This time last year, Grace and I were embarking on a whirlwind summer of photo shoots for In the Company of Women. We had just planned the whole book’s production at Grace’s kitchen table in her Upstate New York home, and that trip was my first taste of the Ulster County area. We were busy booking more than 80 photo shoots, so the productive visit was short but sweet, and ever since last summer I’ve been wanting to go back.
Had I the chance to explore the area again, Kingston would be my first stop — especially with the recent installment of Clove & Creek. Using the natural beauty of Upstate NY to inform their collection of home goods and gifts, Scott Neild and Michael Cook opened the doors to their new mercantile a few months ago. Their thoughtful selection of earthy, comfortable and gorgeous wares — and a coffee bar in-house, to boot — makes for a shop I’d likely pop into frequently if I lived nearby, even just to chat and gather inspiration.
I spoke with Scott to learn more about Clove & Creek’s beginnings, the goods they carefully select to sell, and their desire to connect with the local community. Check out our Q&A after the jump, and click through the slide show to tour their lovely space. Here’s wishing everyone a fun and relaxing weekend. —Kelli
Photography by Christian Harder
- Musical Empowerment: This Pitchfork Q&A with Chicana punk and feminist icon Alice Bag about how certain music taught her to accept herself — from David Bowie to the Mulan Soundtrack — is moving and raw.
- Plant Shrine: Turn your (perhaps unorganized) affinity for plants into an organic design moment with this Bookcase Vertical Garden DIY from Justina Blakeney.
- Tomato Crush: I’m dreaming of this beautiful tomato jam Charles Hunter III (aka The Salted Table) posted on Instagram. Grab the recipe here.
- Small but Striking: These graphite drawings by Mateo Pizarro are about the size of a matchstick and packed with remarkable detail.
- Stop Knock-offs: Our very own Adam J. Kurtz is spearheading Shop Art Theft, which supports independent artists by highlighting their works that have been apparently copied by global fashion retailer ZARA.
- Ice Cream Airbnb: Ever wish you could stay in a space designed by uber-talented Jersey Ice Cream Co.? Now you can!
- Must-Reads: Using Your Power For Good, Comfort Zone: Afiya Francisco,
- DIY Projects: DIY Pounded-Flower Tote
- Food + Drink: In the Kitchen With: Frankie Unsworth’s Ice Cream Terrine
- Decorating: 10 Rooms Flaunting the Depth-Enhancing Wonder of Deep Teal, 8 Bedrooms That Offer a Retreat From the Heat, 14 Floral Happy Rooms That Bloom and Blossom, Tips For Adding Texture and Color to a Room with Cacti
- Interiors: A Stylishly Eco-Friendly Home in the Second City, Jolts of Color Restart an Old New Orleans Home, A Stylist’s Historic Beach Home in Oysterville, WA, Studio Tour: Play Clan, An Ontario Home Filled with Art, Life and Love, A Historical Landmark in Upstate NY Gets Revitalized