At Design*Sponge we celebrate makers of all kinds – from talented textile designers to amazing illustrators to our clever and industrious community of readers who share their inspiring before and afters with us. In short, makers are the heart of our community.
So when we found out that the Mrs. Meyer’s team wanted to celebrate home makers alongside the artisans we typically focus on, we were on board. Starting today, the Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day team is on the hunt for their first-ever ‘Home Maker’ who will have a chance to win $75,000 for their contributions to the art of ‘Home Making’! Whether it’s finding time to keep a garden so your family has fresh food or using a few extra weekend hours to make clothes by hand, or just coming up with clever DIYs your family can do together for fun, we think home making is a skill worth a thousand (or more) rounds of applause. Home makers and home making, just like families, aren’t defined by or limited to old-fashioned ideas. We think modern home makers embrace the imperfect, do their best to balance life and work, and know that making a home is all about what suits your home and family best.
Over the next few months, we’ll be sharing details on how you can share your loving handiwork around the home with us and Mrs. Meyer’s. We’ll be featuring some of our favorite submissions from the Mrs. Meyer’s Home Maker opportunity here on Design*Sponge and I’ll be working with the finalist on a special DIY to share online! You can learn more about this opportunity and how to submit your Home Maker DIY at mrs.meye.rs/maker.
Our readers have been a constant source of inspiration for us and we can’t wait to see what DIYs and special ways you make your home yours (We’ve shared two of our favorite projects below). Until then, have a great weekend and we’ll see you Monday! xo, grace
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND NECESSARY TO PARTICIPATE OR RECEIVE AN AWARD. Submission Phase begins 09/01/15 at 8:00:00 a.m. ET and ends 11/20/15 at 11:59:59 p.m. ET. The Homemaker Hunt is intended for participation from residents of the 50 U.S. & D.C., 18+. Void where prohibited. Subject to Terms and Conditions available at mrsmeye.rs/maker. Brought to you by S. C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- I’m so intrigued by this story that says newsletters may be the new safe space for women to speak online. (NY Mag)
- Joy celebrated 10 years of the Oh Joy! blog recently and I love this look back at old posts.
- Speaking of Joy, I love this post on turning children’s paintings into “grown up” artwork.
- This 80s sticker collection is pretty amazing. (It’s Nice That)
- These kaleidoscope-inspired art installations are a must-see. (It’s Colossal)
- Yup, this upholsterer’s home is pretty much my fabric dream come-to-life. (One Kings Lane)
- This portable kitchen design is clever and cute. (Remodelista)
- Must-Read: An interview with the costume designer behind HBO’s GIRLS
- Studio Tours: Emily Jeffords, Priya Iyer of OUTT, Lily Piyathaisere of Gamma Folk, Miroco Machiko
- Fine Art Focus: Minnie Pwerle, Koo Seong Youn
- DIY: Three ways to mend your clothing, inspired by Japanese textiles.
- Food & Drink: Kate Doran’s recipe for homemade white loaf bread (with milk and honey).
- City Guide: Chicago, Illinois
- Life & Business: Profiles: Michelle Bablo, LaTonya Yvette, Pam Lau
- Interiors: A dream Saugerties farmhouse, A stately Baltimore home, Creating history in a contemporary home, A restful SF space, Bohemian-meets-Minimal in Katy, TX.
- Before & After: A modern loft makeover
Image above: My hanging planters DIY for Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day.