We all have (at least) a little bit of darkness in us. No matter how sunshiny your disposition and outlook are, you’ve probably been to a place that felt tough to climb out of. Whether it’s a funk, a bad day, or a deep hole, using your own creativity to pull through the bad stuff can be incredibly gratifying and healing. Which is precisely why Adam J. Kurtz’s new book, Pick Me Up, has me ready to handle any dark or sucky life moments that come my way.
Adam is a part of our D*S family, and he’s known for his humorously honest empathy for stuff that can be hard to talk about — like feelings. This page-by-page self-pep talk in book form, as Adam says, is “the realization that life and feelings don’t always follow a linear path. Life can be a confusing mix of murky possibilities. You will change repeatedly. Anything can always happen.” Flip to any page in the book, and you’ll find a chance to jot down goals, remind yourself of how amazing you are (because you ARE), doodle a wish, or maybe admit all the things you’re trying to make excuses for. It’ll pat you on the back when you need it, or not let you off the hook when you’re being impossible.
Adam’s book hits shelves on Oct. 4 — the same day as our new book, In the Company of Women! — but today he’s giving two readers the chance to win a copy of Pick Me Up for themselves and a friend! To enter to win two copies of Pick Me Up, comment below with a positive affirmation for yourself by Monday, Oct. 3 at 10 am EST. (Two winners will be picked by random selection to win two copies apiece.) Good luck, and have a great weekend! —Kelli
- Grand Entrance: As we enter the seasons of hosting and festivities, One Kings Lane’s design tips for small-space entryways couldn’t be more timely.
- Flower Power: I can’t stop thinking about this bold and whimsical mural Dana Tanamachi created for Emporium Pies in Dallas, TX. See more photos on her Instagram.
- Fashion Idol: This video by Vanity Fair featuring several celebrities — like Lupita Nyong’o — sharing their beloved style icons is such an interesting and fun clip.
- Votes Count: No matter your political preference, if you haven’t registered to vote yet, do it now.
- Costume Quest: If you’re a parent like me (or just really into Halloween!), you’re already on the hunt for the best costumes. Oh Happy Day has DIY kids’ costumes that will blow your mind!
- Pretty Priorities: Fall is a time when I reorganize and refocus, and these saddle ring file folders at Anthropologie would make for a lovely desk mate.
- Must-reads: What to Do When You Fail, In the Company of Women: Giveaway #1, Giveaway: Win A Consulting Session with Grace
- Beauty + Self-Care: The Beauty of Self-Care: Lesson 4 – Ritual + Aveda Giveaway, Seven Pajama Sets for Fall
- Before & After: Converting 188 Square Feet on Wheels into a Home, An Iowa Living Room Gets an Artful Makeover
- Food + Drink: In the Kitchen With: Sara Washington’s Food Reel – Stuffed Eggplant
- DIY: DIY Laptop Skin Using Images From Your Smartphone
- Decorating: Decorating for Your Differently-Abled Child + Giveaway, 12 Earthy Rooms Full of Decor Inspiration, 15 Modern Grasscloth Wallpapers for Fall
- Interiors: Nestled in a Nature Preserve, a New Jersey Couple’s Customized Retreat, A Dreamy Escape in the Texas Countryside, Studio Tour: Hello Miss May, Hasbrouck House Tour, A Beachy Retreat in the Heart of Brooklyn