Last week Sabrina introduced us to her new puppy, Piper, and this week I couldn’t resist taking the opportunity to do the same. Julia and I had been thinking about adopting another dog (Hope has been a little lonely upstate) for a while, but we weren’t quite ready to upset the delicate balance we had between Hope and our cat, Turk. So when we heard from Chrissy Beckles, who runs the rescue group who gave us Hope, about fostering, we said yes. Chrissy had an adorable little puppy, Winky, who needed somewhere to stay until she found a good home and we excitedly welcomed her last Sunday. We both fell in love with her the first moment we met her, but it took a few days to figure out if we could create the same balance we had with just two pets. Thankfully, with a little work, lots of playtime and a new cat tree for Turk, our family has found its new — improved — balance, and a new member.
Yesterday we officially adopted Winky and while we’re technically “foster failures,” we couldn’t feel happier. Winky is now one of us and she fills our home with so much energy, excitement and happiness. She’s completely enamored of Hope (which Hope both loves and hates at times) and the two of them play nonstop throughout the day. It’s exactly what we hoped for and reminded me yet again just how wonderful it can be to bring animals into your family. So, meet our second official D*S pup, Winky the Sato! She’s about 4.5 months old now and we think she’s a Catahoula mix, but we’re never 100% sure with rescues. All we know is she fills our house with 1,000% more love, so we’re so grateful. If anyone out there reading is considering adopting or fostering, we’re such big fans of The Sato Project (and all great rescue groups), so if you’re interested in finding a new furry friend for your home, click here to check out and help. We’re taking the pups out for a long walk today, so until Monday, here’s wishing you all a great weekend. xo, grace
- Lake Michigan is so clear you can see old shipwrecks from above — these photos are stunning!
- I’m really excited (and hopeful) to see this documentary on the Letterpress community on Kickstarter.
- Droog design’s new collection is AWESOME: glow-in-the-dark nails + smiling screws.
- I LOVE this piece on OhJoy about framing vintage pieces (textiles, clothing, etc.).
- I also love this elegant Espalier photo from Dani Palencar taken in Society Hill, Philadelphia.
- Good luck not crying happy tears when you watch this 102-year-old dancer see herself on film for the first time.
- Must-Reads: D*S Goes to Washington: Peek inside the White House China Room, Garden, Kitchen and see the new state china collection!, 13 Amazing Female Podcasters to Follow, 18 Reasons to Love STRIPES.
- Sneak Peeks: The Golden Carrot Jewelry Shop in Hoboken, A Stylist’s 1830s Home, A Home Among The Eucalyptus Trees in Australia, A Sunny SF Rental, A Red Hook, Brooklyn Apt That’s Home to 2 Designers, A Bright Bungalow in Australia.
- Before & After: Jenna’s Laundry Room Makeover
- DIY Projects: DIY Rope Coil Doormat
- Recipes: 10 Healthy Meals from the Garden
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Life & Business: Smart Submissions (When to Send, Lend and Say No), What To Do About New VAT Laws, Profiles: Jamie Leigh Moore.