This week I’ve really been thinking about the importance of work-life balance. Between raising a 4-month-old puppy who has the energy of four dogs (something I’m sure is mutually felt by Grace as well, with the addition of her adorable Winky!), commuting 3+ hours each day over the last few weeks for work, and watching my house/yard to-do list grow with each passing weekend I spend working or attending events instead, I’m craving some serious downtime. On one hand, I’m thrilled to be so busy, given that it’s not a guarantee when you’re self-employed, but I’m also exhausted and starting to notice the effects of living to work rather than working to live. So I’ve started making it a priority to set aside time to just be (no phone, no TV, no work). Life really is too short to not be chasing after and doing what you want — even if that’s taking a short bath or snuggling with your pet. So TGIF and cheers to taking the weekend off (okay, maybe the yard work will have to be done and the vacuum will have to make an appearance!), enjoying the beauty of the afternoon spring sun, taking advantage of naps and being in the company of loved ones. –Sabrina
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights from DS and around the web:
- Eliot Rausch, one of my favorite filmmakers, just released this moving short titled El Pescador, which follows a conversation between an American investment banker and a Mexican fisherman about work and life. He also grabbed footage of the real fisherman singing. (via Vimeo)
- The opening weekend of the documentary Dior and I cannot come soon enough, which explores Creative Director Raf Simons’ labor of love through the creation of his first collection, to be done in just eight weeks. (via Dior and I)
- When I have a lot of work to accomplish, I grind it out with the help of podcasts (this week’s favorite came from Death, Sex + Money where W. Kamau Bell chats about rebuilding his career) and music (here are a few playlists).
- These darling wooden cities would make the perfect desk or office accessory! (via McKean Studio)
- It’s Friday, and it’s 5 pm somewhere! With spring in the air, summer around the corner, and the work week behind us, sit back and enjoy this Mango Ginger Fizz cocktail. (via Designlovefest)
- Gardening: Stop and smell the roses! This week, Grace talked about the influence Tasha Tudor’s Garden has on her as she plans her yard upstate.
- Must-Reads: Hannah Lee has been providing us with the most awesome downloadable patterns all week! Here’s Day One, Two, Three, Four and Five!
- Home Ec: Open Storage Solutions
- DIY: Hanging Half Frame, Bamboo Branch Starburst Mirror
- Sneak Peeks: An Art Director At Home in Park Slope, Step Into an Illustrator’s Sunny, Spanish Flat, Inside a Century-Old, Contemporary Colonial, In Madrid, Respecting the Old and Embracing the New
- City Guide: Providence, Rhode Island Update
- Food + Drink: Janet Fletcher’s Lamb Meatballs
- Life & Business: Profile: Cy Lauz of Chrysalis Lingerie, The Thrill of The Hunt by Jillian Bremer
- Before & After: Before & After: Paige and Todd’s Kitchen Renovation, Our First Before, Before & After: The Front Parlor at Fairview