Seven years ago I walked into the New York Public Library to embark on one of the most fun and creative collaborations I’ve done to this day. Along with the librarians from the NYPL, I worked with five artists from Brooklyn to document the creation of products they made, inspired by the library’s collections. The final result was a four-part video series, Design by the Book, and a huge party at the library that debuted each designer’s collection to excited viewers and fans. It will always be one of the highlights of my work life and I’ll never forget how exciting it was to air the final episode in person in front of friends and family. A few similar projects popped up shortly afterward (it meant so much to talk to other public libraries about how to do something similar) and I was thrilled to hear yesterday that Etsy collaborated with another great NYC institution, The American Museum of Natural History, to create new work!
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the greatest, most inspiring and most legendary museums in NYC culture. It’s been depicted in countless movies, has hosted numerous Hollywood parties and book debuts and seems to loom large in the childhood of anyone who grew up here. It’s quite simply one of the most special places I know. The gem room there is basically my dreams come to life. So it’s no surprise that Etsy’s wholesale artists were able to find plenty of inspiration to create special pieces. From prints inspired by ancient eggs and jewelry inspired by fossils to posters and banners dedicated to wildlife and travel, the pieces these artists created capture so much of the museum’s spirit of discovery. To check out the full collection and shop online at the AMNH, click here. A big high five to everyone involved for celebrating such a wonderful museum and all it has to offer. xo, grace
- The team at Remodelista is predicting trends for the rest of 2015.
- This week’s episode of Fixer Upper was a homerun. Joanna’s design job for what looks like the only mid-century modern home in Waco, TX was a knockout.
- Looking for your own fixer-upper? Here are 6 historic fixer-uppers for sale online.
- Garrett is loving the interior design at this hotel in Granada.
- Beautiful vintage photos of pools. Come on, summer…
- Roberto Cavalli’s home is, predictably, dramatic and beautiful.
- I love these scented sachets packaged in map paper.
- Must-Reads: 17 Inspiring Photos of Texture, Trend Watch: Modest Minimalism, Dusen Dusen Home with Aidy Bryant of SNL.
- Sneak Peeks: Cafe Fargo in Buffalo, A Kansas Home Filled with Color, Architectural Charm in the Suburbs, A Collector’s Menagerie in Portland.
- Recipes: Meyer Lemon Gin Cocktail, The Pollan Family’s Grand Marnier Cake.
- City Guides: 24 Hours in Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Life & Business: Studio Tour: Souda, Profile: Taylor and Elaine of Local Wanderer, Marketing Can Be Beautiful.
- DIY Projects: DIY Clay Wind Chimes, DIY Orb Planter
- Before & After: A Modern Bathroom for a 1905 Farmhouse.