kattbank!

d*s reader augusta was kind enough to give d*s a little heads up on the kattbank– a design that literally made me grab ac and say, “look! look! we need this!”. kattbank is a new furniture piece designed especially for cat owners and the pets they love. this chic, modern bench was created by the portland-based design firm compressed pattern. in a nutshell, kattbank is a sleek modern bench that conceals your cats litterbox under a stylish, yet functional, facade. if you have a cat, you know how tough it can be to hide the litterbox, but make sure the cats still have access to it- the clever thing about the kattbank is that it has a little cut out for cats to walk in, do their business, and walk out. changing is a breeze and the bench even comes in a number of colors and finishes to match your modern decor.

compressed pattern is also raising awareness of modern design solutions for living with cats through a juried design invitational in partnership with the design within reach portland studio and the oregon humane society. the exhibit, cat revolution, will be on display from june 21-22 at dwr to benefit the ohs. kattbank comes in 14 different lacquer finishes and four different wood veneer options for prices ranging from $1750 to $2200. click here for more info [thanks, augusta!]

[my internet connection is screwy today so if i’m gone it’s because time warner has mucked things up again. hope to be back soon! xo, d*s]

1. Style Editor says:

Genius. Although a tad pricey. Maybe I should find myself a big strong man who knows a thing or two about wood working and have him make me one.

2. joy says:

wow. that is great! we have an extra bathroom which we now use at the “cat bathroom” we’ve installed a little kitty door so they just have to walk through that. it’s great and no one even knows about it. but training them to go through the door was hilarious. we came to realize one of our cats might be retarded but i would be scared to if someone tried to force me through some little doorway and i didn’t know what was on the other side. they all picked it up within a couple days and all is well. that bench is great…

3. Anonymous says:

This is adorable! I actually bought the Litter Robot at the end of last year (http://www.litter-robot.com/default.aspx?ac=1) and it was pricey as well but has seriously changed our lives. No more scooping!!

4. Anonymous says:

does that mean that people might sit down and smell something weird and wonder what on earth…?!?!

5. Steven DL says:

Cool, I love the simple (no-smell-in-the-room) venting system. Looks amazing!

6. Steven DL says:

Nice simple side-venting system (no funny smell in the room). This is amazing!

7. Summer says:

That’s great, but SO expensive… I have the Purrfect Privy in white acrylic and it’s the same concept but not as spiffy and not as pricey… but the important thing is nobody knows it’s a litter box!

8. Anonymous says:

beautiful piece of furniture! looks like a lot of thought went into the design….i love all these designs for animals!!

9. Anonymous says:

Great idea… and cute! But: LOL: There’s NO WAY I’d put that in a living room, the vents don’t have any sort of filter system, they’re just holes to let air in… and the smell out. But it would be nice for a garage or laundry room… If it wasn’t priced for the millionaire cat owner, that is! LOL….

10. Anonymous says:

I actually own a kattbank and I love it! It sits in my living room and the vents do work very well. I like the comment from the previous blogger….do you own one? It is not for everyone; however it has been a big lifesaver for me and my home and the price was every bit worth it. Keep up the great work!

11. hiram says:

Two grand for a litter box? I just cannot imagine this.

12. design*sponge says:

just to clarify this is not just a litterbox. ac and i talked about this last night and while yes, it’s a bit pricey, i think if i had just written about it as a bench made of quality woods and lacquer a lot of you wouldn’t be quite so put out about the price. think of this as a quality modern bench that happens to serve dual purposes. i’ve written about a dozen or so benches that cost this much and hey, this one serves an extra purpose. but it’s by no means just a litterbox.

d*s