Love it Sylvie!

5. Vajra says:

Love this room. Want Slyvie to take me shopping.

6. Sylvie says:

Wow! First of all, Merci Beaucoup to Grace for sharing ( where’s the “big warm hug” button on the keyboard?). I am waiting for Domino to call on me and will give free design advice to anyone who wants to encourage them!

And please, everyone come over for tea!

7. Arin says:

Can you tell us more about that little cube table with the alphabet on it?

8. katie says:

Beautiful job! I’m so impressed with all of your thrift store finds and improvements!!!

9. Sylvie says:

Isn’t that cube amazing. It seems to be hand-carved wood. It’s hard to tell through the paint. It’s hollow and has a heavy resin base. The signature carved into it says, “alpha sculp(t), Sheldon Rose, c1968”.

10. vespabelle says:

I love it. Very warm and inviting. Nice use of thrift store chic!

11. Anonymous says:

very cute decorating job.

12. Anonymous says:

>:o I saw that chest of drawers!! Maybe. I’ve seen alot of good roadside furniture lately. I myself found a lovely BRIGHT royal blue velvet, Victorian-looking, occasional chair on East Cliff a week or so ago! Yaaay Santa Cruz!! (lol..)

13. susan says:

this is why i love reading your blog! what a great real life story/makeover/dyi! very creative and cute…

14. IMEDAGOZE says:

that’s one GREAT makeover!! love the new look.

15. Sylvie says:

Hey Anonymous! I found that chest of drawers on Delaware Ave., on the Westside about 2 and a half years ago. You should see the castaways on the sidewalks of Paris. I could retire on those treasures!
    Thank you all for the lovely comments.

16. Anonymous says:

did you make the fabric covered canvas over the couch yourself? is it padded at all? it’s gorgeous!

17. Sylvie says:

Yes, I made it myself. It was a shoji screen that someone was throwing away. I covered it with batting and a heavy cotton crewel shower curtain, on sale for $19 at Linen n’ Things.
    Thank you kindly for the compliment!

18. Philip says:

I am responding to Sylvie’s comment on May 17, 2006. I have the same alphasculp cube by Sheldon Rose. I can’t find any info on the artist or the cube. Please let me know if Sylvie has more info. I would greatly appreciate it.
    Sylvie said:
    May 17th, 2006 – 11:19 am
    Isn’t that cube amazing. It seems to be hand-carved wood. It’s hard to tell through the paint. It’s hollow and has a heavy resin base. The signature carved into it says, “alpha sculp(t), Sheldon Rose, c1968″.